Skip to content

xbox one: dead on arrival

ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
well, seeing what happened at e3 i don't see why they try anymore. for those who don't want pc drm and the new xbox one drm we now have ps4 which is entirely free of drm. am still going to move to pc completely myself, but it is good to see that sony isn't following microsoft's example.

Comments

• FornostFornost Member Posts: 42
    The only problem in ps4 is that if you want to play multiplayer, you have to be a plus-member.
    I'm going to buy it when the price drops in half, otherwise I'm sticking with PC
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I was really surprised by the price tags of the Xbox One compared to the PS4. Truth be told I thought the PS4 would cost almost double, but it doesn't. That's a great thing!
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Sony really did their marketing well this time. They saw the backlash against the Xbox One and catered to the haters. They focused on everything the Xbox does wrong, profiling themselves as the console that does everything right.
    That it's 20% cheaper is icing on the cake.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I just think the Xbox One isn't for gamers at all anymore. Rather a spiffed-up surround system. I mean, stuff a box full of timers, regulations and limitations and this is basically what you get: a box full of features you have to pay for. Either directly or indirectly through having to be online every so often. Microsoft also has the mistake of actually have not produced anything new. They basically put already existing devices and programs into one box. Besides, who would want to Skype while watching TV? If I watch TV, I want to focus on the screen. If I'm Skyping, I focus on the person I'm talking to. This only promotes even more problems with concentration and multi-tasking the current generation's suffering with. ADHD my arse. It's because of too many stimuli from the environment. Just imagine a young person sitting in a couch, eating, making homework and Skyping while watching TV and having a laptop on their knees at the same time. There's just something wrong with that picture.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited June 2013
    Fornost said:

The only problem in ps4 is that if you want to play multiplayer, you have to be a plus-member.
    I'm going to buy it when the price drops in half, otherwise I'm sticking with PC

Yeah, that kind of sucks, but it's not any worse than having to subscribe to XBL for the same thing for Xbox. And you get free games with Plus. I'm probably still not going to subscribe to Plus though. I pretty much never play multiplayer online anyway.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited June 2013
    With Sony apparently confirming that PS4 is not region locked... There really is no reason to consider the Xbox One... Ever since Windows 8 Microsoft hasn't really had any clue on what they should do... Maybe next time they make something new they won't make something they can't market to their consumers.

The biggest market for the Xbox One would've been gamers... But then they decided to make games be more or less a secondary feature on the thing and make it cost more than a gaming PC (that would have equal or better performance) making it obsolete upon reaching the market. The PS4 doesn't exactly do much better in terms of pricing and performance... But alteast it's still a gaming console.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I dunno @Kaltzor, the pricing for the PS4 and it's performance (which by far isn't top of the line anymore, but this is what you get from consoles anyway, and hardware changes all the time) is quite good. 400 bucks (about 100 more than the PS3) for a console that will be more or less 10 times (gross exaggeration, but still) stronger than its predecessor is not that bad.

Then again the console price never really was the problem - it's the games' price that is. 10 AAA games and you basically spent twice the amount of money into games than into the console.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    @cheesebelly have they said about how much triple a games will start costing? u think it will affect pc price at all?
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I wouldn't expect games to cost any more than they do now.
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    Personally, I'd be a little bit weary of Sony's promises; given how the altOS thing turned out, I wouldn't be surprised if draconian DRM was added later with a patch (because there is a reason for DRM; MS doesn't just include it for the evulz or to prevent sales)
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    @ambrennan Well... To be fair, nothing regarding actual DRM was said at E3... All they said that the console doesn't need an internet connection to work. I'm sure it has methods of telling a pirated game and not allowing someone to play it.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Well, I knew when Microsoft announced their ludicrous licensing schemes that all Sony would have to do is not do any of that, and that would be the console wars pretty much over. Unless Microsoft does some serious backpeddling and somehow convinces their customer that all that fiasco was just an april fool, then Sony will only have Nintendo to deal with, and they tend to cater to a different market anyway.

