Skip to content

Cloak of Displacement - Blur Effect

BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
Hi. I know there was another thread that talked about items providing visual effects, such as Blurring and the like. If someone could direct me to that thread, or just simply merge this thread with that one, I would appreciate it.

To the matter at hand...

I do believe there is a certain visual annoyance about these effects on items. They could cause some visual strain on the eyes, or just become an annoyance after awhile.

The suggestion I'm putting for is this: keep the visual effect, however limit it to displaying for the first 6-12 seconds, which is 1 or 2 rounds of melee. This is just strictly for items that might have a visual effect such as the cloak of displacement which does blurring.

This would satisfy both parties, in my humble opinion, that items would still provide a limited visual effect and then go away after a short period of time. It may also be worth mentioning in the item description as a note that the visual effect will disappear but the effects remain in full.

Comments

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I would agree to such a feature, it can become a major annoyance (although it's also true that when you're looking at someone who has a ghostly appearance it gives the impression of fear to enemies).

And as you said, as long as it's just for items with visual effects, I am all for it. Adding such a feature for spells would be highly impractical to say the least :p
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited July 2012
    I think you should have the option to toggle the visual effect on and off by right clicking on the item and selecting the display mode.
    Same with other spell efects like cloak of mirroring et al.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    ajwz said:

I think you should have the option to toggle the visual effect on and off by right clicking on the item and selecting the display mode.
    Same with other spell efects like cloak of mirroring et al.

I agree. That would be a long-term fix. I was merely putting forth a short-term practical fix.

If there were an option to disable visual effects on items, have limited visual effects (a la the original post) or have them be in full effect, that might satisfy everyone... even the tweeners/in-betweeners.
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    Yeah, I usually pass on the items that perma-blur my characters.. it's a shame since some of them are really good.
  • SirBuliwyfSirBuliwyf Member Posts: 137
    Wasn't there an override version of the cloak made by Kevin Dorner (wow there's a name long forgotten for me) that didn't have than annoying permanent "whiffle ball" effect? I'll have to look for it again.
  • ReclusiarchReclusiarch Member Posts: 9
    Agreed on this. Just like Winthal I too passed up on items that made my characters all blurry. A shame really. The original poster got a good suggestion to fix this I think. :)
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    An awesome fix might be to create 'toned down' versions of these graphics that just didn't distract so much but I guess that would be a lot of work.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Agreed with the general theme of the thread. The cloak of displacement says in it's lore stuff that it "may cause serious eye strain among party members" or something similar, but when it actually hurts your eyes to look at it's going too far. A toning down or off-toggle would be invaluable.
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    Actually, I have edited the Claw of Kazgaroth and the Cloak of Displacement to only show the blur effect for 10 seconds efter a game is loaded. Used the old Infinity Engine Editor Pro. Is there someway to put up files, so I could share with you?
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    @Astafas That would be great. Filedropper, Dropbox, etc..

I also like the idea of an item ability to switch between blur and non-blurred versions. humm..
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I really hate the globe from the cloak of mirroring. The graphic should change to the spell turning visual effect but different colors. Also for spell immunity (9 different colors for 9 different schools).
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    I don't have a problem with the way it is now. If something is going to be changed, I would much rather have the effect only apply "in combat" (like berserking) rather than some sort of meta-gaming toggle switch.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    Cloak of Mirrors visual when they patched it from the disk around your feet that reflected everything to the globe of "destroy your eyes after looking at me for 20 seconds" that just stopped spells from hurting you was awful.

It needed patched but that visual being permanent sucked.
  • Spam101Spam101 Member Posts: 15
    Astafas said:
    Could you re-up these?

i only need the cloak of displacement one.

the old fix for the claw from sorcerers place still works

thanks