Skip to content

Looking for anything in particular when pre-orders for Baldur's Gate II:EE are made avaiable?

11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
I think this is the perfect opportunity to add some additional content to the game. Obviously, we can all look forward to the forum badge which adds nice flare, of course. But I'm hoping for something interesting and new, maybe a new quest or something to grab a sword? Something very D&D.

I'm thinking of when establishments like Gamestop give a limited edition sword or something. I would be very interested in hearing anyone else in their opinion of what they'd like to see.

Comments

• TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    So BG2ee is not going to released yet?
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    Judging from what they have done with BGEE, by adding actually four new characters and some related quests, I'm sure there will be some interesting and new additions that will come along with BG2EE. I'm sure we are all looking forward to it. God speed.
  • GodKaiserHellGodKaiserHell Member Posts: 398
    I don't want "pre order bonus" or something like that, just the full game.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    If we do something special for pre-orders, it will likely be more like what we did for BG1:EE--that is, a couple of neat things that are "for" the pre-orders but available to everyone.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    well, I think that's a wasted avenue for marketing. I'd love to see a little something extra for incentive to pre-order. I am, of course, going to pre-order, but I don't see why adding something extra - which boosts profitability - would hurt the game?
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    It creates a split in the community and the player base. Why bother playing with this person online if they don't have all the extras from pre-ordering?
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    Wiggles said:

It creates a split in the community and the player base. Why bother playing with this person online if they don't have all the extras from pre-ordering?

And an unfair component of exclusivity if some players have access to something that others do not. Especially when it comes to iPad, Android and Linux users which probably won't have the ability to preorder at all.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I loathe in-game bonuses for pre-orders in every incarnation. It's one of the game industry practices that really turns me off, resulting in me waiting until their game ends up in the $19.99 (or lower) bargain bin.
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    To be fair, even SoA had premade-bonuses that gave the player a definite unfair advantage. Mods/patches made it so everyone could benefit from them, but I don't see how that would be any different from what would happen to BG2:EE.
    This is a game that's purchased online, it will never end up in a bargain bin. Again, everything in Baldur's Gate II is unbalanced. It's what makes the game less of a game and more of a story.

Last game was very, minimally successful. And the second will be so too unless the community can work together. Adding these pre-order bonuses offers the game to a newer generation of gamers. I love Baldur's Gate, but no offense and in my opinion, I've seen these companies like Overhaul or Beamdog, whomever created the game. I'm saying, if you want the game to be successful, it has to be less about you or I and more about the consumer. Otherwise, just like the team that made both Monkey Island remakes, they'll burn and fade away.

I'm not saying that both Monkey Island remakes were unsuccessful, I'm asking where the third Monkey Island Remake was? Where will be the third Baldur's Gate game? It's easy to disagree, but it's even harder and more worthwhile to agree and work together.
    1130210 said:

Last game was very, minimally successful.

And you know this because... ?
    1130210 said:

I'm saying, if you want the game to be successful, it has to be less about you or I and more about what I want.

Fixed.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    I'm going to attempt to do some math here so hold onto something. :P

I'm 23, a lot of people here are older than myself and most of them (or us) most likely don't appreciate the new business models that companies do now. So in theory the developers attempt your preorder bonus deal. I believe that a large portion of the customers won't purchase BG2:EE because of the preorder bonus since they don't want to support a company that is going to 'nickel & dime' them. So they lose a large portion of their sales, in theory, BUT they gain some extra money from the preorder bonus. Would the ends justify the means?

They lose a large portion of their customers and make several people unhappy, they lose a lot of revenue. The money they gain from the preorder bonus doesn't make enough up for the lack of lost customers. In my mind, everyone loses; customers and developers alike.

Do I respect your opinion? Yes. Everyone's entitled to one and sometimes the preorder bonus does work for your larger companies like EA or Activision (but that's a different story). However, I don't agree with your opinion; which is fine cause I'm sure you don't like my opinion. For smaller companies to use the preorder option, it's just shooting themselves in the foot.

