Skip to content

Show some love for the boxed edition

KoreKore Member Posts: 245
Trent's tweet "The massive question regarding a boxed copy is how many people really want one and how much it will cost. Awesome box is costly"

Trent needs us to show them how much we want a boxed copy, otherwise it might not happen. I don't know about you, but I'm still hoping for a Sarevok LEGO minifig and a tshirt so I definitely want the boxed edition.

Comments

• trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    frankly, i will take even a plain sony dvd wrapped in a cheap monochrome cardboard.
    i dont mind paying at all for the awesome box containing figure, map etc (although personally i'm not really a fan of such extra stuff).

just please, give a real, material, version of the game! oh and whoever suggested USB instead od DVD i STRONGLY support that idea.

so there, my vote goes to boxed edition with usb medium! yes please!
  • Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    sounds fun if a CE was made.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    As I told Trent on Twitter, if a boxed edition was released I would buy it for sure. That is a FACT.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I definitely want a boxed version, a Collector's Edition of some kind would be spectacular, but I'd be fine with a plain version too.

As for the pricing, I've been paying 80-100€ for recent CE's. But that's certainly a tricky thing to discuss without knowing the contents.
  • DarkShrikeDarkShrike Member Posts: 17
    I stand behind a boxed edition also. I want this to be incredibly successful so that not only does the Baldurs gate series get all the attention and love that it deserves but that also they can afford to go back and look at all the other classic RPG games that deserve a litte face lift for modern hardware/operating systems.
  • technophobetechnophobe Member Posts: 68
    I've got a few copies of BG and BG2, everything (maps, manuals, disks) but the boxes themselves. :(

I'm pretty sure, as long as Oster & Co. don't go all next-gen iTard with this project, that I'll be buying this just for the box.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    I would also buy a Collector's Edition. I doubt I would for a normal boxed version. I'd stick to digital then.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    edited June 2012
    I'd definitely get the collectors edition- no hesitation. T-shirt sounds good actually- haven't got enough of those to nerd out in- maybe a decal of the new NPC and FAI artwork... I also support the USB idea in place of DVD format. Since there was already an 85/15 vote in favor of a cloth map over paper, I suppose I wouldn't be getting a large wall map of the Sword Coast, but, oh, well.
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    Count me in for a Collector's Edition. Especially if there's a map. I like maps.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Im In !!!!!! Show me the BOX !!!!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @HeroicSpur: I like that idea. And I would certainly be on the pre-order list.

What kind of cost are we talking, here? $50? $100?
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I still have the original box, manual, and map from the first release pf BG, although it is in storage half way around the world. Frankly a box and map is a waste of resources, Digital downloads are the way to go. My next computer won't even have an optical drive.
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    @Aosaw: I think it's up to Trent to decide that! The cost would obviously be contingent on how much it costs to actually produce the collectors edition. How much will it cost to print the manual? How for the print on the cloth map? How much will it cost to produce the physical media (dvd or USB stick), the value of the game itself, the physical cost of the box itself, supply and distribution costs etc.

Naturally the higher they decide to set the threshold the greater the economies of scale would be in the subsequent production, and the lower the cost would be. Producing 10 special collectors edition boxes would cost more per box than 100.

An artificial cap on price may make it more difficult to produce. Although that said I would say a ballpark maximum of £45 ($69). That's considering this is an EE rather than a new game, and that the IPAD version will cost about £7. We also don't really know what'll be in it. This is also taking into account I'll probably be buying three copies for multiplayer purposes (although not 3 CEs).

For BG3 naturally the amount I'd be willing to pay for a special collectors edition would be significantly higher.

@Space_hamster: you're right I think. I would strongly advise against a boxed copy of the game, EXCEPT for a limited special edition. I don't think it's a practical commercial step these days to do other than distribute via online platforms.
    Well, the only reason why having BGEE at retailers won't be practical is more due to the nature of the project rather the irrelevance of retail stores for gaming.

