Skip to content

Is this real ? have my dreams come true :D

fallen97fallen97 Member Posts: 10
Well as a newcomer to this site and forum. Am so happy that BG2 is getting some love, now just how much love ?

What I mean to say is I looked over some info for this and I goto say am a bit confused as to what is changing. But if you wouldnt mind helping a new guy out with some answers to a few questions I would be a happy man.

I have read that this is a total rebuild with updated gfxs with new quests ? but is there anywhere I can read what is changing ?

Romances was a big part for BG for me, trying to win over Viconia or trying not to smash Aerie in the face with my hammer during her romance was fun, will romances still be a part of the Enchanted Edition or have they been added to ?

The Drow rule supreme !!!

As a Drow fanboy I have tried many times and failed to get a drow into BG2 go so far as to change my appearance in Shadowkeeper to a drow male or female, I have tried mods also, but they tend to be buggy and NPCs dont see you as a drow always a elf / half elf, have the drow been added in as a sub race that NPC's see you as a drow

Lastly.

Customisation, as this part of Bg2 been enhanced ?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    edited July 2012
    Try reading through the "decoding twitters" thread in the general forum. Otherwise, I'm not sure if there is a blatant "this game will have x new things" post yet. Suffice to say that from my understanding none of the old maps are being altered, you will be able to use Kits/BG2 classes in BG1, there is to be some graphical improvement but I guess maybe in the spells department only, the User Interface is being updated to have more of a "dwarven" look, and there is going to be a new NPC (or perhaps more than one) but because they can't legally edit old NPC's the new NPC's and old NPC's won't be able to interact between themselves. There will be new quests, but these like the new NPC's will come as part of some kind of DLC.

Also, there won't be any subraces (Drow, Duergar, etc) from my understanding.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    @fallen97 Actually these are enhanced versions of Baldur's Gate 1 + Tales of the Sword Coast (BG:EE) which is coming out this summer, and also Baldur's Gate 2 + Throne of Bhaal (BG2:EE), so it's not just BG2 that's getting some love. One quick comment about what @elminster said, I do believe that the team has mentioned possibly adding subraces post-release, although I don't have the quote handy.

As for what this enhanced edition is exactly, I'll direct you here. When that timer reaches zero, there will be news put up on that site which should detail everything you want to know, what the enhancements are, when they're being released, how much they'll cost, etc.
  • fallen97fallen97 Member Posts: 10
    Coo :D thanks for the msges guys :)

Am hopeful for Drow ( NWN 2 did them soo poor :'(.. ) a Drow / Drow Romance with Viconia would be interesting to say the least :D

@jaysl659 I read up on the timer ect so I wait like everyone else with lots of nail biting :s

It will be interesting to see what they can & cant do, Bg is the best D&D game out there hands down :D PS:T number two :D at first when a mate told me of this I goto admit I nearly went crazy flame post rdy :S but I goto say from what I read it all looks pretty interesting :D

• gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    No subraces afaik, and being drow doesn't make sense at all.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I'm guessing by Friday, we'll all have a better idea what to expect! ;)
    geselle said:

Tell that to Viconia :P rly tho why not ? it could happen
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    They'd have to rewrite a lot of stuff to have NPCs reacting to you being a drow. Though, on the other hand, people rarely (never?) reacted to you having Viconia in your party.

I've said this before, but sometimes story has to take a back seat to gameplay, that's why I'm all for subraces being added to the game.
    Drow are a very rare sight on the surface, and having a Drow who lived on the surface becoming a priestress of Bhaal just seemed incredibly unlikely to me, Sendai comes to mind (where does she come from?). Most children of Bhaal were humans, less were dwarves elves and the like. Half-Dragons giants drow and the likes are a very rare breed among Bhaal's children. I found it very difficult to believe there were Dragon priests or Fire Giant priests within Bhaal's church. So I assume most of those rare bhaalspawn were conceived as childs by force. And once more Drow are rare.
    Another example could be: Why weren't i born a Dragon, Yan-ti, Duergar etc. It's just too unlikely and would imply quite a lot disturbance in story telling. Who would help a race, that is widely considered evil?
    And nothing stops you form RPing your dark elf. But asking for a Drow subrace just seems a lot in my eyes, considering the short time they have/had to complete Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition.

Btw.: Don't want to be a grammar nazi, but it's called Enhanced, not Enchanted. Again, no offense.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    Enchanted Edition raises even more questions than Enhanced Edition. "Why do they mean by Enchanted?" "Will this turn people into frogs?" "Are there fairy godmothers?"
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Coriander said:

Enchanted Edition raises even more questions than Enhanced Edition. "Why do they mean by Enchanted?" "Will this turn people into frogs?" "Are there fairy godmothers?"

LOL!

@geselle lol none taken, a bad typo from a sleepy man :D

I get what your saying, and I do agree with you to a point. Tbh the way I see it is that baal was evil, thats how I have always seen him, so wouldnt he stick to the more evil races ? races he ad more things in common with....humans are the most lightly ofc as you rightly say Drow surfacers are rare for a number of reasons, but its not impossible and would be a interesting story, mainly coz of the questions you ask. Were dose she come from, who is she and whats her story.

It could be that, a matron mother saw a opportunity to give her house more power, but the child was cast out as he was a abomination, but not killed as the drow didn't want to anger baal. just a though off the top of my head.
  • odeeodee Member Posts: 87
    @fallen97
    Wow what a great fan-fic , if only there are no copyright issue baldursgate fan can ran wild with their own storyline
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    edited July 2012
    fallen97 said:

geselle said:

Tell that to Viconia :P rly tho why not ? it could happen
    Read here -> Add Drow Race

I hope drow will be added :)
    Being drow must somehow fit with your mother being a priestress of Bhaal. So your mother must be an outcast/renegade priest, who later joined a bhaal cult. But woman leaving Drow society, just to join another blood thirsty cult seems a bit off.
  • SirBuliwyfSirBuliwyf Member Posts: 137
    Take a look at the sticky at the top fo the feature requests forum to see what it likely and not likely to be included. No new gfx as far as I am aware. Lost source files and contract restrictions prevent that I think.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    geselle said:

Being drow must somehow fit with your mother being a priestress of Bhaal. So your mother must be an outcast/renegade priest, who later joined a bhaal cult. But woman leaving Drow society, just to join another blood thirsty cult seems a bit off.

A bloodthirsty cult like the church of the goddess of darkness, loss and secrets?

Sidenote: Am I the only one who started humming Bohemian Rhapsody after reading the thread title?
    Bhaal's church is on another level of blood fanaticism.