Skip to content

Planescape: Torment Worth Buying?

WakukeeWakukee Member Posts: 106
edited April 2013 in Off-Topic
I have never played PST before, and having heard about Tides of Numeria, I was wondering if you guys thought it was worth the buy. Should I wait for an EE version, or are there sufficient mods that the game will be cool enough without it?
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited April 2013
    No Enhanced Edition is planned by anyone currently, so you might wait forever. If you like an RPG with a deep, introspective story, tons of extremely well-written and thought-provoking dialogue, then there are few games that can compare with PS:T.

This is a good modding guide for PS:T: http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.ca/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    Absolutely. It's ten bucks over on GOG so what have you got to lose? I played it for the first time last year and it's possibly the greatest game I've ever played.
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    If you like adventure games -- story- and dialog- driven, with an emphasis on interesting puzzles and an unusual setting and story -- then yes. That's really what Torment is in my mind, the Infinity Engine notwithstanding. If you're expecting traditional RPG mechanics and strategic combat, you may be disappointed.

I liked it a lot, but only the second time around, once I knew what I was getting into.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    You can definitely play a no reload game.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    It lacks the exciting and dynamic combat of BG and IWD series, and if you are unfamiliar with the setting you might feel a little lost at first. However it has a very rich and different universe you might enjoy discovering, memorable characters, story and dialogues unparalelled by any other rpg out there. I still see it as an interactive novel though, because of lackluster combat. It's not terrible in regards to combat, but I've found it kinda tedious after a while.

In my opinion, PST has great story/characters and mediocre combat. IWD series have great combat and mediocre/bad story, and no joinable characters at all! I find BG series to be the most balanced, with best of the both worlds, thus perfect. BG has good story and memorable characters. Story and content wise PST is bigger than BG, but BG's combat is amazingly tactical and fun, thus I find BG more fun to play.
  • mforwwmforww Member Posts: 78
    Does a bear poop in the woods?

But seriously, it's worth a playthrough. Not as great as some proclaim to be, and a little slow at times, but entertaining nonetheless.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    It depends. Are you the type who greatly prefers a FPS over, say, a novel with astonishing character development that makes you question your moral and ethical foundations?

PST offers just as much in the realm of introspection as it does as a game.
    edited April 2013
    PT in my humble opinion has the best plot ever.
    Dialogs are (not just in my opinion) incredible (some could be considered boring, but even Herman Melville could be considered boring).
    Characters are weird, unique, freak, in one word unforgettable.
    Your stat will be crucial in your dialog option (and they will determine your playstyle).
    Trying to roleplay your favourite alignment will be a challenge (and you will know in real time if you are succesful).
    It's true that combats aren't so tactical (you can kill most enemies even with a mage fighting with only a knife). And it's true that combat isn't the best part of the game.
    If someone looks for a combat game, PT is the wrong one.
    But if you aren't afraid of spending hundreds of hours (maybe not hundreds, but really many many hours) reading dialogs (NPC will explain to you the strangest things you can imagine) then definitely buy it.

Concerning MOD, I played it last time a couple of months ago. I played it Modded (it was the first time I plaed it modded), I used 4-5 Mod, and I think that everything needed to improve it is in those MODS.

I used these mods
    http://www.shsforums.net/files/category/14-planescape-torment/

And here it is how to install those mods (if you are buying it from GOG read this)
    http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.it/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html

13 years has passed, but I'm still asking myself "What can change the nature of a man?"

And finally remember that:
    "endure in enduring grow strong"
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    I started playing it about 12 years ago and it was absolutely amazing. Guess that's weird as I quit around level 4 and have no idea why. The story up until then was wonderful, I was sooooooo totally lost and I guess that was the whole idea =).

Another suggestion; Stay away from information about the game, I think the less you know beforehand, the better.

Nameless one, here I come!!!!
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    PS: T is about story, and very little about combat. If you enjoy a great story in a fantastic setting, don't miss it! You will regret it for the rest of your life.

And for me, it is regret that can change the nature of a man!
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I disagree that it is not about combat as well - the weapons and spells of the game are just too much fun!
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Well, I bought it several years ago. Just the game made me buy it. I couldn't resist the urge to own it.
    Of course it was translated well and that was another reason.
    Venture the planescape as immortal mysterious character, with floating-talking skull? That was interesting.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    The beginning is really slow, a big pet peeve for me, but once it gets rolling it is a must play, especially if you are already coming into it with knowledge of AD&D.
    People are saying that the beginning is slow, but I also disagree - the beginning gives you enough time for immersion and to get to know people in the city .

The upper levels help you get to know the city without being boring. This is not to say there aren't memorable moments in the early game, but it could've been a lot more streamlined.
    In fact, at the beggining all you think is "where can I find that Pharod dude" , and start investigating.
    I don't consider boring the beginning.
    I think that the beginning is very difficult, you don't know how to play, especially if you are used to the kind of rpg where killing enemies is the most part of the game. If you do the mortuary part in the right way then you definitely are IN the game.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    It took me awhile to get into it, but I loved it. It's a classic well worth the time invested.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    DJKajuru said:

In fact, at the beggining all you think is "where can I find that Pharod dude" , and start investigating.

Nowadays there would be an marker on the minimap showing his location, and if you pressed tab, you'd get a sparking line of bread crumbs showing you the quickest route to reach him.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    jess. jess you should buy it.
    ajwz said:

DJKajuru said:

Nowadays there would be an marker on the minimap showing his location, and if you pressed tab, you'd get a sparking line of bread crumbs showing you the quickest route to reach him.
    Except going directly to Pharod as the game implies is a really bad idea. New players should at least be pointed to some of those side quests first.

ajwz said:

DJKajuru said:

Except going directly to Pharod as the game implies is a really bad idea. New players should at least be pointed to some of those side quests first.
    Exactly. Besides, this is one of the games where you really want to read every single dialogue!
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    By the way If you wait for enhanced edition of planescape torment, I recommend not buy gog version.
    But no one sure about how long you got to wait, since there is not a slight info about enhanced edition.
    Maybe you kickstart enhanced edition by yourself is much faster and have more chance than waiting.
    Just a thought ;)
    P.S. For this game mod is not necessary. That would be like painting the lily.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Teflon said:

P.S. For this game mod is not necessary. That would be like painting the lily.

There's several mods I'd recommend for PST. The widescreen mod, the fixpack and the tweak pack (some of the tweaks at least). I also think they did a good job with the unfinished business mod.

Unfinished business is decent, it is more conservative in what it restores than a lot of other UB mods out here, which I like. Don't get that Deionarra add-on when it prompts you though, it was a nice gesture by the fans but it isn't very good.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    You HAVE to buy, you HAVE to, you shouldn't you HAVE to. :P
    Its a very good game, maybe better than BG2:SoA.