Skip to content

1280 x 1024 display issue

Finally thought I'd split with the dosh and give EE a whirl. The game seems fine so far except for one niggle. In the utility screens (ie the ones accessed from the left side menu), the display is shifted up to align with the top rather than centred. Is this normal? Is there a fix? Main game screen has no issues. I'm on a 1280 x 1024 monitor, Windows 7, NVIDEA GeForce GTX 560 Ti.

Comments

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited April 2013
    This is a well-known side effect of the non-scaled GUI (screens not being vertically centered) so don't worry, the issue is not unique to your game!

The non-scaled GUI, although available, is not officially supported as of now.

EDIT: taking another look at the screenshot, it seems you haven't turned off the GUI scaling. In that case, it might be a side effect of playing on a 4:3 screen. I guess someone else will have to confirm that for you.
  • pacekpacek Member Posts: 92
    Does anyone else play on 4:3 screen? Surely there must be someone.
  • BugratBugrat Member Posts: 118
    You're not alone, I play on 1280 by 1024 as well and my game has the same issue. I'm not much help though, because I don't know how to fix it. I just figured they would correct it eventually, but maybe no one has reported it until now.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    BGEE is optimized for a 4:3 screen or wider. The catch is that 1280x1024 is actually 5:4 - narrower in proportion to 4:3. When the screen is narrower than 4:3, the engine doesn't scale the UI, functionally the same as big screen beta mode.

Why isn't it centered? Keep in mind that part of the UI doesn't change between game mode and these UI screens, so the icons on the left and right are always present. If the UI panel were centered it would look awkard with respect to the other UI elements (see my bad paint hack).

Could it be better optimized? Probably, but I wouldn't expect a change to this in the short term. There are some ideas kicking around for improving big screen mode, and if/when these get implemented, 5:4 screens would benefit from those improvements as well.
  • pacekpacek Member Posts: 92
    Thanks @Cerevant, I just wasn't sure if it was a local problem, at least now I know it's working as intended.