Hope I don't come off as an ass or smug, I'm trying to be civil about it and respectful.
    edited May 2013
    I don't think you were being an ass, Wiggles.

1130210 said:

1130210 said:

I'm saying, if you want the game to be successful, it has to be less about you or I and more about what I want.

Fixed.
    you should BE ASHAMED. Misconstruing my message. It's people like you who are ruining forums. But I will say you're a being a bully. You are absolutely absurd! Why don't you look up some of the critic reviews of the game? Not many people liked it. Also, why don't you look slightly below your "quoted" message, and learn how to write a message and not make it seem "assy"

(1) The game went on sale at literally double the price of the whole series as a complete set with both expansions.

(2) IGN, Gamespot, and Gametrailers, whom garner at least 1,000,000 views minimum on most videos, all gave the game poor reviews.

(3) There were a lot of bugs in the game that weren't fixed at the time, that were actually discluded from the GOG versions.

Um, why don't *you* get your facts straight @GodKaiserHell you can't just babble off and say this is about me! I said "if you want the game to be successful, it has to be less about you or I and more about the consumer." FIX your "quote"! It is inaccurate, and if you're going to quote me, then quote me! I'll not have ANYONE change my ideas. Otherwise, UNQUOTE ME, say what you just said, and UNQUOTE me.
    Post edited by 1130210 on
    First and foremost. Do you realize that not even one person in this thread agrees with you? So you talk about what the "consumer" wants but, at least in this tread, no one agrees with you... strange.
    1130210 said:

I don't think you were being an ass, Wiggles.

1130210 said:

1130210 said:

Fixed.
    you should BE ASHAMED. Misconstruing my message. It's people like you who are ruining forums. But I will say you're a being a bully. You are absolutely absurd! Why don't you look up some of the critic reviews of the game? Not many people liked it. Also, why don't you look slightly below your "quoted" message, and learn how to write a message and not make it seem "assy"
    Ashamed? Why? Because I don't like the actual model of the industry with pre-order bonus, dlc and microtransactions?
    1130210 said:

(1) The game went on sale at literally double the price of the whole series as a complete set with both expansions.

really?

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/baldurs_gate_the_original_saga
    http://www.gog.com/gamecard/baldurs_gate_2_complete
    1130210 said:

(2) IGN, Gamespot, and Gametrailers, whom garner at least 1,000,000 views minimum on most videos, all gave the game poor reviews.

So... your "sources" to say that the game was a "very, minimally successful" are sites where games like Call of duty, Diablo 3 or Dragon Age 2 get "9/10, goty, editor's (paid) choice, best game ever, etc".

By the way. IGN gave the game 81 (is this poor for you?). GameSpot 61. Gametrailers... I didn't find that one, can you post a link to the "poor review" done by Gametrailers?
    1130210 said:

(3) There were a lot of bugs in the game that weren't fixed at the time, that were actually discluded from the GOG versions.

I don't get it... are you saying that the gog version doesn't have bugs? are you serious?
    Okay everybody, let's all dial back the rage a bit. Remember Site Rule No. 4: Be Excellent To Each Other.
    edited May 2013
    @Dee, fine I'll pull back my rage but he has to unquote me because I didn't say what he said I'd said in my first post. He's being a jerk, and I don't care if I'm breaking rule #4 by saying that. If I broke rule #4, he already broke it.

Why is there always that one person on the forum that ruins the experience for others. He posted and flamed! Read the freaking topic title for crying out loud!!! His post was off-topic and just posted to berate another person. I could quote him right now and change a few words around myself, but that's borderline plagiarism taking someone's ideas and switching them around.

So everyone's saying that I can quote @GodKaiserHell right now, misconstrue what he said, and just because I didn't like his opinion, berate him. Preposterous! And if I was a developer @GodKaiserHell would you be disagreeing? Or a moderator for that matter.
    I wasn't just talking to you, but you aren't making a strong case for yourself either. Consider this a warning.

Thread closed.
This discussion has been closed.