Skip to content

A different take on having more than 6 characters.

Obviously having more than 6 characters is highly unlikely. The number is hardcoded and there is certainly an issue of balance with having an army of characters.
However I believe the main reason most people would like multiple characters is to get a better chance at NPC interactions without having to play through the game multiple times. I think there is a reasonable solution to this. Try and do what DA did!
For any unfamiliar with Dragon Age (both Origins and 2), you can recruit any number of characters but only adventure with three at a time. The rest stay at your camp. Moreover every character autolevels to match the PC if left in camp so you can pick them up and they will remain useful. Furthermore you have a peaceful location were the player can interact with all the characters he has recruited, making it easier to advance romances.

So would implementing something like this be far beyond what overhaul can do (both for BG and for BG2)? Could it be done with a mod?

Comments

• karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    I hate the Dragon Age way of doing things.

I don't like the immersion breaking unrealism of having most of your party spend their entire time sitting in camp, and yet level up with the rest of you.

I'm fine with missing some content by having to select a particular party. It gives me a chance to experience something new with a second playthough of the game.
  • ShadowHunterShadowHunter Member Posts: 143
    It's the same thing with Neverwinter Nights 2 , altough the interaction with the non-joinable NPC 's still changes. So if you wanna see the WHOLE game from every perspective you'll have to replay it ....
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,177
    Actually, I don't like the system in both Dragon Age and Baldur's Gate. In both, NPC you don't have in the party just wait in one place the entire game, and that's just odd. What might be interesting would be some system of messengers (like from BG2), where NPCs walk away to travel and gain experiences on their own, and when I need them I send a messenger to find them and ask to meet somewhere. Improbable to happen, but an idea for a mod maybe...