Skip to content

C2H5OH in AD&D

KozaroKozaro Member Posts: 71
edited April 2013 in Off-Topic
I have tried to find out what the possible effects of AD&D's intoxication are, just because some of these rules could be implemented to a game in which Bartender *burp* asks the Charname if he wants some Ale.

This is the effect of my thorough research:
Reid Bluebaugh's The Complete Guide to AD&D Alcohol.
http://www.textfiles.com/rpg/add-alco.txt

EffectState of Intoxication
onSlightModerateGreat
Morale+1+2+3
Intelligence-1-3-6
Wisdom-1-4-7
Dexterity0-2-5
Charisma0-1-4
Attack Dice0-1-5
Hit Points0+1+3
% of Spell Failure2550100

I was amazed by the volume of his elaborate work, like highly detailed description of still explosion (!) or new spells, like:

Intoxicate (Enchantment) Reversible
Level: 1
Range: 100 feet
Components: V, S, M
Duration: special
Casting Time: 1
Area of Effect: 1 creature
Saving Throw: Neg.

This spell allows the mage to increase a person's intoxication
state by one. Thus, a sober person would become slightly intoxicated, a
moderately intoxicated person would become greatly intoxicated, and so
on.
The reverse of this spell will decrease a person's intoxication
state by one.
The material component is a pint of pure alcohol.

Implementing this kind of magic could be hilarious, especially where "Intoxication" Icon already exists in the Baldur's Gate series. Casting it on hostile mage "Vita, Mortis, Car *burp*... What was I?" or resolving Beregost's bar fight in an additional way could be at least - more fun.

Maybe impaired with new Monk's subclass "Drunken Master" new playthroughs could be even more exciting...

What do you think?
Post edited by Kozaro on

Comments

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I like how a character's morale increases with a "great" intoxication.

This could make for an interesting mod, but as I said on a similar thread, I'd also implement new items you could buy at inns: alcoholic beverages to go, like potions. This way you could drink in dungeons.

For added hilarity, you could have drunk characters constantly starting interjections that say nothing but *hic!* - akin to what happened on Pagan: Ultima VIII when you drank too much.

That game kinda sucked, by the way.
  • KozaroKozaro Member Posts: 71
    edited April 2013
    Kilivitz said:

I'd also implement new items you could buy at inns: alcoholic beverages to go, like potions.

I think that it could mess up the game by shifting the burden from epic adventure to alcohol selection. Because of different types of iconic containers like one for the beer/wine/vodka and limited space of character's backpack that could be just too much. But... on the other hand these could serve as icons of different levels of instant intoxication.

I imagine certain quick slot item automatically used when PC fails a morale check. Well, the Horror is one of the most annoying spell in the game. When cast on a player, to be clear. Why not enabling an additional save after the character consumed one of his quick slot items (at the cost of intoxication penalties)? Not only beverages but mainly - magical potions. It should be an instant reaction when the life of PC and companions' on stake. I often was aggravated by the fact that character had proper potion in his quick-slot, but nonetheless was still panicked for... IMHO - way too long period of time.

While adding new items is one solution, adding a special ability to certain classes is other. Like there are no poison bottles for any other class than Assassin or Blackguard. Instant Intoxication would be of Drunken Master. Simple. And clear.
    Kilivitz said:

For added hilarity, you could have drunk characters constantly starting interjections that say nothing but *hic!* - akin to what happened on Pagan: Ultima VIII when you drank too much.

Heheeheh *burp*

It was, as always, a matter of protocol. Of discretion. Of careful etiquette. Of, ultimately, alcohol. Or at least the illusion of alcohol.
    - T. Pratchett, Interesting Times
    Post edited by Kozaro on
    edited April 2013
    Kozaro said:

Kilivitz said:

I'd also implement new items you could buy at inns: alcoholic beverages to go, like potions.

I think that it could mess up the game by shifting the burden from epic adventure to alcohol selection
    Maybe not if you have just 2 or 3 unique beverages available (also stackable). Of course, I wasn't suggesting converting the whole menu of inns to purchasable items!
    edited April 2013
    Okay @Kilvitz. I think it is a splendid moment to learn how to mod a game.

It would consist of new Character Kit, 3 potions, 1 spell, re-invented 'Intoxicated' status... And, of course, the Battle Mug +1. Which could refill itself.

At least Garrick could benefit from it. Becoming truly playable character with his epic songs to sing while morale and HP amazingly boosted.

