Skip to content

Fun class to play?

I've, unfortunately, been a power-gamer all my life when it comes to making characters in RPGs (competitive friends rub off on me). So I'm wondering, stats and power aside, what is a really fun class for my next playthrough? I've only ever really stuck to Fighter, Cleric, Mage, Paladin or a combination of those things.

Comments

• NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    Sounds like you need to try bard, my friend. Oh the joys of bardom. To sing, to dance, to cast fireballs like a mage while having a longbow for backup while occasionally singing a song for fun that may debuff opponents, buff allies, or mayby just spin your blades in a fun time way.

Seriously, bards are a good class for fun and hard to power game with. The only thing I ever disliked about them is they're thief skills are super specialized only for pickpocketing.
    KidCarnivalAristillius[Deleted User]franco
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Bards are pretty boss.

The upside to the bard's pick pocketing specialization is that your party thief doesn't have to invest anything in Pick Pocket to get some nice stuff.
    lunarEudaemonium
  • FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
    Wild mages

That just makes everything fun. I was fighting the final boss and instead of actually doing something, my mage got a sex change.
    CaptRorylunarEudaemoniumEntropyXII
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Bards are fun.
    Thieves are fun.

Rangers can be fun (especially if you use their stealth abilities). Try a Stalker or Archer to get a different experience from the usual. Try a party of all Rangers and Thieves, turn everyone stealthy and walk around encounters.

Druids are fun, especially Avengers.
    [Deleted User]
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Bard all the way, especially Jester.
    [Deleted User]Necomancer
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    Depends what you like. Perhaps try a druid. But if you aren't interested, replay a class, and only pick a specific kit. Try a shapeshifter druid.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I like the Avenger Druids. The mage spells they get really round out their magic and keep them effective indoors where they might struggle a bit otherwise.
    [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Wild mage! It always surprises and amuses you. My guy had spent the entire final battle paralysed back in a BGT game, thanks to a 'held' wild surge, while my party did the fighting. Some 'hero' he was. lol
    CaptRory[Deleted User]
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Blade or Jester
    [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    This has been here several time, but my addition to most of already-mentioned classes/kits.

The Funny
    - a Bard (powergamers take a blade, others Skald or Jester) - to accept your main will not be the baddest mofo under the sun, but still a valuable and versatile party member
    - a Thief specialized into traps and other tactics, instead the traditional backstab-and-run. (Assassin as a trapper/archer disabler, Bounty Hunter and massive use of traps. Swashbuckler tends to play too close to a fighter, so might get a bit boring)
    - a scout (Ranger Stalker or a F/T) that scouts ahead and sometimes hit-and-run-towards-the-party honey trap.
    - RolePlay an insane Necro(philiac)mancer. (yes, I know, we've got Xzar for that, but still...)
    - Wild mage and invoke Wild Surges as much as you can
    - F/M/C utility CHARNAME with only 3-4 pure warriors/rangers/paladins in the party.
    - druids can be interesting too. (Avenger for a caster-druid, Shapeshifter for a melee)

The interesting/different, but tough
    - monks (and try to use the stunning fists to disable enemies) or the kits
    - solo Sorceror (optional - choose your spells alone, don't read the forums)
    - a mage with most of the best spells disabled (Enchanter or Diviner). No other mages in the group.
    - solo a Cleric kit
    - my favourite - "Rock band on Tour" (CHARNAME Blade + Garrick + Eldoth. Only.)

Basically the idea is to forget the usual power-gaming techniques and take something suboptimal, which will force you to use different tactics, than just "Fireball+hack and slash everyone till they stop moving".
    Eudaemoniumfranco
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Once you know what's coming in a game you have to work harder for the giggles for sure! Changing to a class you don't normally use is kind of like a short-cut to using self-imposed rules, forcing you to play differently, in a new way.

You might want to try things like no-reloads, no re-rolling on character creation, changing the way you rest, use consumables; To change up the way you enjoy the game. I know there must be lots of great RP things you could do, but not something I've done much of.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

Once you know what's coming in a game you have to work harder for the giggles for sure! Changing to a class you don't normally use is kind of like a short-cut to using self-imposed rules, forcing you to play differently, in a new way.

You might want to try things like no-reloads, no re-rolling on character creation, changing the way you rest, use consumables; To change up the way you enjoy the game. I know there must be lots of great RP things you could do, but not something I've done much of.

Good ideas, though I do allow myself to reload if CHARNAME dies (though I try my hardest to avoid this), but if I do this, I donate to a temple how much it would have cost to raise him back from the dead at his level. Also, on character creation I allow up to 10 re-rolls for "easy" classes, 20 for "hard ones" (e.g. Bard, fighter/mage, Avenger etc.)

Also, never reload on level up or drop to less than core rules, just take whatever roll you get, even a few bad rolls even out in the long-run usually.

JuliusBorisov
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    i played a dragon disciple with idea that i must take fire orientated spells were ever possible that was alot of fun especialy after getting 100% fire resistance
    [Deleted User]
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited April 2013
    bard scald
    thief not swashie
    druid or avenger
    Post edited by zur312 on
  • IrbisIrbis Member Posts: 49
    Sorcerer. Hats down.
    x10 if you solo and have a Ferret fam.