Skip to content

Detect Traps & Hide in Shadows

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
edited September 2013 in Archive (Feature Requests)
The user and all related content has been deleted.
  1. Detect Traps & Hide in Shadows74 votes
    1. Yes. Having the option to activate both thief skills simultaneously would be good.
      74.32%
    2. No. I prefer the current system of one skill being active at a time.
      14.86%
    3. Requires further discussion.
      10.81%
Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    I can't think of any reason why not, but someone else may be able to come up with something.
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    Both, because it is what a good thief would do, provided you get a penalty to speed or stealth or both.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    It would make scouting a lot more useful and a lot less dangerous.
    Plus, it doesn't make sense that a thief can't hide and look around at the same time.
    Approved.
    SscoootzZ
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    Uh, fully support it! Those poor bastards can't use any of their thieving skills without breaking stealth.

From a reality pov: what does detect traps involve? Looking. Now, why on Earth would that break stealth?
    From metagaming perspective: It would be soooooo useful for a scouting thief in a dungeon to be able to at least FIND the traps while in stealth, if not able to disable them. I never dared to used stealth in dungeons bacause I was so afraid of triggering a trap. I also never understood why can't I do both?

And if thieves are arguably the most required class in the game, let them be good at what they do: opening locks and finding traps. Hell, even Thorin's dwarves brought Bilbo along with them so that he would be able to scout the dragon's dungeon for them!
    EdvinInfiltratorRedViiperSscoootzZ
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Wow I picked the losing side here :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    This is a huge pet peeve of mine. Ill even go so far as to say thst detect traps and detect illusions should be passive skills entirely. i would kill for a mod that made them such.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited September 2013
    Technically they are supposed to be passive, but unless you're actively concentrating on using them and nothing else, you only get 1/2 of your skill bonus. So you'd need 150% find trap to have a decent chance of detect most traps passively. 100 DI though would be plenty, since 50% is decent for DI, since unlike FT it's not on a threshold system, it's just X chance per round per illusion in range.

Except for the Inquisitor who get his full Detect Illusion bonus at all times.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    This would be a great feature imo. I don't see a reason why you shouldn't be able to detect traps while hiding in shadows. I mean you can run when hiding..
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    Sounds good...with some attached penalties to having both active at the same time since multi-tasking has been proven to reduce the efficacy of all involved tasks in most cases.
  • Edwin_OdesseironEdwin_Odesseiron Member Posts: 226
    edited September 2013
    Absolutely not. One thing at a time.

If a thief is hiding, he is focused on keeping hidden, melding with the shadows and being unseen. Looking for little telltale signs of traps would make him lose focus on hiding as efficiently. I like it the way it is.

What I would like to see is the thieving utility button always available, no matter the armour worn. Whilst sneaking around would be difficult in full-plate or chain mail that jangles loudly, why can't a thief disarm a trap, pick a lock, or even pickpocket someone whilst in armour? The pickpocketing could be difficult, but I've never seen a reason why the other two things could not be done in armour.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited September 2013

What I would like to see is the thieving utility button always available, no matter the armour worn. Whilst sneaking around would be difficult in full-plate or chain mail that jangles loudly, why can't a thief disarm a trap, pick a lock, or even pickpocket someone whilst in armour? The pickpocketing could be difficult, but I've never seen a reason why the other two things could not be done in armour.

I think you can pick locks in heavy armor. I think you can even detect traps.

[EDIT] Now that I think about it, you might not be able to pick locks... But I do seem to remember being able to detect traps.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    What i never know and always wanted to is, why @Bhaaldog was banned in first place, making a quickly research of the deleted user and the posts refering to him i found it to be bhaaldog.
    Edvin
  • dosentti666dosentti666 Member Posts: 20
    Thieves should always be detecting traps automatically, whether in stealth mode or not. Like a permanently active find traps spell.