Skip to content

Best Elminster and Drizzt looks - 2nd or 3rd edition?

DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
edited May 2013 in Off-Topic
  1. Best Elminster and Drizzt looks - 2nd or 3rd edition?19 votes
    1. 2nd Edition - Gandalf like Elminster , Drizzt looks more threatening.
      57.89%
    2. 3rd edition - "Sean Connery" Elminster , Drizzt by Ed Greenwood
      42.11%

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I have to go with 2nd edition.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    2nd edition Elminster and if you mean this 3rd Ed Drizzt image then 3rd edition Drizzt.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    No pictures for comparison? :(
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud

2nd Edition:

3rd Edition:
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    2nd edition Elminster 3rd Edition Drizzt
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Everything has its reasons.
    The both of them were killed by Baldur's Gate players in 2nd edition ('Ho there wanderer, why thine bow be aimed at me?'), thus they had to reincarnate (i.e. respawn) in 3rd edition with slightly different looks. Mystery explained.

Also, Elminster, being the playboy he is, may not look like a bathrobe-clad caveman carelessly sporting a humungous beard and wearing a silly hat. Seriously, what on Toril would date that guy other than an extremely desperate elderly female ettercap? Probably only the said ettercap's mother. And that would be solely for nutritional purposes, anyway. Likely not even tasty.
  • Wikkid_SuhnWikkid_Suhn Member Posts: 136
    God said:

Everything has its reasons.
    The both of them were killed by Baldur's Gate players in 2nd edition ('Ho there wanderer, why thine bow be aimed at me?'), thus they had to reincarnate (i.e. respawn) in 3rd edition with slightly different looks. Mystery explained.

Also, Elminster, being the playboy he is, may not look like a bathrobe-clad caveman carelessly sporting a humungous beard and wearing a silly hat. Seriously, what on Toril would date that guy other than an extremely desperate elderly female ettercap? Probably only the said ettercap's mother. And that would be solely for nutritional purposes, anyway. Likely not even tasty.

What... are you talking about!?

And FYI, Elminister has sex with the goddess Mystra, which is quite a few steps above an ettercap. It's in like the first book dude.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I think you mean Drizzt by Todd Lockwood, not Ed Greenwood. Ed Greenwood is the writer of Elminster, I don't think he does Drizzt artwork.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    What... are you talking about!?

And FYI, Elminister has sex with the goddess Mystra, which is quite a few steps above an ettercap. It's in like the first book dude.
    I am basically talking nonsense. I see you have failed to notice that.

Engaging in intercourse with deities is nothing impressive - by my standards at least. And I did not even mention sex.
    I mentioned dating, a complex arrangement of social interactions certain sentient species pursue and which is of notable interest. This has little to do with sex, as the latter is a physiological activity whilst the former is a socio-psychological one. Said arrangement serves as a method of evaluating whether or not a specimen is valuable for a purpose, as well as of establishing the purpose said specimen could possibly be used for. Visual appeal of a specimen is usually a crucial factor. Therefore, Elminster might be considered a meal of inferior quality by some of extraordinarily hungry and poor-sighted old ettercaps, while younger or nutritionally satisfied ettercaps would show no interest in him whatsoever. That was one point.
    My second point was that the older (i.e. 2nd edition) depiction of Elminster is utterly repulsive. The newer is way more acceptable in terms of general aesthetics and also captures the concept of the character depicted better, in my opinion. Though I do agree that it might be considered dissatisfactory by those who are fans of the cliché I-have-a-giant-cone-on-my-head-and-a-beard-rodents-live-in popcultural wizard appearance.
    Last but not least, I made a very clever reference to the fact that Baldur's Gate players have killed Elminster and Drizzt in the past (and I certainly hope they still do and will continue this pursuit in the future) and it, in a way, coincedes with the difference in their looks. I am aware that humour is a phenomenon difficult to understand, especially when expressed in a language alien to the recepient. Perhaps my mockery is uncomprehended for a purpose. And that likely is in another book.
  • Wikkid_SuhnWikkid_Suhn Member Posts: 136
    @God: I stopped reading after a bit, but I think the gist of it is you're taking my post seriously... so I still don't know what you're talking about!
    Brom's Drizzt is the best Drizzt.

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I always pick 2e artwork over 3e artwork out of principle, but that's just me.
    2E artwork is very good. Check out Larry Elmore's site on his artwork. He's one of the best.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    edited June 2013
    That 3e Elminster looks much more like 2e Khelben Arunsun, if you ask me (not that anyone did).

As for Drizzt, my favorite image of him is less Brom and more Todd Lockwood. Yes, even Dark Elves can be pretty, and Drizzt is a fairly young Dark Elf.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Why are his eyes blue.....Drizzt's eyes are explicitly stated to be violet in color, except when using his infravision (in which they're solid, dull red with no visible pupils).
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    2nd is baldur's gate 1, right?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Teflon said:

Baldur's Gate 1, Baldur's Gate 2, and Icewind Dale 1 are all 2nd edition.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    elminster said:

Teflon said:

Baldur's Gate 1, Baldur's Gate 2, and Icewind Dale 1 are all 2nd edition.
    Thank you. Hey! your name is...... :)