Skip to content

Sad Faerun

DannyDanny Member Posts: 77
After Beamdogs overestimate with BG and hidden rip-off is also another part of Faerun affected. Neverwinter Online by Perfect World. Founders Packs almost $200. Now bugusing, massively AH exploits etc. Sad Faerun...not deserved...so hands off Neverwinter Online!

Comments

• Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Who ever said BG:EE was a rip-off? Any official source on that? And Neverwinter online... Don't know it, but my instinct tells me it's yet another one of those online games riddled with expensive microtransactions. Well, what else did you expect? Companies will suck the money out of their clients in any way they can. ESPECIALLY in the gaming industry. Even hobbies initially meant for nerds are exploited now.
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    I'll be frank, WoW has ruined the notion of the MMORPG for everyone, forever. It's the meth of the online gaming world. I fear Neverwinter online will tarnish the Forgotten Realms setting.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I really heard good things about Neverwinter truth be told... That being said, I ain't touching an MMO ever. Simply because the whole notion of 'MMO' is quite frankly something I don't like. Why would I want to tag team with random fools and pay monthly for a game that's already on my hard drive?

Btw, if you consider BGEE a rip-off, then you've misjudged how expensive the deals Beamdog did to get the rights to do such a thing must have been. I don't know whether lawyers were involved or not, but I am pretty damn sure it was expensive to them.
    Meh, I never liked MMO's... I mean, other characters pretty much wear what you're wearing, go on the same quests you are going... I dunno, my character just wouldn't feel as unique as in a single player game. Oh, and let's not forget the 14 year old brats screaming 'newb' and 'lawl' in their overexpensive microphones mommy bought for them...
    I've played my fair share of free MMOs a few years back... give it enough time, and they are always ruined by idiots or a flawed economy. Goonzu was a sad experience, my mate and I used to play that game fanatically, even became well-known members of a town in it.
    Then, new players joined and began acting like total dicks, the economy went nuts because basic materials oversaturated it (new players would have to grind for days just to get the basic weapons/tools, etc), and then our town fell apart after one of the main players was revealed to be a paedophile.O_O
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    edited May 2013
    I really enjoy MMOs. Honestly, the idea of progressing a character forever (even though it doesn't usually last more than a few years at most) is really appealing to me. With the advent of F2P MMOs, I actually save money because I stick with fewer games instead of needing to buy a new one every month or so.

That said, I tried to like Neverwinter, I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't get into it. It's a little buggy, but, more than that, the combat is just not that interesting to me. You basically strafe in a circle and click a button. I also don't like games that lock my mouselook like that. Healing isn't that great, so I found myself backtracking to campfires, which is a quick way to get me to quit. Yeah, there are potions, but when I start a new character/game, I'm really cheap.

PS. BG:EE was not a rip off. If the Android version were out, I'd have already bought that, in addition to the PC copy I preordered. And I also cannot wait for BG2:EE.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Ugh. I will mention only one word that completely destroys my interest in playing anything multiplayer. Teabagging. :P
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    No... no... no. No. No. No.

I just googled that, the mental image... can't go away. AGH, thanks @LadyRhian

Note to self : never google things you don't know anything about
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Cheesebelly Yeah, that was my reaction, too. (makes an "UGH!" face)

@Samus And the verbal diarrhea which usually accompanies it...
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    LadyRhian said:

@Samus And the verbal diarrhea which usually accompanies it...

Thankfully verbal.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I used to play Asheron's Call back in the day. I blame it for ruining my A-levels (along with my highly addictive obsessive personality issues). Haven't touched an MMO since. Won't risk it.
  • BestopherBestopher Member Posts: 28
    Samus said:

MMO's are not worth the effort, time or money.

There's the rub though. Since the popularization of MMORPGS with WoW, RPGs in general have been on a steady decline. The push towards everything online has almost entirely ruined good single-player campaigns. A notable exception (it could be said) is Skyrim, but even that isn't (IMHO) up to Baldur's Gate (or even Neverwinter) generation standards.

Maybe I'm just old...

• DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749

No... no... no. No. No. No.

I just googled that, the mental image... can't go away. AGH, thanks @LadyRhian

Note to self : never google things you don't know anything about

Your post made me ask myself: To google, or not to google?
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    edited May 2013
    Bestopher said:

A notable exception (it could be said) is Skyrim, but even that isn't (IMHO) up to Baldur's Gate (or even Neverwinter) generation standards.

Skyrim doesn't even cut the mustard. It has relatively neat visuals, a handful of fresh ideas, some atmosphere and even a glimpse of immersion but all that is utterly ruined by extraordinarily repetitive gameplay. The 'oh, that's the end of the dungeon; let me just raid that oddly familiar big ornate chest and whatanot thank you, I'll immediately take my leave by the fastest, earlier inaccessible, route' style gameplay that is the very scourge of MMO games. Worse still, this particular style is gradually becoming omnipresent. It even ruined the commonly known Tomb Raider brand as of late. But all that is just my view.

However, it is impossible not to notice that modern wannabe RPGs are actually designed as Not Entirely Massive But Indeed Still Shitty Multiplayer Online Games (or NEMBISSMOG for short; it's also a fairly good name for a daemon, should you ever need to invoke one), i.e. fell under the sway of Chaos and thus will never ascend to true RPGity.

I myself consider games - a vessel naturally combining a very wide range of artistry - to be works of art, even more so than paintings, music or writings alone. Nowadays most games resemble the cheap and fugly abominations some so-called 'artists' backed by influential establishments sell at ridiculously high prices and dare to call them art. Thankfully, there are also those devs who work on their art as they should. Beamdog might just be revamping an old classic but is it not the same approach that many a time stimulated progress in other forms of art throughout the centuries?
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    edited May 2013
    There really hasn't been a truly epic RPG since the Infinity Engine days, has there? The closest I'd say would be Neverwinter Nights 2, but even that was just a dim echo of the golden days of yore. *sigh* maybe I'm just too set in my ways and nostalgic, but games just don't seem to be as fun as they used to be. *goes back to rocking chair, yelling at kids to keep off his lawn.*
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    edited May 2013
    I had some good years in WoW 2005-2007, it was a good time of exploration and teamplay, however, it somehow lost it's track, for me atleast.

Single player RPG's - yea, I find myself mostly browsing GoG these days, iot find something I can play and enjoy, while waiting for BG:EE2.

It is indeed sad, but atleast it can't get any worse at this point, Kickstarter bringing another IE classic to life, I like to think that good times are comming.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    I'm skeptical about Project:Infinity and Torment 2 (I assume that's what @killeah was referring to.) At least half of what makes Baldur's Gate and Torment what they are is the writing, both for the characters and the story. I'm just not sure there's anyone in the industry these days that can write a game like they used to. That said, I'm definitely going to buy and play the aforementioned new games, I'm just a tad pessimistic is all.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @Malicron - Obsidian was founded and is still being run by some of the greatest creative minds of Black Isle. It's the very same people that made Planescape: Torment.

As for Baldur's Gates writing... I disagree. It's good, and it has a few outstanding gems, but overall it's nothing very special, especially not for an RPG. Certainly nothing in the neighbourhood of Ps:T. Obsidian regularly meets BG's level of writing or higher, and their KOTOR2 and NwN2: Mask of the Betrayer definitely struck higher on my scale.

So there's not much reason to doubt Obsidian on that part. I'm more worried about their history with bugs and glitchy engines.
    Also, @Danny: You sure you're being a trollolol?
    @scriver: Heresy! Prepare the pitchforks! :p