Skip to content

The infamous "quest don't close" bug, solution

TaerskerTaersker Member Posts: 0
I tested this on "prism the sculptor" quest. I copied a save from BG:EE's save directory, to the save directory in my original BG2. Then opened the BG:EE save with "Shadowkeeper"(a save editor for the original BG).

When you get a new quest in game, it shows up in Shadowkeeper, under the fane "Global Variables". In Global Variables, the quest have a value; 0 for unfinished and 1 for finished. The quest "prism the sculptor" is called "OUBLEKBOUNTY2".

THE PROBLEM IS
When you get "Prism the sculptor" quest, it shows in your journal, but doesn't get saved in "Global Variables".
When you finish the quest, it does get saved in "Global Variables", as OUBLEKBOUNTY2 with a value of 1 (finished quest). But doesn't disappear from the journal.

SOLUTION
I opened a BG:EE save (just before talking to Oublek, finishing the Prism quest) with Shadowkeeper. Opened the fane "Global Variables" and added "OUBLEKBOUNTY2" with a value of 0 (unfinished quest). I copied the new edited save, to the BG:EE save directory, and opened the game. It worked, I spoke to Oublek, the quest finished and disappeared from the journal as it should.

I don't know the Global Variable names of the other bugged quests yet, Exept the Misc/dynahair quest it's: HELPMINSC. Add it to Global Variables (value) 0, and that quest should be fixed too(not tested).

Any suggestions?