Skip to content

Bard songs

When you play a bard, what kind of music do you envision your character playing/singing?

Comments

• NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    edited April 2013
    The hedgehog song, mostly, with a bit of "A wizard's staff has a knob at the end."
  • dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    @Necomancer, I've never heard that. ...Interesting song...
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @dstoltzfus Its from Discworld. Specifically, Nanny Ogg. =3
    Necomancer
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    My jester plays this:
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited April 2013
    I'm sorry I can't find an isolated clip of what I want from this Wonder Woman episode, but please indulge me and go to 22:49. Andros here represents my exact character concept of the bard I imagine myself to be in BG at level 40, with godlike bard powers and HLA's. This is the ultimate in magic through music. I will post other examples if I can find them.

Please watch 22:49, for about one minute. (And more apologies, but the site requires you to sit through a 30 second commercial before you can watch it.)

http://www.thewb.com/shows/wonder-woman/judgment-from-outer-space-part-1/922eb369-d876-4731-b2a5-6eccbc817ec3

Here's another good "magic through music" example:

Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    I don't play a bard :P
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    I'm going to feel bad if I find out the OP was hoping for serious responses.
    @Necomancer, all in good fun.
    Here's another good one. Sorry about the video quality - it's all I could find on YouTube for the example.

edited April 2013
    Here's another excellent musical setting of a magical incantation from no less than THE Bard, William Shakespeare, by John Williams, for Harry Potter.

I like this setting for casting charms, horror, and summoning spells. Could also be used to summon fireballs. It's in the handy-dandy all-purpose magical key of E minor.

Any enemy who isn't a fool is going to realize that that colorfully costumed dude dancing around behind his party, leaping, joking, laughing, playing lute and pipe, and singing in verse, (if they can actually see him) is freaking casting spells. Deadly spells. And they should be just as worried as they are about any mage. Too bad for them that the bard is probably doing it invisibly.
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    I usually play bards (Jesters in particular) inspired by sirens, so the song they'd perform is probably something close to this.

[Deleted User]BelgarathMTH
    BelgarathMTH
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Basically anything by sonata artica
    Kamigoroshi
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    edited May 2013
    my jester plays this whilst he is invisible in cloakwood forest...

Eudaemonium
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Corvus Corax is probably the closest band to what I envision the Bard songs of Baldur's Gate to sound like, especially the Skald variety. Harps and lutes are well and good for romantic dreamers such as Garrick. Me, I chose battle drums and bagpipes any day of the week!

• secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    edited May 2013
    For my Jester:

My mama said to get things done you better not mess with major tom ...

• zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited May 2013
    ofc this title can't be wrong
    Apparently, jesters are popular.
  • OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201
    If you've ever read The Name of the Wind or The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss that is what I imagine my bard playing. It's a book so obviously I don't know what it would really sound like but the way he describes it is perfect and easy to imagine.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Well, my bard is currently named Cat Stevens...so take your best guess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Eudaemonium