Skip to content

Ideas for new class kits

Okay. My Paladin of Mystra thread gave me few ideas so I decided to create a new thread and write them down!

I encourage you guys to write down your ideas as well maybe we will give a modder or someone at Overhaul an idea :P

Paladin Kits:

Paladin of Mystra:

Adventages:
+2 to hit and damage against magical constracts and elementals.
Immune to charm and confusion.
+2 bonus to all Saving Throws
Expanded spell book: Have spellcasting ability the same as bard, can't memorise damaging spells.
Protection From Evil and Detect Evil.

Disadventages:
HD is 1d6
Cannot wear armor and cast spells
Cannot use large shields.
Cannot cast Priest spells
Cannot use Lay on Hands
Cannot Cure Disease
Must maintain Good alignment

Bard Kits:

Infiltrator:

Adventages:
Backstab ability (at level 1-8: x1, at level 9-16: x2, at level 17+: x3)
Stealth ability like ranger
Bard's Battle Song
Pick Pockets
Spell Casting (Mage Spells)
High Lore

Disadventages:
Can only memorise illusion, enchantment, divination, abjuration and necromancy spells
1/2 Normal Bard Lore
Must be partially Neutral in alignment
Bard song doesn't get better with levels

This is it! I would really like to see your ideas guys! :D

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I was thinking a Paladin of Mystra could pick spells like a sorceror but had to memorize them like a mage. So they couldn't learn more magic but had to choose what to cast each day. They could also wear armor, use wands and scrolls, etc.
  • NecroblivionNecroblivion Member Posts: 210
    edited May 2013
    Thing is, I don't want him to be better then a bard. The fact that he is a better fighter already feels like the kit overshadows the bard class. So I think the armor restriction should stay.
    Edit: I am also counting on the xp progression of the paladin as a balancing factor here.
    CaptRory said:

I was thinking a Paladin of Mystra could pick spells like a sorceror but had to memorize them like a mage. So they couldn't learn more magic but had to choose what to cast each day.

This is a great idea.

More editing: I also don't think he should be able to use arcane wands and scrolls. Maybe only cure scrolls and divine wands to represent the fact that he is still a paladin?
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Well he couldn't cast in his heavy armor, but if he wanted to wear it I don't see why not.

I don't see a problem with Wands and Scrolls. His spellcasting is already pretty gimped. Maybe he only gets three different spells per spell level? And can only cast... maybe three or four a day? Definitely tools, not a spellcasting class.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited May 2013
    You realize the bard's Gallant kit (from 2nd Ed Complete Bard) is pretty much an arcane paladin right.

They need to start adding more of the actual 2nd edition kits before going off on 3rd edition tangents or custom stuff.

Also...Mystra doesn't even have any paladins. Azuth is the only God of Magic with a paladin order, and his paladinhood is made up almost exclusively of Inquisitors, since their sole job is to hunt down and exterminate practitioners of evil magics or those that use magic irresponsibly. (though technically, humans are supposed to be able to dual-class into ANY class they meet the requirements to (though only one of each "pool"), so there's no real reason why a paladin couldn't swap to mage once they had all the paladin class they wanted (requires 15 minimum str, wis, 17 cha, and 17 int), if they'd just open up proper dual-classing. Multiclasses are already OP as hell without race caps, so letting humans dual freely (as they should) into any classes they meet the requirements for would be a nice boon for future changes (I'd be happy with just that.....or they could go whole hog and open up quadruple classing as well, as per PnP).

(Illmater, Helm, Tyr, Torm, Azuth, Chauntea, Kelemvor, Lathander, and Sune, are the only gods with Paladin orders).
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    There's a 2ed kit from an issue of Dragon magazine that was included in the Wizard's Spell Compendium called the Paramander. It's a Paladin that uses Arcane magic instead of Divine magic, however their spell selection is rather small and limited with spells up to spell level 4 but gets access to level 5 elemental summons at character level 17. However nearly every spell is useful such as Magic Missile and Shocking Grasp. It also gets some Paladin-esque spells like Detect Evil and Light plus it's own version of Spell Trap and an unique spell called Azure Flame that ignites all evil creatures on fire.

