Skip to content

stylized charname portraits

jakaminskijakaminski Member Posts: 100
Hello again everyone. Not too long ago I completed a stylized portrait pack of all of the NPCs for BG: EE (you can see them all on my deviantart gallery at http://jakaminski.deviantart.com/gallery/ or in my first thread at https://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16864/new-stylized-portrait-pack/p1).

Now I'm planning on doing more portraits for CHARNAME to expand the appeal of the portrait pack for others to use. All in all, I'm hoping to have something like 30 portraits that can be used for the protagonist, 15 to be characters that I choose to create and 15 based off of characters suggested by people here (perhaps favorite characters that you have created).

I'm currently taking requests to create characters. I will likely take requests from the first people to respond to this post, possibly giving some preference to those who offered feedback on my first thread. I'm hoping to create a good balance of genders, classes, races, etc. so that is also a consideration I will also have in mind when taking requests.

If you would like to request a portrait, feel free to PM me with your character's name, alignment, class, and a little paragraph or two about them: their general personality, attitude towards others, what they want out of life, etc.

I prefer to retain creative control and to generate the portrait based off of my own interpretation of what you send, but I will consider any suggestions that you might have in mind. Copyright for the artwork remains with me and the portrait will be available to anyone who downloads the Kaminski Portrait Pack.

So again, assuming that you are okay with all of that. Feel free to PM me with the information above. I'll announce each portrait as I start it and post as soon as I am finished.

This post is quite long already, but to kick things off I've attached all of the current CHARNAME portraits in the Kaminski Portrait Pack.

Bannion-CE Human Blackguard
Cordel-TN Human Wizard Slayer/Druid
Esmer-CN Elven Shadowdancer
Hana-LG Human Cavalier
Shaedra-LE Half-Elf Cleric/Mage
Werd-CG Half-Orc Priest of Lathander

Comments

• SanctiferSanctifer Member Posts: 104
    A CG/CN male hafling (bard, yeah, it's not legit, but i like it) please :D
  • jakaminskijakaminski Member Posts: 100
    I don't have any problems making "illegal" characters for the most part and have no problems with a halfling bard. If you have more specific ideas for this bard feel free to send me a message or just add a comment with some of the info that I describe in the initial post, otherwise I can always improvise.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Wow, these are amazing! Good job :) Love the hail of arrows over Branwen.
    Thanks! Feel free to suggest a charname portrait if you like.
    You can just improvise ;)
    Thanks
    Cool, the halfling bard will be next in my queue. I anticipate having it done in roughly a week.
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    I'm still trying to think up a name for my character portrait you did for me ¬.¬ I am utterly useless I swear. On the plus side though, I have almost finished your portrait xD
    Ha ha no problem. Just for the clarification of everyone here I will post my current queue of portraits. Currently I'm working on the halfling bard, but a few work projects are taking up more of my time lately so it may take me a bit longer than I originally anticipated.

Portrait Queue
    EntropyXII's assassin character-ready to post as soon as I have a name :)
    Florin- male halfling bard-in progress
    Ivalla-female dwarven defender
    Cathigheri-male human jester
    Ophelia-female gnome illusionist
    Eye of Helm-beholder
    Hey everyone. It probably seems like it's been forever, but I've finally gotten around to making some progress on these portraits. Attached is Florin, a male halfling bard.

It might be a day or two before he is available in the portrait pack since I am trying to set some things up on mediafire, the site I use to distribute the pack.

I'm still a bit bogged down with work, but hopefully I'll have a little more time to work on these over the coming weeks.
    It's fa-bu-lous, YAY \o/
    I'm glad you like it. Another portrait is ready to go. This one is an idea of mine that I wanted to do, a female dwarven defender. I decided to name her Ivalla after a pretty bad ass dwarf noble character I had in Dragon Age. One thing I had a lot of fun with was trying to balance her feminine features with the typical dwarven beard.

