Skip to content

Adding an option to hide helmets

Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
That pretty much that, I feel that it could be great to have the option to hide the helmets. There are already some ‘helm’ that are completely invisible and I would love to be able to hide the helmet (on my barbarian for example). What do you think?
  1. Adding an option to hide helmets124 votes
    1. Yes, it could be nice (Bg:ee and Bg2:ee)
      60.48%
    2. No, I don't like that (Bg:ee and Bg2:ee)
      39.52%
Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    As long as it was on a character by character basis; I'd like Jahiera without a helmet, but as there's no "bald" head, helmets are a must for Minsc and Seravok.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Agreed
  • Zzidolfas86Zzidolfas86 Member Posts: 77
    Yes please :)
    No, invalid argument Urd1en. If you take it off, prepare yourself for a rain of critical hit and your dead of course.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    This should be in feature requests, but agreed :)
  • alannahsmithalannahsmith Member Posts: 143
    Isn't that something you can do with nearinfinity?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

No, invalid argument Urd1en. If you take it off, prepare yourself for a rain of critical hit and your dead of course.

It was perfectly valid as it presented an answer to your query. You don't have to like the answer, but it was a valid answer.

If you really don't like it you can change your character's paperdoll in Shadowkeeper to that of a thief. Supposedly since thieves can't normally wear helmets it'll still show you wearing plate mail for instance, just not your helmet. I haven't tested it so I can't confirm it, but it should work.

Alternatively the BG2 Tweaks had an option that removed the helmet animation from everyone in the game. It also works with BGEE. More extreme but its an option.

Since it is purely a cosmetic change when frankly Beamdog should be focussed on creating new content (and probably fixing a few bugs) I say leave it up to modders.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I always played BG2 with a mod installed that removed helmet animations.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg2tweaks/cosmetic.php

It looks much better imho.. It would be great if there was a check box in options or something though instead of having to go to a third party for everything
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Isn't that what magic circlets and ioun stones are for? I always give Viconia the Pale Green Ioun stone in BG2 as soon as possible, as I feel helms take away from her "drowness."
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    And here I was expecting a topic about hide and leather helmets. Urhg!
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    It's kind of like a rain coat (IRL). If you want to be fashion, you get wet. If you want to stay dry, you put on the big bulky orange thing and just deal with it.

In NWN2 on PWs that I played, I always had the helmet as a quick slot item so I could take it off when talking to someone but wasn't hugely inconvenienced to put it back on when the action started. That doesn't exist in BG, but maybe it should? But I wouldn't want the helmet to merely disappear even when worn. that would be what I consider an immersion break.

If you don't like the look that much, go into your inventory and remove it. Simple. But I wouldn't want what the OP is posting. Personal opinion.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    @elminster
    Changing one's paperdoll has no effect on helmet animations whatsoever. Well, other than occasional clipping - helmets may sometimes look slightly weird on characters that were not originally intended to wear them.
    To prevent a helmet from appearing on the paperdoll, the helmet's paperdoll animation has to be altered. That can be easily done in DLTCEP, for instance.

Invisible helmets? No.
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    You would call the monk's helmet animation only *slightly* weird? As for changing appearance to thief, there are two problems - your char will look like a thief, and armour will not be displayed properly.

@Everyone voting no: OP is asking for an option to be added. No one would be forcing you to enable it.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Helmets are like condoms . Not so pretty to look at, worse without them!
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Having an option to hide the helmet is as immersion breaking as not being able to see most items that are equipped.

It would be a really good option to have and wouldn't be required to be used so if you didn't like it you could just leave it as on.
    edited June 2013
    @GoodSteve: must I remind you that hats, Stones, circlets, cloaks are invisible?
    @Elminster: this is about an esthetic option, there are no reason what so ever to suffer any penalty to customize to look of our toon (do the game force you to use the color of your avatar on your char?). If taking off the helm give +200f of detection radius, ok, but, that make no sense considering that there are no bonus for taking off the helm.
    @Mortianna: yes, that what I use usually, even if critical hit protection is a lot better.
    @the_spyder: with the exception that we are talking about a game, a quick slot item option can be a good idea.
    @DJKajuru: negative, there are a lot of nice helmet that I would love to equip to my toon, unfortunately, none of them are in the game.

