Skip to content

Is STR bonus added to hurled weapons (darts, daggers, axes)?

TIA

What about proficiency bonus?

If yes (on both), a half Orc (with 19 STR), GM in Dart would be unstoppable! LOL

Comments

• GishGish Member Posts: 74
    When I get home I will test it. Last night I found the +2 throwing axe that returns to your hand. Hmmm. I could test it by giving it to dorn, then giving it to another guy with higher dex and lower str.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    They're supposed to, but last I checked only throwing axes were getting a bonus in EE.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I agree with ZanathKariashi - or else my 18str monk would not hit for 1-3 with his darts.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,178
    Throwing axes and daggers have str bonus, darts don't.
    They're supposed to. They did in BG1 and PnP, and half of them did in BG2 (basically just the ones from BG1).
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited June 2013
    Darts didn't get bonus damage from STR in BG1 (vanilla). The only ranged weapon that got bonus damage in vanilla was the sling.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Surprised daggers and axes don't.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Slings, Throwing Axes, and Throwing Daggers all should be getting a damage bonus from Strength.
    edited June 2013
    Actually, they did, you need to go replay vanilla (you can also easily check in NI). It's blatantly obvious if you have a 18/00 str character. Though most people wouldn't associate darts are being the best weapons in the game for fighters (despite the fact that they are in PnP, from a min/max standpoint).
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited June 2013
    @ZanathKariashi (I'm assuming your post was addressed to me) I tested it out in vanilla just before making that post. I had a fighter with 18/80 STR (+4 to damage) and started attacking the tutors in Candlekeep with various ranged weapons. I managed to hit for 2 or 3 damage with darts, daggers, and throwing axes. I have no mods installed.

Edit: I just checked it out in NI, the "Add strength bonus" flags aren't checked off for daggers, darts, or throwing axes.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Strenght bonus :

Throwing axes
    Sling of seeking

No Strenght Bonus :

Darts
    All slings except seeking
    Throwing daggers (Some mods change this)
    edited June 2013
    Sling of Everad also has a str bonus (though it's not mentioned). The collector's edition errata mentions it was supposed to be listed as one of the abilities.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    it needs kai on normal fighter 16 str to test ;)
    bg2
    str works with throwing axes only
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    In "vanilla" BG2, yes, it's only throwing axes and the specific slings noted above. BGEE grants Strength-based damage to all slings, throwing axes, and throwing daggers.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    SionIV said:

Strenght bonus :

Throwing axes
    Sling of seeking

No Strenght Bonus :

Darts

The above is correct for vanilla BG2, but in BGEE the strength bonus is applied to throwing axes, slings and throwing daggers. Not sure what will happen in BG2EE not whether the Dwarf Thrower hammer will get the strength damage bonus in BG2EE
    there are 2 slings that add str in bg2 one is +2 and one is higher
    edited June 2013

SionIV said:

Strenght bonus :

Throwing axes
    Sling of seeking

No Strenght Bonus :

Darts

The above is correct for vanilla BG2, but in BGEE the strength bonus is applied to throwing axes, slings and throwing daggers. Not sure what will happen in BG2EE not whether the Dwarf Thrower hammer will get the strength damage bonus in BG2EE
    it should have because of axes
    Post edited by zur312 on
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    zur312 said:

SionIV said:

Strenght bonus :

Throwing axes
    Sling of seeking

No Strenght Bonus :

Darts

it should have because of axes
    It should because it's awesome and flavourful. *crosses arms*
    Throwing Daggers are definitely adding the Str bonus. My lvl 1 F/T was hurling 2.5 daggers per round and each one (that hit) did around 10 damage...easy to kill goblins and gibberlings in one hit at that level.

I only regret, that there aren't any magical Throwing Daggers, or magical, returning ones in BGEE.
    Also, that daggers and short swords are pretty lackluster and everyone is better off with any other weapons. (Except for the Dagger of Venom)
    (I actually ended up EEkeeping my F/T to use Scimitars/Wakizashi/Ninjato proficiency on Thief lvl 3 as the daggers were quite unsatisfactory...)
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    You can grab the +2 short sword very early, which is statistically better than many weapons, being more likely to hit and dealing 5.5 average damage. Varscona can be hard to get with some solo builds, but the hobgobs aren't so tough.
    it may be solo but get 1 archer and you can always get varscona on lvl 1 ;D
    @DreadKhan - I agree with @zur312. I've heard the reasoning, that daggers and short swords are available earlier than long swords and the like and can get faster to higher +X enchantments. However, that's not entirely true and even with little meta gaming, you can get stronger long swords/scimitars... even earlier or at the same time.
    (Yes, the Dagger+1 is as soon as in Candlekeep and Dagger+2 after Nashkell mines...and the Short Sword+2 is available early by killing some Hobogoblins...but Varscona (long sword+2) can be also attained quickly (even quicker than the +2 Dagger) and other better swords will follow suit.

Mind you, that you spend majority of the 1st game at levels 5+ and that means you can walk almost anywhere to get the best weapons asap. And the best bladed weapons in BG2/ToB are as well a Longsword, Two hander and maybe a Bastard sword. Daggers or Short swords don't come even close.

...I just wish the short blades would get some love from the developers...
    i think scimitars from drizzt are the best because they are +3
    staff of striking because it adds so much damage (but is not infinite)
    and cursed berserker weapons +3 two-handed sword
    +3 kiel's flail or mace
    varscona is really good because it is +2+1 making it +3 weapon
    @southpaw I do agree varscona is a powerful damage engine, dealing 7.5 per hit, but the ss of backstabbing deals 6.5, and is more likely to hit. Some enemies are pretty hard to hit, especially if you didn't make a berserker, Kensai, or roll high strength. Rogues should push for weapons that have a to hit bonus, and worry less about damage.

I have often muttered that varscona is unbalanced for when you can get it. Bandit camp or even cloak wood would be more fair.
    you can buy staff +3 without even killing anyone in bg1 so that looks pretty much even with varscona

but this is not a thread for weapon balance
    Heh, true enough on both counts!