Skip to content

How do you get the katana in Candlekeep without being a thief?

Hey guys,

Is there any way to be able to afford the katana in Candlekeep without being a thief and lockpicking everything?
I want it for my Half-orc kensai but he can't break the lock on the treasure that will help me afford it. Any way around it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    It'd have to be a Barbarian, since 'Zerker doesn't give you the STR increase that you need to bash locks. I think you need like 20-21 strength to bash the 1000 gold gem lock.
  • coryivmcoryivm Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for the advice, I definitely agree with you, but this will be like my 50th character. I have a particular image for my character. Just wish the avatar looked better. Hard to roleplay an orc when the sprite has a military haircut.

That being said I guess I could make a multiplayer game and create a throwaway thief (I want to use BG1 characters) to get the katana. Was hoping to avoid it I feel like that's cheating.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Did you get the bonus money from Firebead? I'm not sure if that's enough to tip the scales for you but its a good chunk of change.
    got me to about 500g. Lawful good kensai. I guess I could try and get my charisma high to lower prices and maybe get that dagger to sell but that would cost me 100g just to identify it.
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    Kill some guards, sell their plate mail? ;)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @coryivm, you can use BG:EE Keeper to choose green hair and green skin. If you choose the same color for both hair and skin, he should look bald. Be sure to have an extra save before messing with the colors, though, because a few (only a couple, but they're in there) Keeper colors will cause file corruption.
  • revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    a LG char with 18 Char should get a +1 dagger from Fuller. That might sell to get you enough.

@coryivm, you can use BG:EE Keeper to choose green hair and green skin. If you choose the same color for both hair and skin, he should look bald. Be sure to have an extra save before messing with the colors, though, because a few (only a couple, but they're in there) Keeper colors will cause file corruption.

Thanks for the tip I might do that.

I guess I could kill guards.

Exporting the character will let you keep equipment but not gold. So gather up as much loot as you can, spend the gold on equipment you need first then on goods you can sell (the temple has some expensive stuff) then reimport. Do it a few times and you'll have enough loot to sell.

Alternately use the console to spawn Alora. She has great pick pockets and open locks and should get you what you need.
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    @CaptRory

*scratch head*
    Well if you are going to use the console why not just spawn the katana itself?
    @secretmantra Well, there's cheating and then there's cheating. I don't really have a problem with spawning in party members early if I'd like to recruit them but wouldn't because they come too late in the game. And since making a multiplayer guy to loot the chest was already discussed, recruiting a thief early can't be any worse.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    coryivm said:

Thanks for the tip I might do that.

I guess I could kill guards.

At the point where your Lawful Good character is considering murder, I'd suggest you simply use ShadowKeeper to give yourself the gold.

Donate an extra 500 gp to a temple as soon as you can to even up the cosmic scales.
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    Or you wait chapter 6 ...
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    You have ONLY katana proficiency? If not, why not make due with whatever other weapon you picked until you get out of Candlekeep? Then grab the gem in the tree and shop in Beregost.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    It is a bit stupid to have a prof with 1 great (that you may not find, if you didnt know about CF!) Weapon. Yeah, the SOA Vanilla screws katanas, TOB, BG:EE also screw katana. It is a selfnerf, like ws.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited April 2013
    The problem with Katanas in Baldur's Gate is that there are not many of them around. The game even states that (or atleast magical ones)... While they are rather effective swords, as far as I know, you won't ever get anything beyond +1 Katana outside of the black pits (there, you get a +2 Katana) in BG:EE.
    Yeah I realize that there aren't many katanas in BG:EE and only one +1 late game IIRC. I wanted it for RP purposes and I know that there are way better choices from a gaming perspective but I wanted to have an half-orc character who was controlled and focused and something of a classic looking kensai. Plus I found a cool portrait of a half-orc kensai with katanas. I decided against killing guards as my character is lawful good and that would be cheating. I went with two handed sword instead.

Probably still look into shadowkeeping my avatar though. Or is that possible with NearInfinity? (I play on my iPad and have been using iFunBox to transfer to my Macbook) A half-orc kensai just doesn't look right as the human fighter model. Guess my only real option is the thief avatar. I wish I could make his avatar look like a mage with arch mage robes but I don't think that's possible.
    @coryivm: Yes, you can use NI to change your avatar. I tend to turn most of my mains into thieves, for example (if female: I confess that I hate the male thief hood).
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    As others stated, since you can't put all your initial proficiency points in the same weapon, just pick any other one until you are able to afford a Katana. That should be pretty soon if you take the gold from Firebead and the diamond on Ambush Site map. All perfectly legal and not against a Good alignment.
    Samus said:

Well technically you can return to Candlekeep later on in the game and get it...

Yes, but by that time you will have a +1 Katana from
    the Ogre Mage in the Cloakwood Mines.

• ArwernArwern Member Posts: 53
    I got one normal katana from...

Ogre Mage, just S from CandleKeep (sirine quest)

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    The only way to get a +2 katana or a 2° +1 katana is to play a Blackpits game, export a character from there with a katana, and start a multiplayer section. Create your character and import the black pit character, transfer the items to the character you just created and export him to start a new single game with it or copy/paste the save from mpsave to save directory.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    The pre-generated Thief is capable of picking the lock on the chest. You can easily roll him, steal the Katana, stash it in another box, then do the export-import trick to get the class you really want.

Or just don't pick up Katana proficiencies until later in the game and don't worry about it.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    the funny is:

Buy katana at a hard expense, the weapon break at the first hit! That would be cool XD!
    Use the thief to shoplight the katana XD

I had a bard do that last night.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    CaptRory said:

Use the thief to shoplight the katana XD

Thread title: How do you get the katana in Candlekeep without being a thief?
    @Luigirules I think we discarded that premise some time ago. we have advice up and down the Thief Continuum.