Skip to content

Suggested SCS Options

I was hoping to engage some SCS vets here. I have been playing BG1 and BG2 since release and I am very familiar with 2nd Ed rules in general. However, I'm still no expert and have much to learn. I would put my knowledge and "skill" of all things Baldur's Gate at around moderate.

That being said, I have never used SCS before and I thought now would be a good time to try. The only setting I KNOW I will use is the improved priest and mage AI.

Are there any other "can't miss" settings that I should definitely try? Any suggestions would be great!

Comments

• zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited May 2013
    everything is improved

i don't know about drop all potions because later on you are hording massive ammounts of very powerfull not cheap potions so that you can lower

but everything should be improved for higher difficulty game
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/scsii/

i don't know what to do with some options like
    "Allow Spellstrike to take down a Protection from Magic scroll"
    because some can be used against you and some against oponents so it is difficult to balance what actually makes the game harder
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    General AI improvement is a must. It allows groups of enemies to communicate so you can't lure one and seperate from the group. Archers will detect unarmored or lightly armored targets and go for them. Archers will also try to avoid melee and retreat. Also, enemies will use potions. If you have 'potions for enemies' component it is a nice beef up.

Mage and priest AI is very good. But you may want to not get 'instant prebuff at the start of the combat' option if you think it is too tough. Enemies will still target their spells very intelligently, use cast/attack strategy, wander around to avoid melee, go invisible to heal and recon and ambush you. Lendarn even uses an invisible Wizard Eye to detect you! Scary AI! :-)

Improved chapter end battles are nice too, but Mulahey and Davaeorn ones had some bugs. Others work flawlessly. And boy they are fun!
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    Also, enemies will follow you through doors and sometimes retreat (also through doors or just into the wild). In all I'm having much more fun and a more realistic (as far as that holds up in a fantasy game) experience!
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    lunar said:

General AI improvement is a must. It allows groups of enemies to communicate so you can't lure one and seperate from the group. Archers will detect unarmored or lightly armored targets and go for them. Archers will also try to avoid melee and retreat. Also, enemies will use potions. If you have 'potions for enemies' component it is a nice beef up.

Mage and priest AI is very good. But you may want to not get 'instant prebuff at the start of the combat' option if you think it is too tough. Enemies will still target their spells very intelligently, use cast/attack strategy, wander around to avoid melee, go invisible to heal and recon and ambush you. Lendarn even uses an invisible Wizard Eye to detect you! Scary AI! :-)

Improved chapter end battles are nice too, but Mulahey and Davaeorn ones had some bugs. Others work flawlessly. And boy they are fun!

it is really sad they are bugged because they are the _early midgame_ fights that are pretty epic
  • chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
    Thanks for the input. As for the Mulahey and Davaeoron bugs, is that just with BG:EE? or is it also bugged in BGT and BG TuTu?
  • raelcariraelcari Member Posts: 133
    Lendarn is indeed unfriendly with this mod. I just picked it up myself and I like it a lot. I'd just go for the more general components if I were you, and be cautious about the specific ones since they appear to be more bugged (the chapter-end battles were mentioned). For example, it is a bit discouraging when whole packs of wolves are rekindling their desire to live another day because you killed one. The mod in general is a huge improvement, though.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    With the potion mod, can you loot the potion that were not used by the opponents ?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460

With the potion mod, can you loot the potion that were not used by the opponents ?

You choose between options of what percentage of the unused potions are lost:they are considered broken and wasted in the heat of the battle. If you choose %100 potions are recoverable from enemies you'll be swimming in potions. I personally find %50 or lower rates preferable.