Skip to content

Movement speed: what affects it?

h4rth4rt Member Posts: 5
So after coming back to play BG:EE after not having played BG1/2 for about 10 years, I'm finding that my paladin PC is having a hard time matching pace with pretty much anyone in my party. This is a problem since I intended to have him be the main "tank", but if there's something in the build that makes him walk at 2/3 of the speed of my mage, then there's not much point.

So what sort of things might affect walking speed? Class? Armour type? Stats? I honestly don't get why he should be this slow.

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Is your Paladin encumbered? Open up his inventory and check the backpack on the bottom right. If the numbers are in red, you're carrying too much. (The top number is how much you're carrying currently, and the bottom is the maximum you can carry without slowing down.)

Armor type and stats do not affect movement speed. Here are some things that do:
    - Being hasted or slowed through spells, potions, or enemy attacks (you'll see a haste or slow icon on your portrait when this happens; go to the Record screen to see what any currently appearing icons mean)
    - Wearing the boots of speed or other equipment that grants such bonuses (check their descriptions)
    - Being a Monk or Barbarian
    - Using certain special abilities, like the Blade's Offensive Spin or the Dwarven Defender's Defensive Stance
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited June 2013
    Barbarians get +2 movement speed, monks as well but there's goes up further based on level. Boots of speed, haste from spells or items. Blade's offensive spin.....Grandmaster's Armor, Necklace of the Cheetah....that's it.

No one else gets a speed bonus at all. And to my knowledge, there's no items that decrease movement. Slow is the only thing to do so, and it's fairly rare.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    The problem you have is not your speed. For some reason, the game places mages first on the destination coordinates, and from what I see, this causes other characters to appear slower/arrive later. Even if none of your characters' speed is modified in any way, the mage will appear to be faster.
    This problem will be solved once you did the courtyard battle in Cloakwood and get the Paws of the Cheetah to put on your frontliner. (There's a second pair in the city, so eventually you can have tank and melee fighter run ahead all the time.)

I currently play a run where most party members are shadowkeepered to non-playable appearances. This does have an effect on their speed. For example, I changed the (technically human) mage/necromancer to a Lich - this reduced his speed about 1/3 and made him arrive last on coordinates, almost in tune with the rest of the party. He's meanwhile a Mummy, which is insanely slow - he fell behind almost a half screen if I walked from top to botton on a map. I increased his walking speed in EEKeeper from 0 (normal) to 1 (slightly faster), which did exactly nothing. He now wears Paws of Cheetah, and that set him back to Lich speed - still slow, but not too slow.
    The ranger (technically elf vanilla ranger) is edited to a myconid, which is also very slow (1/3 of normal, I'd say) and with Paws of Cheetah, he's roughly at speed 1 (slightly faster than average, but not running far ahead - just arrives first at coordinates).

So if you don't mind that your party looks like a carnival, you can experiment with the tons of shapes available in EEKeeper and finetune the speed of everyone, regardless of race and class, down to speeds between the numbers by combining appearance, movement speed and speed-changing items.
    Many shapes will not have an inventory paperdoll and you won't really be a different race (i.e. our cleric is technically human, looks like a Mind Flayer, but doesn't have any mindflaying abilities), and some animations will not work.
    Can be fun tho; my paladin is a Beholder (small) and wobbles at normal speed, obviously doesn't display armor, weapons or animations of either a human or a beholder, so he basically slams his body against enemies. It takes some experimenting to get everyone to the speed you want, but if you only want to make your tank slightly faster or mage slightly slower, that's easy.

Tank faster: Set movement speed in EEKeeper to 1 - slightly faster (monks and barbarians move at speed 2, everyone else at 0)
    Mage slower: EEKeeper to Lich appearance (decreases speed to roughly -0.75, not as slow as the spell Slow, but this will make the mage stay behind the frontliners at all times) Other races may have the same effect/speed as Lich; you have to try them out and see if there's a less weird looking one that works for you.
  • h4rth4rt Member Posts: 5
    Thanks guys. I'll figure out a solution.