Skip to content

Edwin and Minsc in same party... (spoilers)

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
... and I want to keep both. The party is on its way to complete both Edwin's and Misnc's quests to reach Dynaheir. But she will not be a party member. (It's a randomly generated no-reload speed game party.)

When I reach Dyna, should I

a) first remove Minsc temporarily, add Dyna have Edwin (and other evil NPCs) knock her off, then re-add Minsc
b) first remove Edwin temporarily, add and Ctrl+Y Dyna, then re-add Edwin (or does Edwin leave for good?)
c) something other.

I can no longer remember if Edwin and Dyna fight when Dyna is added and Edwin's in the party... If so, having Edwin fight Dynaheir in this game is not a desirable option. It's a no-reload game, so I don't want to risk Dyna actually getting lucky and winning. Nor do I want a fight between Edwin and Minsc, should Edwin kills her. Anyway, I can't afford to lose either Edwin or Minsc.

Thanking you in advance for your advice.

Comments

• FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
    I am not 100% sure, so if its no reload I would do it, but I think if you removed Edwin, Got Dyn, killed Dyn and removed her, then got Edwin again it would work. Again, I am not 100% sure on this.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited April 2013
    Lol, actually the game has solved this problem for me... Minsc got critted and killed by a gnoll slasher! I'll resurrect him when I get back to Nashkel. He should be none the wiser when he's brought back to life, I guess.

Edwin has five Sleep spells loaded up, so I think I should be able to take care of the gnolls with a CE female half-orc Assassin, Montaron, and Edwin. Actually, all I really need to do right now is put them all to sleep, grab Dyna long enough to kill her, and just scoot out of there. Or better yet, have the PC stealth and get to her, assassinate Dyna for Edwin, and stealth back out. But I don't want to come back, and I do want the XP and loot.
    Fubby said:

I am not 100% sure, so if its no reload I would do it, but I think if you removed Edwin, Got Dyn, killed Dyn and removed her, then got Edwin again it would work. Again, I am not 100% sure on this.

Thing is I'm not sure what happens if you dismiss Edwin. Doesn't he leave for good?

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    If you say "you can fight it out on your own", both leave, but as far as I can tell, they don't fight. Then you can just kill Dynaheir and Edwin will make his offer of "payment". He doesn't walk away.
    edited April 2013
    Well, unfortunately I just discovered that, in this scenario, when you do kill Dynaheir for Edwin, and Minsc is also a dead party member who is grayed out, the game engine then removes Minsc from the party. And then he's gone for good. Gah!

For this game I rolled

CE female half-orc Assassin
    Montaron
    Minsc
    Edwin
    Quayle
    Alora

This challenge limits you to only the NPCs you roll up. So it was a four person party until chapter 5 anyway. And now without Minsc, it's going to be really tough going. I can tank out Monty to -5 AC. But I think I really needed another tank to have a fair chance of making it very far... Oh well, I'll see how far I can get. :)
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    i think you would have wanted to keep minsc alive, but kick him out of the party out of sight. that is what i did back when i had both of them in the random game if i remember correctly.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Lemernis said:

Well, unfortunately I just discovered that, in this scenario, when you do kill Dynaheir for Edwin, and Minsc is also a dead party member who is grayed out, the game engine then removes Minsc from the party. And then he's gone for good. Gah!

For this game I rolled

Montaron
    Minsc
    Edwin
    Quayle
    Alora

This challenge limits you to only the NPCs you roll up. So it was a four person party until chapter 5 anyway. And now without Minsc, it's going to be really tough going. I can tank out Monty to -5 AC. But I think I really needed another tank to have a fair chance of making it very far... Oh well, I'll see how far I can get. :)

Kagain?

i think you would have wanted to keep minsc alive, but kick him out of the party out of sight. that is what i did back when i had both of them in the random game if i remember correctly.

Oh, definitely I wanted to keep him! Bear in mind, though, that when I actually got to Dynaheir, a new wrinkle had presented itself in that by then Minsc was dead/grayed out. If I had removed him from the party then he would have disappeared for good as well.
    Elendar said:

Lemernis said:

For this game I rolled

Montaron
    Minsc
    Edwin
    Quayle
    Alora

Kagain?
    Nope, in this contest (see here) you are limited to using only to the NPCs that you roll up. :)
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    This is why I don't enjoy these types of challenges. They require far too much meta-gaming for my tastes.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Just take Minsc first and save dinaheir, then speak with edwin with both Minsc and Dynaheir in the party, Eddy will complain a bit and try to dirt dynaheir reputation but will come along eventually.
    edited April 2013

This is why I don't enjoy these types of challenges. They require far too much meta-gaming for my tastes.

It happens that there's a No-Metagaming version included, if you think you'd like to have a go. Here's the description:
    No Meta-gaming

Same rules as 'Classic' but with one exception: No meta-gaming. Characters behave only according to what the they would/could know, not what you know as a player. I.e., your characters don't know what lies around each bend, nor where various magical items may be obtained, etc. So your tactical approach to the game flows from that premise. In-depth role-playing is not required. But it may be presumed that the PC would be on guard after the initial ambush in the Prologue. In the same spirit as no-meta-gaming, when you're rolling your PC please no outrageous min-maxing (no 3 Int, etc.).
    I don't think anyone has tried a No-Metagaming run yet. It's a much tougher challenge that way, obviously.

Really, whichever version you choose, in practice it becomes more or less a challenge to see how far you can get, personally, with a randomly generated PC and party. Very few make it all the way even with the Classic version (where you're free to meta-game).

The hardest version is with SCS installed and No-Metagaming. That's got to be a bear.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Heh, yeah. Thanks for the info. I don't have enough free time to play a normal game with any rigor. But I appreciate the info non the less.