@smeagolheart: thanks, I will use something like that for now, the vanilla helms were great, since TosC, they are horrible.

[edit] Considering that the option 'would' not be active by default and some of the arguments bellow, I see no reason to not have this kind of customization. To some disclaimers; did you boycott the game because their are an easy and an hard mode in it and not only 'core rules'? Is that really game breaking for you to know that you can actually play in windows mode instead of full screen? Did you know that you can change the default script of khalid to make him act like a bloodthirsty berserker with no fear? That what I judge invalid.

If you consider that this is the job of modder and that the player interface is already overcrowded of options or that you want beamdog to fix bugs before considering anything else.. I completely support your opposition, that make sense at least.
    Post edited by Twilight_Fox on
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    @Twilight_Fox yeah I don't understand the mentality of why people would want to not allow an option that they don't even have to use either.

I've seen a people argue as well along the lines of "if I don't get what I want then I don't want anyone to get anything" as well.
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    edited June 2013
    The standard helms are pretty ugly, and they tend to make the characters wearing them look a bit alike. Boring. I often play certain NPCs without their helms, although they are in the inventory in case they appear needed. Coran, I love to play with a shock of reddish brown hair and wearing the dark shadow armor as contrast. He becomes pretty dashing. Of course I've changed his portrait also. I like to play Viconia without a helm unless she is needed to tank. With Neera I enjoy seeing her go for a short while without the robe, when she thinks it's safe. I color the light garment below white to give her a very ethereal, other worldly, graceful look. Obviously, I'm not the kind of player who plans to get the last 1/2APR out of this game. For me the story and images of these great fantasy NPC's are more important.
    Post edited by franco on
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I'm in favor of this. Yeah, it doesn't make real-life sense, but why should it have to? It's a game. Games should be fun, and looking the way I want to is fun. If you're worried about immersion, just don't use the option. Besides, it wouldn't be the first piece of invisible equipment in the game. When was the last time you saw that cloak your character is supposedly wearing?

That said, this is a minor thing. If it'd take a lot of effort to implement (and given how many things in the Infinity Engine are hardcoded, it might well), then just don't do it. But if it's the sort of thing someone at Overhaul can whip out in an hour or two, it's worth considering. It'd make a lot of folks happy.
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    Next thing must be an Invisible stalker with an invisible helmet. Wouldn't that be cool to?

edited June 2013
    Maybe players would be more willing to see some of their party members with helms if they were designed better and there were a greater variety of them. As it is, all the standard ones look the same and the characters wearing them get to look alike. That would be a feature that I'd be happy to see.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    GoodSteve said:

I always thought the "hide" equipment options were just plain silly. How does one hide the fact that they are wearing a helmet? It toally breaks immersion for me and feels kinda power gamey. If you don't like the way the helmt looks, take it off. If you don't want to eat a bunch of criticals, wear a helmet. But to want the best of both worlds, with your invisble helmet is just plain dumb in my eyes.
    In a world with magic and invisibility, how can it be immersion breaking to have a invisible item?
    @Freche said "In a world with magic and invisibility, how can it be immersion breaking to have a invisible item? "

Intresting point. But then it makes me think. Why don't we then just give immunity to all party members versus criticals, and we can only critical the bad guys.

I very much like the immersion of deciding what and when to wear something. It is a form of roleplaying also.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    @franco
    Granting Critical Immunity wouldn't work because some classes can't wear a single helmet during BG1.
    I guess the solution to that would be to only give immunity for those classes that can wear standard helmets.

But I still think adding a mage NPC that have learned the rather unique ability to turn items invisible & visible would be the better option. Then it could even be added some kind of quest where the party needs to restore some invisible item or maybe hide an extremely dangerous one by turning it invisible before hiding it somewhere.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I'm all for options.

Some characters are simply not prone to criticals, are able to wear helms, but it would be nice for different reasons to have the helm not show on the paperdoll - if nothing else, to see different hair colors on similar equipped fighters and tell them apart easier. Some classes also scream "good at avoiding criticals", but the visual idea doesn't include a helm or even heavy armor - high dex rangers, barbarians, fighter/druids should look different than paladins or other knight-y fighters in full plate.