Skip to content

A neutral monk class kit

SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
We have the Sun Soul Monks and the Dark Moon Monks.
I would love to se a Neutral class for the monks.

Since I'm the sole advocate for that the monk rule supreme in this forum I do not think I will so many "woho's" on this on - but it is worth a shoot.

What should a Shadow Monk have advantage and dis-advantage?

I think that maybe the quivering palm should stay and the healing should be removed.

Add Blur as the Dark Moon Monks have on level 3 or 5.

Draw Upon Holy Might on level 8 or 9.

It would be cool if they could step into the Shadow Plane as the Shadowdancer.

No extra speed movement more then the +2 from the start.

What do you think?
Post edited by SamuelVarg on

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I never play monks, ever, so I can't say anything about what they should and shouldn't have. But it makes no sense to have kits for good and evil, but not neutral, so I support the general idea and leave the details to actual monk players.
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @SamuelVarg - I also like monks, just not very much in BG1/BGEE.
    Your idea of an additional monk kit is not bad, but...

a) we have the Sun Soul monk for Good characters. That is a kit, that goes well with being "Good" and is quite a contender for the original monk.

b) we have the Old Moon monk, for Evil. The powers go well with being "Evil", but he is pretty bad. I tried it and I think it's quite a lot worse than the normal monk. Sadly. I'd love to play an Evil monk, but this kit gives me depression.

c) the original monk is quite neutral already. I don't like your new kit idea. A new kit where you again remove some abilities and add some others (some even attainable via Bhaalspawn powers) is not really interesting. Removing speed for some quirky utility? Especially when monks can not be sped up, that would mean everyone gets sped up with Haste and the monk would awkwardly hobble after them. No, the speed has a reason and should stay.

I believe Icewind Dale 2 had 3 monk kits. One that could take levels in Sorceror (Moon), one that could take levels in Cleric (Sun) and one that could take levels in Thief (Old Order). Correct me, if I'm wrong.
    What about mixing it with a thief? Make the monk able not only to detect traps, but also to disarm them (and give more skillpoints/level). Or maybe steal (monks live in poverty). That could be interesting.
    edited May 2013
    and no. The monks do not rule supreme.

They just stand there, overlooked. And when someone tries something, they BREAK HIS FACE!
    edited June 2013
    To make the "Shadow Monk" (lawfull neutral) as a kind of thief-monk is a really cool idea. I like it.
    Post edited by SamuelVarg on
    Southpaw said:

and no. The monks do not rule supreme.

They just stand there, overlooked. And when someone tries something, they BREAK HIS FACE!

I repeat:

:-)