Skip to content

Adding BG2 spells to Icewind Dale?

KalabacKalabac Member Posts: 12
edited April 2013 in Off-Topic
The IWD2 spells are extremely bland compared to the rich and dynamic BG2 ones. Is it possible to add BG2 spells to it?
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KalabacKalabac Member Posts: 12
    right, which is why I am wondering if someone has a mod that works around that
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    IWD2 has basically the same spells as BG2, with only a few missing but adding a bunch of others - some of my favourites include Force Missiles, Prayer/Recitation, and Emotion: Courage/Hope. I'd rather ask the opposite.
  • KalabacKalabac Member Posts: 12
    BG2 has interesting spells like project image, spell sequencer, chain contingency, simulacrum, spell immunity....

IWD2 just has nukes and buffs and disables. Bleh. seems like a boring MMO class
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    It's more of an game engine thing rather than just ruleset, I think. IWD2 uses a heavily modified infinity engine and I think some tricks like Timestop, contingencies etc. are not possible within it. Unless a modder hacks and edits the base structure of IWD2 engine.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Unfortunately IWD2 was made under the aegis of 3rd Edition. Hence the classes and spells were nuked by that particular brand of D&D (not saying one is better than the other) and so it just is what you have to deal with. Same would be the case when/if BG gets modded into NWN2 (which I think is underway).

I know that a while back there was a mod that converted BG2 into 3rd edition. It did not translate well at all in my opinion.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Well about IWD, i would like to know if any mod converting BG/BG2 spells to IWD exist.

Druid Spells in IWD are awesome, cleric spells not so much and high wizard spells suck in this game (only monster summoning VII and power world kill).

If any mod to convert BG/BG2 spells (or Planescape: Torment spells that are somehow awesome in high levels) exist, please someone point me the way.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Instead of converting, it would be easier for modders to recreate such spells for BG2!
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I meant in fact a mod to be used on IWD, i'm just searching a mod for IWD where BG/BG2 spells are added to that game, the high level wizard spells of IWD sucks.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    That would be good.
    When you made that please let me know ;)