We're still not at that point where people get most of their games online.
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    @Space_hamster Collectors editions are rarely a matter of practicality :) What would you prefer instead of a map or box? I think special item vendors and unique in game featured can be fun, but they will be modded into the game for everyone else almost instantly ( I have nothing against this), so in order for a collector to get their monies worth it really needs to be something physical. Personally I would love a mini figure of some sort.
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    @Tantahalas: very few physical retailers stock pc games at all, and those that do tend to be limited to major titles. like you say I don't think BG:EE would fall within that category.

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    How about a special collector tin, in the shape of a treasure chest, or with a map of BG imprinted? :)
  • MoonsongMoonsong Member Posts: 36
    Count me in for a Boxed set. I would also probably buy a couple extra copies to give as gifts to some of the poor,
    rpg goodness unenlightened, young’uns I know.
  • MoonsongMoonsong Member Posts: 36
    Oh! Space_hamster I love that idea!
  • veevitoveevito Member Posts: 35
    I would be seriously interested. I still have the metal spiral bound BG2 manual. That would have to be included.
  • FranticFeyFranticFey Member Posts: 31
    I would definitely be a pre-orderer and purchaser of any boxed edition/CE. There's just something about having the game in your hands for the first time as you install, as well as physical manuals to read through (despite knowing everything in it) and perhaps even a nice map or mini-figure to treasure.

I did like the earlier idea about the boxed set being contingent upon a certain number of pre-orders. Perhaps they could set up something where they can gauge interest via people pre-ordering with a form but not actually spending their money, and then at a later date, if they have enough pre-orders, actually charging the cost.
  • veevitoveevito Member Posts: 35
    When is this game releasing? I thought I heard summer, although that may have been the ipad version only. Probably later for the PC release.

Just wondering if they have the lead time needed for a threshold type of sign up. Dependent on what would be included, ie. statues made, quality manuals and maps printed etc...

Summer is the projected release season, but per Google, summer doesn't end until September 21. So there's time yet. :)
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    edited June 2012
    Lets not forget. Trent has said game itself would probably cost only $10 - 20 dollars. This IS a game made in the late 90's with enhancements... so not a full priced PC title so hopefully not in the high range of CE pricing.

I would LOVE to have a full tome boxed copy to stick on my top shelf. And a neat little mini-bust or figurine would be cool (like a stone Sarevok was my earlier suggestion). I would really appreciate some collectiability added to these sets... a random item or rarity. Something signed?

I would be willing to pay upwards of $60 - $80 depending on the quality of the CE along with the value.
  • RhadagastRhadagast Member Posts: 2
    I would, without a doubt, purchase a CE. A nice cloth map and a manual would be awesome! And if it came in a collectors tin, even better!

And I really like the USB idea.
    My new idea, which on the whole might be more cost-effective for Overhaul:

Wait until the release of BG2:EE, and then release a "Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Collection", which comes in a commemorative tin, and BGEE and BG2EE (and their expansions) all on a single, commemorative USB stick. Then you can include the map and any other collectibles you feel like including, and slap a $100 price tag on it, and not only will it be everything we want all at once, but it will be cheaper to produce, thereby increasing the profit margin, which will help pave the way for a Baldur's Gate 3.

It would mean the rest of us have to wait a little longer before getting our boxed set, but I'd rather wait and get something really special, instead of getting something right now that has to be produced "on the cheap".
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited June 2012
    I would pay top dollar for a boxed collector's edition of BG:EE. Provided the EE part works out and the contents of the box are quality.

I probably shouldn't be naysaying, but I bought the NWN2 Chaotic Evil box off the internet once. The contents really weren't all that great. The art book was printed on this strange, rough, matte cardboard which destroyed any detail in the print and was plastic ring-bound. You got a plastic D&D monster which wasn't all that exciting. The bonus discs were great but were in a horrible sleeve (the CD's worst enemy). The map was alright, printed on paper (I prefer canvas or linen).

The only good thing about it was the pewter ring with the NWN eye on it. That was epic. The box it all came in was cool too.

Now that I've destroyed the reputation of that particular collector's edition, you do see my point. The contents really do need to be thought out and well made, not just a gimic.
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    I would definitley buy a collectors edition pack, I've bought enough of the regular ones over the years!
    @Aosaw

I honestly wouldn't like having to wait for BG2EE for a boxed version of the game. That way I'd have to buy each game twice, kind of hard for me to justify that to myself.
This discussion has been closed.