As far as online multiplayer goes, it's not a concern for me since I rarely bother with it. The sensible thing when a new console comes out is usually to wait a little bit until the price starts coming down, but this time around I'm in a position where I might have a bit of money to spare, so I might consider the PS4.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited June 2013
    I haven't really kept up on PS4 news since the initial announcement, but I thought Sony had said that they were leaving the issue of used games up to the publisher. So while you could freely share/sell games that were published by Sony, there was the possibility that third party publishers could choose to restrict this. Has this changed, or am I just remembering wrong?

Spent a minute searching and found the answer.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
    TJ_Hooker said:

I haven't really kept up on PS4 news since the initial announcement, but I thought Sony had said that they were leaving the issue of used games up to the publisher. So while you could freely share/sell games that were published by Sony, there was the possibility that third party publishers could choose to restrict this. Has this changed, or am I just remembering wrong?

I would think publishers would have that freedom, although I'm not sure. But if they've any sense at all, they'd see the backlash there's been against Microsoft, and previously against EA and others over similar things, and steer clear of it. People just don't want to pay a lot of money for games that they don't then own, or that might become unusable due to circumstances beyond their control.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    For me the issue isn't so much about a ban on used games as it is the DRM that would enforce it. Just think; if this were the case, it would be impossible to play an older game, as the servers would be dead. For example, what are the odds that any of the Infinity Engine games would still be supported?
    edited June 2013
    If the servers were to shut down I think they could just release a final patch that would remove the DRM requirement. Same thing Overhaul said they would do with BG:EE if Beamdog servers were to be shut down.

Edit: I'm not saying that I think that this is for sure what would happen in the case of the servers responsible for checking your XB One games went down. I'm just saying that it's not like being cut off from all your games is the only possible outcome if the servers were to shut down.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
    TJ_Hooker said:

If the servers were to shut down I think they could just release a final patch that would remove the DRM requirement. Same thing Overhaul said they would do with BG:EE if Beamdog servers were to be shut down.

I somehow doubt most companies would care enough to bother.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Yeah...that'll never happen......it's no different then an MMO closing it's doors. Once it's gone, it's gone.
    I think there's a pretty big difference between an MMO and a game that just has an online DRM component. MMOs obviously require the servers to function; they can't just release a patch when the servers go down because without the servers there is no game. In the case of a game like BG:EE, where the servers are required simply in order to verify the game, all the patch would need to do is remove that DRM check and the game would function perfectly fine without the servers.
    @TJ_Hooker
    And if the publisher could remove the DRM requirement with noting but a patch, the game would be laughably easy to crack. Any publisher that's worried about piracy isn't going to make it that easy to circumvent their anti-piracy measures.
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    @Malicron: I am sorry but that is nonsense; a "patch" is simply a change to the game files. Any copy-protection or DRM implemented in the game itself can, in theory, be disabled by such a patch. That applies to every PC game, and is the reason DRM remains laws-of-physics-breakingly hard on the PC or any other platform where the user is in theory able to arbitrarily modify all files, memory and network traffic on the fly.

The slightly less mindbogglingly stupid alternative is to run a cryptographically signed OS on special hardware (I.e. a games console) which only runs cryptographically signed applications (solving the problem by using essentially tamper proof hardware). But in that case, you could still remove the DRM checks with a simple patch (which the console will refuse to run unless you release the cryptographic signature)
    If you have to replace your console in the future, you could still be left with just useless plastic discs that won't run. With current consoles, the only way to play pirated games is to physically modify the console itself, and that's probably not going to change regardless of anything Sony or Microsoft do. Although one reason people might consider modding a console in the first place is to play imported games, so doing away with the region locks is probably a step in the right direction.

Really, I think it's not so much about piracy as trying to restrict people trading their older, used games, because they think they hurt sales of new games. I'm not really convinced by that, since new games have short shelf lives anyway, and people who buy used games can still use the extra money they've saved to buy DLC.

