Skip to content

Is grandmastery "nerfed" in BGEE, or is it "fixed" (as it was in vanilla BG)?

I've read conflicting reports, but never tested it out.

I remember, in plain old vanilla BG, there were [i]significant[/i] bonuses when placing pips in a weapon above specialization (**), but when BG2 came out, it was calmed down quite a bit (and, IMHO, multi-classed characters became > dual-classed characters).

If BGEE has gone back to the way proficiencies were handles in BG1, I think the swing of power goes back to dual classes for the power.

BTW, I know some people favor dual-classed characters even if GM is nerfed. I'm just not one of them, and I'm hoping this thread doesn't turn into a multi- vs dual- debate.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Afaik BG2 was bugged in that grandmastery did not give any APR bonus whatsoever over specialization. As per BG:EE, GM now adds and additional +1/2 APR, for a total of +1 APR (specialization + grandmastery).

There is also an earlier player-made fix out there that interprets the rules differently, i.e. that grandmastery adds +1 APR on top of specialization, for a total of +3/2 APR. Opinions are divided on which one is more accurate, though lately people are seeing BG:EE's version as the "legitimate" one.

I think the dual vs. multi debate is less interesting in BG1 due to the low experience cap; it becomes a much more complex (and controversial) issue in BG2/ToB - though admittedly by then weapon proficiency issues don't really matter for the debate.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    I'm pretty sure in bg2 (vanilla), grandmastery have an additional 1/2 ApR, but in bg1 (vanilla), it did more.
    I remember in IWD1, which used the same rules as BG1, dual classes fighters were much better than single classers because of the way grandmastery is handled.

From your description, it sounds like he proficiencies work just like hey did in BG2.
    I'm pretty sure that vanilla BG2 grandmastery did not add APR, even though the description said it did. I don't know what the vanilla BG1 description was, though.
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    Comparing BGEE vs. Original BG2 we're gaining a 1/2 attack when you compare 5 slotting a weapon proficiency. So essentially a grand master fighter at lvl 13 gets 3 attacks per round with his weapon of choice... 4 if he dual wields.... 5 if he dual wields with a +1 APR weapon. Assuming my math isn't wrong somehow...
    @Nic_Mercy It's not wrong, that should be exactly how it works.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    BG2 also nerfed the damage and hit growth, in addition to only giving a total of 1/2 an attack, making it only marginally better then plain specialization and not at ALL worth the number of profs it required.

EE's version is the corrected version of BG1's table...the only difference is that the bonus attack part of the chart is read correctly, instead of stacking the effects (which doesn't make any sense to even attempt to read it as stacking, otherwise GM would give 2 1/2 attacks total. 1/2 for **, 1/2 for ***, 1/2 for ****, and 1 full attack for *****).