Requiem and I are in the process of add it in during the next couple of weeks to our mod.
  • mister_ennuimister_ennui Member Posts: 98
    edited May 2013
    I just hope the devs refrain from adapting any more kits from 3 / 3.5 edition D&D prestige classes. Have they only got 3/3.5E books to hand? There are a lot of second edition AD&D kits left to use, as you can see here: http://www.rpg.net/etrigan/files/kitindx.txt .
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Yeah, you can buy the whole set of 2nd Ed Complete books used on amazon for like 20-30 bucks total.
    I think its more important that the kits will be fun and interesting then in what addition of D&D they appear.
  • GishGish Member Posts: 74
    I personally would like to see a bard kit.
    Divine Bard
    He uses from cleric spell list rather than arcane.
    Advantage
    Can wear up to splint mail not just chain and leather.
    Disadvantage
    Is left to only using weapons limited by cleric ethos

Normal bard song also. Although I dream of having a song that functions like a turn undead at a fraction of of the use a cleric gets while resetting party morale.
  • SniiiimonSniiiimon Member Posts: 153
    edited May 2013

Also...Mystra doesn't even have any paladins.

Mystra's Knights of the Mystic Fire says hello.

And so does the Harmonious Order of Milil.

(Right? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Really, I'm not trying to be a smartass. I'm still a noob when it comes to FR lore.)
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Dunno about 2e or PnP in general, but Icewind Dale 2 says hello with Paladin of Mystra class... Though multiclass over in 3e works differently but their special ability is to multiclass to wizard/mage.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    One of the features of 3rd edition was adding more options for the Paladin in what gods they can worship. Basically, any deity that was within 1 alignment step of Lawful Good (So Lawful Good obviously, Neutral Good or Lawful Neutral) had paladins. There were also some throw back orders from 2nd edition which I didn't really feel made a lot of sense but was happy they didn't just retcon them or something. For example, Sune is a Chaotic Good deity but her warriors, the very paragons of her ideals, were lawful? Uh, what?

I'd personally like to see some more deity specific cleric kits added to the game. Three really isn't enough in my opinion.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Sniiiimon said:

(Right? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Really, I'm not trying to be a smartass. I'm still a noob when it comes to FR lore.)

D&D is made from two things:
    1/ Rules.
    2/ Exceptions.

Sometimes there's actually more of (2) than (1).
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Some kits I would like to see
    Truesword for Halfling fighter
    Advantages
    May put up to 5 points in swords
    Draw on holy might abilty once per day for every 7 level (1,8,15,22 ETC)
    Disadvantages
    Must be a lawful good halfling
    no skill points in bows
    only 1 skill point in thrown weapons
    max of 2 skill points in non sword melee weapons
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited May 2013
    from what i understand classes like
    barbarian/berserker/sorcerer/wizard slayer/
    are all totaly different in PnP and way better so i would like to see rewamped kits to original PnP state

later on new 2ed kits rather than doing weird 3ed kits
    I think that kits that change the way you play a class are the best. The rogue and ranger kits are good examples. The kits that only add flavor are much less noticeable, because you continue to play the class the same way you would with or without them, and sometimes you even forget all together to use the kit's abilities.

So any kit that allows you to chose the same class you already played but get a different game experience is a good kit.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065

Some kits I would like to see
    Truesword for Halfling fighter
    Disadvantages
    no skill points in bows

... but Mazzy is the best archer in the game!
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Cleric class kit:

The Order of Chaos

This rare sect of preists channel their powers from an endless pit of chaotic matter known as The Portal of Chaos. It is unknown of where or why this portal appears, it's origin, or what it is exactly, and yet It has risen to become a fledgling God by those who hear the calling and pass through and return from the void. Less than 1 in 100 ever are seen again on the prime material plane, and those that survive are never the same.

Their powers and abilities are randomized, and their ethos exisits only to enligten those that fail to submit to total chaos. By living a strict existance that was born of randomness, they seek order by encouraging chaos.

Advantages:

May use any weapon
    May use any armor
    May spend 10 points per level on theif skills.
    May cast 1 arcane spell per day
    May cast divine spells
    All spells from the sphere of chaos are of 1 level higher casting ability.

Disadvatanges:

Must be of chaotic alignment.
    May not turn undead.
    May not use arcane scrolls or wands.
    Weapon proficiencies are rolled randomly.
    The arcane spell is rolled randomly, it may not exceed his maximum casting level for divine magic.
    Theif skill allocation is rolled randomly.