PS. Unforunately I have checked Pagan: Ultima VIII review. http://blip.tv/the-spoony-experiment/ultima-8-pagan-5924797. Half an hour irreversibly lost ;).
    Mod away sir! I'll be glad to provide help if I can.
    Kozaro said:

PS. Unforunately I have checked Pagan: Ultima VIII review. http://blip.tv/the-spoony-experiment/ultima-8-pagan-5924797. Half an hour irreversibly lost ;).

Hah! I've seen this video before (Spoony does some amazing reviews). That messed up game was one of my first experiences with cRPGs.
    edited April 2013
    I would like to share some of my thoughts about a Charakter Kit I plan to make. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

D R U N K E N     M A S T E R

Intoxication adjustment:
    Intoxication penalties are reduced by 1 per every 4 levels of Drunken Master (starting from 4th).

Drink Like a Demon:
    This comes from original class description presented in 3rd edition's Sword and Fist Handbook.

Drink Like a Demon (Ex): A drunken master’s body handles alcohol differently from other people’s. He can drink a large tankard of ale, a bottle of wine, or a corresponding amount of stronger alcohol as a move action. Every bottle or tankard of alcohol he consumes during combat reduces his Wisdom and Intelligence by 2 points each, but increases his Strength or Constitution (character’s choice) by 2 points. A drunken master may benefit from a number of drinks equal to his class level. The duration of both the penalty and the bonus is a number of rounds equal to the character’s drunken master level + 3.

I would divide it to 3, each ability representing the rank of AD&D Demon, and Intoxication level. Their names also an remind a transition from a sober to gibberish speech ;):

Drink Like a Dretch:
    Auto Intoxication I, 1/day

Effect: +1 bonus to Constitution-, +10% reistance against crushing slashing piercing, and missle damage
    Duration: 5 rounds +1/3 levels

Ability inspired by a Barbarian's 11 level special ability, the resistances of Dretch as well as unique abilities of die-hard parties participants.

Drink Like a Bar-Glura:
    Auto Intoxication II, 1/day

Effect: +2 to hit rolls and damage rolls, -2 AC
    Dutration: 4 rounds + 1/3 levels

Refers to berserk and to appearance of this gnasty demon.

Drink like a Fraz-Urb'luu (?):
    Auto Intoxication III, 1/day

Effect: +4 bonus to Strength-, immunity to all Charm, Hold, Fear, Maze, Stun, Sleep, Confusion and Level Drain.
    Duration: 3 rounds + 1/3 levels

Refers to rage. Constitution- bonus would be a bit too much.

Drink like a Dragon:
    Breath of Flame like 3rd level Dragon Disciple 1/day, -1 Intoxication level.

Inspired by:

Breath of Flame (Sp): A 10th-level drunken master can ignite some of the alcohol within his body and spew it forth from his mouth as a free action. This breath of flame deals 3d12 points of fire damage to all within the 20-foot cone, or half damage to those who make a Reflex save (DC 10 + the drunken master’s class level + the drunken master’s Con modifier). Each time a drunken master uses breath of flame, it consumes one drink’s worth of alcohol from within his body, lessening the penalty to his Wisdom and Intelligence scores and reducing the bonus to his Strength or Constitution score (character’s choice).

Level progression:

Level 1: Drink Like a Demon (Dretch, Bar Glura, Fraz-Urb'luu)

level 6: Drink like a Dragon

level 9: Becomes Immune to Poison 2 levels earlier than casual Monk

level 12: Additional use of Drink Like a Demon/day, Additional use of Fire Breath that deals damage as 6th level Dragon Disciple removing 2 Intoxication levels

Level 18: Additional use of Fire Breath that deals damage as 9th level Dragon Disciple removing 3 Intoxication levels.

Pros:
    - Drink like a Demon
    - Drink like a Dragon
    - Intoxication adjustment
    - Battle Mugs being treated as fist attacks

Cons:
    - May not use Lay on Hands ability
    - May not use Quivering Palm ability
    - Doesn't receive Monk's 9th level resist Charm ability.
    - Intoxication penalties
    Post edited by Kozaro on
    edited April 2013
    And there is the source I have based on: http://www.guilesworld.com/role-playing-games-stuff/pathfinder-roleplaying-game/drunken-master.html

On the one hand Stunning Blow appears to be too strong while the Monk having bonuses to Strength- and THAC0. On the other Intoxication III means -5 THAC0 penalty...

Different DLaD abilities should be stackable.
    Post edited by Kozaro on