Next up is Cathigheri, the human jester.
    @EntropyXII has finally given me a name for his character! Here is Zevastian the lawful evil assassin. You can see his original portrait at http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19032/exii-baldur-s-gate-portrait-pack#latest

Sorry @KidCarnival you have probably been waiting practically forever for Cathigheri. Right as I was about to start on him I got swamped with work again. I'll try and get him out as soon as possible, but it might be a week or two yet.
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    Bwahahahaha yes! Zevastian will slay you. SLAY. Sallay.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    @jakaminski - Not a problem at all, I've been stuck in an unstable time loop. Thank Helm a solar eclipse enhanced my powers and I could teleport myself out now.
    Cathigheri is finally finished. He is now available in the portrait pack and can also be seen on my deviantart account.

Not sure who I will do next. I may just skip to what is sure to be a rather strange beholder portait and leave my illusionist gnome lady for later.
    Eyelar is finished and probably one of the weirder portraits of the bunch. Next will probably be the gnome illusionist I mentioned.
    Just finished another portrait for the pack. This is Ophelia, a female gnome illusionist. I also have a gnomish fighter/illusionist in the works who will be up soon.

Just a notice to anyone who may be considering submitting a request, once BG2: EE is out I will probably undertake the considerable task of creating new portraits for everyone in that game. Any requests for personal character portraits may have to wait until I am done with all of the BG2 NPCs.
    Another portrait is finished. My newest character is a male gnome fighter/illusionist. I wanted to add a tougher looking gnome to the pack.
    Another new PC portrait is added to the pack. This character is named Talhom. He is a chaotic good half-elven archer(ranger). Considering that there are so many pictures of bow-wielding archers, I thought it might be fun to try a crossbow focused archer (possibly called an arbalist I think).
    Another new portrait has been added to the collection. Having finally found out the right name to override Arkanis's portrait (the dwarven fighter from the catacombs), I have decided to make a stylized version of him. I didn't stray too far from the original on this one.
    Having had a surprisingly productive day, I have yet another portrait to add. This character is named Gurdhena. She is a half orc barbarian.
    I've added another portrait to the pack. This is a stylized version of Deder, a halfling fighter/thief in the tutorial party who later joins you in the Candlekeep crypts.

I've heard that the new patch makes it so that only large sized portraits are necessary for enhanced edition. I haven't removed small and medium sizes yet as I have not gotten a chance to test this, but if there are no problems, then these sizes will probably be removed from the portrait pack to reduce the overall size of the download.
    Another portrait is finished. This is a stylized version of Mordaine, the elven invoker from the tutorial party.
    edited November 2013
    Oops, noticed that the portrait file displays a sketch layer that I forgot to turn off. Here is the proper file.
    Post edited by jakaminski on
    Another character portrait is finished. This one replaces the generic male elf portrait. He doesn't really have a character name associated with him, so I just named him Erethas in my deviantart gallery.

I'm eager to get started on Baldur's Gate 2 EE portraits and eager to start the game, but unfortunately I will probably have to wait until after I wrap some things up with work over the holidays. In the meantime, I think I will keep replacing the generic portraits in BG1 and then get started on BG2 stylized portraits.

Another generic portrait has been replaced. This one is of Canderous, the cleric from the Candlekeep tutorial party.
    Osprey is now finished. She is the cleric/mage in the Candlekeep tutorial party. That wraps up all of the "generic" characters you see in the actual game.

The only portrait left now is the beefy looking guy that starts off the male portrait selection. I will probably turn him into more of a barbarian looking character.
    I have finished the last of my generic portraits for now. This portrait replaces the beefy guy that starts male portrait selection (simply named Man1 in the game files). For this one I decided to change a few details such as hair and skin color. I think the portrait would probably be suitable for a barbarian or warrior type or even some kind of buff, combat-oriented spellcaster. He is named Antoch in my deviantart gallery since he is not connected to any particular character in the game.

The only portraits not covered by my pack currently are those that come with Baldur's Gate 2 (which are on my to-do list) and the new ones added by Jason Manley, which I probably will not be replacing unless someone really wants one of Manley's character portraits stylized.

I have one more protagonist character that I am making for myself, a male human Abjurer, and after that I plan to start on Baldur's Gate 2 portraits beginning with Irenicus.