Skip to content

Making NPCs into classes completely against type

failedlegendfailedlegend Member Posts: 9
Hey guys I've finally gotten some time to play through this and I thought it would be fun to mess with the NPCs classes using BEEkeeper and than I thought if I'm doing that I may as well make it funny by assigning classes that go against the characters concept.

ie. Minsc the Sorceror or Imoen the Barbarian (stats adjusted accordingly)

I was just wondering other than their classes not fitting them (which is the point) will this ruin the story in any way beyond being funny?

Edit: Oh and please avoid any spoilers :)
Post edited by failedlegend on

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    It shouldn't.

I made Jaheira a monk in BG2 once (wanted to see what they were like) and it seemed to mess with his quest, characters not recognising she was in the party. All the other party members had their quests triggered normally though (like Valygar the barbarian and Jan Jansen the assassin) so it might've just been related to her. I say go for it.

PS: Roleplaying forum is probably not the best place for this discussion, you might want to have the thread moved.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Yeah, its not the in game role playing forum, its the play by post kind of role playing. An easy mistake to made.

That being said, I did try this kind of game years ago with weird classes, Minsc the sorceror included. Was different, Ill give it that. Worth a try if you want the party interactions and try out kits/classes that arent otherwise available without making your own custom party.

I dont recall their being any problem, Imoens scripted magic missiles at the beginning of BG2 still go off even if shes a straight classed swashbuckler.
  • failedlegendfailedlegend Member Posts: 9
    edited April 2013
    Heh Thanks guys...and sorry about the mis-post how do I move a thread?

Oh and here's my planned Party (stats will be adjusted in BEEkeeper to suit new class)

1 Imoen & 2 ??? - Fighter/Cleric & a Paladin (Cavalier), Barbarian or Fighter/Mage (Kensai see side-question 2)
    3. Dynaheir - Ranger (Archer) w/ Less annoying portrait
    4. Minsc - Sorceror (Dragon Disciple)
    5. PC - Gnome Mage/Thief (Illusionist)
    6. ??? - Bard (Skald)

Any recommendations for a pair of Non-Evil (or evil that won't anger other members) NPCs that would be funny as a the main frontliner type (or fighter/cleric if I make Imoen the main frontliner) and a Bard...preferably also with interesting quests,personalities,etc. related to them.

Side-Question: I heard KensaiX -> MageY is wicked OP and I'd love to try it out (I love gishes...Red Mages for life :D) but I can't see to find what X or Y should equal in BG1 anywhere (BG2 seems to be Kensai13/MageX but I don't think BG1 has that much XP)...any insight on that

Side-Question 2: Has anyone ever tried to apply a kit to an unrelated class ie. Archer applying to say for example sake a wizard
    Post edited by failedlegend on
    RAM021
    edited May 2013
    Ok so I've decided on

1 Imoen - Paladin
    2 Safana - Fighter/Cleric
    3. Dynaheir - Ranger (Archer) w/ Less annoying portrait
    4. Minsc - Sorceror (Dragon Disciple)
    5. PC - Gnome Mage/Thief (Illusionist)
    6. Coran - Bard (Skald)

Stats, Classes,etc. will be adjusted with BEEkeeper as necessary
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    That is great. But maybe edit your guy into, like, a Dwarven Jester or something =3
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Make Yeslick a skald. I always thought the norse-inspired dwarves should have the norse-inspired kit.
    CaptRory
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    CaptRory said:

That is great. But maybe edit your guy into, like, a Dwarven Jester or something =3

Drow Jester. Ask @Samus how awesome that is. ;)

JuliusBorisov

Make Yeslick a skald. I always thought the norse-inspired dwarves should have the norse-inspired kit.

hmmm...interesting idea :D
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Drugar said:

It shouldn't.

I made Jaheira a monk in BG2 once (wanted to see what they were like) and it seemed to mess with his quest, characters not recognising she was in the party.

PS: Roleplaying forum is probably not the best place for this discussion, you might want to have the thread moved.

Wasn't Jaheira's quest bugged in a gazillion different ways anyway?

Also, the OP of a thread can change its category at will, moving it to another forum. There's a drop-down thing at the top, as I recall. So you don't need to have it moved in order to move it.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    I don't think that would be to bug inducing in BG1 (except for giving appropriate feats & traits to the "modified" NPC), because there's not a lot of scripts, decisions, and so on that would cause problem to the NPC.

On the other hand, this might trickier in BG2 since their character depth is far more important.
    failedlegend
    PugPug said:

Also, the OP of a thread can change its category at will, moving it to another forum. There's a drop-down thing at the top, as I recall. So you don't need to have it moved in order to move it.

Ah I see now thx, I must be blind :P
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Sarevok as a fighter/mage who throws lightning from his hands.
    RAM021