Of course, if in the future distribution all goes digital then it all becomes a moot point.
    edited June 2013
    Yeah....you can tell they're trying to edge their bets when most modern games...even RPGS...have average playtimes of 4-14 hours (or they include a tacked on multiplayer with a tier system to try and keep people playing despite being a monotonous POS)........I wouldn't pay 15 bucks for a game with that little value, let alone 60. (I paid 15 bucks for Early Access to the Kenshi alpha and have already clocked over 80+ hours in the game...despite only having a tiny fraction of it's intended content currently available (strongly recommend checking it out...just make sure to visit the www.lofigames.com forums or check some recent youtube videos before you think of dropping money on it...because it is in a pretty rough state at the moment (A lot of people have compared it's gameplay ideal to Mount and Blade).

Baldur's Gate was a value. You could sink 70+ hours into it easy....that's less then a dollar per hour you're spending (was about 50 bucks at release, if memory serves....god that was a long time ago). The above example is like 4 bucks per hour at the end range....plus all the unhealthy DLC and pre-order practices involved.

And here's the thing.....digital couldn't do used games because of how easily you could pirate and share games. But that's changed. With distribution models like Steam, there is no reason at all anymore to not allow people to sell and trade games between each other since you have an official means of transferring ownership of the digital media through those platforms.

While Steam's trade feature is currently useless, if it was re-tooled so people could trade game/DLC licenses for either other games or an agreed upon amount of Steam cash, you could have literally a finely regulated used game system for digital media. The same number of copies are still in circulation and people can recoup their money to spend on other games, and people that bought a game that looked promising but just didn't meet their expectations, could find someone else to buy or trade for it instead of having it languish in their account collecting dust. (I wish VERY much I could get rid of Skyrim and Dawn of War 2: Gold.....those games were MASSIVE disappointments to me, but I'm sure there's people out there who'd be more then willing to pay a little less then the normal steam price for the games and all their DLC).

@TJ_hooker
    Technically you can. It's why private servers exist. They've data-mined enough information to create emulated servers. Sure they're generally buggy as all hell..but there ya go....it's do-able. Though Consoles don't have that option (usually), once their server goes down, that's the end. Did they patch WK Chronicles so you could host local multiplayer games or using the host's machine as a server for people to connect to instead of their own? Even though all the resources to do so are on disc? Hell no...and no other games will either.

Also some games, like the PS2 Monster Hunter have all their content on disk, but after the servers were shut-down, over half the games content was locked out....but through use of gamesharks/codebreakers you could force them to unlock ANYWAY.
    @ZanathKariashi: Out of curiosity, how exactly did Skyrim disappoint you? I remember losing myself in that game for a total of more than 100 hours...before my PC crashed. :p
    edited June 2013
    Because it was a rail-roaded, linear POS, that was obviously just barely entering beta when it was released....I have played ALHPAs with fewer bugs then Skyrim STILL has. The only improvement I will acknowledge was combat, which was a major step forward for an Elder scrolls game.

I'm actually conflicted....as much as I absolutely hate Oblivion, I have a hard time saying which one I hate more......Skyrim gutted the game and gave you no choices to make, while oblivion was a shoddily done and the scaling was god awful, but managed to have more overall freedom, which is what Bethesda games (until Skyrim) have always focused on.

Morrowind had the most freedom of the modern games. You could literally be anything you wanted, and could literally tell the plot to go F it's self, screw destiny, and do things your way. And you could fly...can't over state that...the lack of flight has always just ruined it.....you cannot take a feature like that out and then tell people to suck it up, you're walking NOW!? F progress, we're taking 15 steps back for every forward step we take. And enchanting and spellmaking was awesome. Hated Skyrim and Oblivion's enchanting system.

Oblivion, you were still a nobody, free to make your own destiny. And despite removing flight and screwing the leveling system up BADLY....it still had a fair amount of freedom. Though the gutting of the disposition system was a prelude of things to come. And you still had spell-making at least, and the auto-unlocking of perks at set skills was a neat Idea (hated Skyrim's version of it).

