Skip to content

Let us display badges next to our names

KoreKore Member Posts: 245
edited June 2012 in Site Resources
So we can show off and so that BGEE staff members can distinguish themselves more readily. There's a few of you and I often don't realise when you're joining conversation.

If we could put one or more badges next to our name to display when we post it would be nice.

Comments

• AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    edited June 2012
    May I oppose this suggestion until I get cool badges to show off?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited June 2012
    As a moderator on a gaming forum that uses badges, I have to say I really don't like this idea. ;)

It quickly clutters the posting UI; right now, it's simple and easy to navigate. Adding a bunch of badges would make things harder to read quickly.

That said, a "Moderator" tag would be useful for the staff to identify themselves. I'm all for the staff and development team having something to denote themselves as being "something more", at least for the purposes of discussion. But I wouldn't extend that capability to everybody.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Dont see why we even need badges in the first place. We have avatar's, should be enough. Only mods should have something special, and that shouldnt be more than something like the words "moderator" across their avatar.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Badges are good in general, because they encourage community involvement. Kind of like how achievements in Steam encourage players to play the same game again and again. I like badges, but I don't like the idea of displaying them in your forum posts.
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    I agree that badges are a good thing, gamification is always good, so why not increase the incentive to earn said badges? I'm not talking about anything huge here, maybe a small 10x10 pixel square to the right of your display name.
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    On the one hand I can see the appeal, but I also think there could be a problem with clutter, I guess I would want to see a mock up of how it would look before passing judgement.
    edited June 2012
    Done by my own fair hand in MS paint - image

I am perfectly concious of clutter. I wouldn't have suggested something if it could have caused negative usability on the forum.
    Post edited by Kore on
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    That is how I imagined it, do you think it would still look uncluttered with many multiple badges from different users?
    I think more than 3 would start looking messy, but I'd be happy with just one. If badges are going to have a lot of love put into them (which I think they should) then they should be displayable.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    edited June 2012
    Would be cool to implement badges for Mod authors who are present here :)

P.S. I am not one of these gifted folks.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind if mod authors at least got a special badge for keeping the game alive for so long.