Skyrim you have no freedom. Your destiny is set and you can't do a damn thing without it rail-roading you into being a Dragonborn. And the DLCs were much better.....Hearthfire was the best of the DLCs IMO, since it actually gave you a little bit of choice in how to build your house. Dragonborn the DLC was garbage, especially it's big and widely toted new ability....that was a clunky POS and useless outside of one very awkward forced story battle and represented a major lost opportunity. Enchanting was heavily restricted, crafting was an interesting idea, but seemed tacked on and I didn't like the removal of the repair skill (wouldn't have minded folding them together). I also disliked the removal of the old attribute system. While I agree it had it's share of problems, I disliked how Skyrim handled it. (A Hybrid method that allowed you to gain levels like Skyrim, but gave a flat 15 stat points to distribute instead of making you level up just so, would worked much better.)

And Dawnguard.....ugh....you have no choice. It ends the same way. You actually only get to choose between Side A, who has no disadvantages and gets everything Side B does + some awesome stuff, or Side B who doesn't get any of Side A's stuff, a bunch of penalties, and has even more potentially gamebreaking bugs. The Lord Form was clunky and useless (though I will admit Grip was fun (what a Master Level Telekinesis should've been).....when you could actually manage to hit an enemy with it, since it forced 3rd person and 3rd person sucks for aiming)

And completely beheading the speech and disposition system. They really should've just called speech, Mercantile. And they missed so many options during the Civil war quests.

And the overuse of lines....I swear to god, it seems like the full Skyrim script was maybe 5 pages long. And overuse of voice actors. While they had good talent, they didn't have enough of them, which is why full VA in a game of that scale is a GRAVE mistake. VA can add to immersion...but not when everyone sounds the %^#&%^#& same and says the exact same %^#&.

The most fun I had in Skyrim was a level 1, whole game challenge (minus the handful of Daedric quests with higher min levels), where my character attacked only using a shield, unless specifically required to do something else to fulfill the quest. And only due to the shear absurdity of a lvl 1 effortlessly killing lvl 50 Liches and Draugr Death Overlords (there's a surprizing number of areas who aren't level scaled, mostly Dragon Priest lairs or the final area before the final battle), with impunity, where as they normally present a challenge to even higher level characters, especially the ranged ones. But as I said, I do agree the combat was an improvement.....that was it.
    Hmm, that'sa lot of issues. I don't see how you weren't 'free' in this game. You could just as well say 'screw you' to the main quest and go on an epic cabbage hunt or something similiar. I also liked how you could be everything, how you could join various factions and how some of the choices you made had a bit of an impact afterall. But it is still largely up to you to do what you want. Don't want to become the Brotherhood's Listener? Don't do the quests. Things like that. It was awesome for roleplaying. I haven't played Morrowind (mostly due to the AWFUL graphics) nor Oblivion, so I can't comment on those. As for the bugs, they weren't that bad for me. The worst thing I saw was a flying mammoth. And that was actually hilarious.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @ZanathKariashi At a pinch, I would guess your issue lies with this being an Elder Scrolls game. It's a sweet game for sure, but with your expectations from previous games, I can see where you're coming from.

Starting with Oblivion, they've definitely aimed more towards a controlled, set of experiences. In a way, similar to the transition from open BG to streamlined and more linear BG2.

Different strokes for different folks (that is a saying, right?)
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    I'm turning my back on both. I'd rather have a Wii U.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud i dont know what system you play elder scrolls on, but there are some great graphic mods to make it a bit better. i personally don't care about graphics, and still play many older games. i am not just limited to ones i have already played and know i've enjoyed, i also play many that i have never tried before. also, if you play all of your elder scrolls on pc, there is a mod project that brings morrowind into oblivion and another one for skyrim. there is also one to bring oblivion into skyrim. as far as i remember the morroblivion is 100% complete, however these mods take really high end computers and you may need a cell buffer mod as well because it ends up lagging bad later without it.