Skip to content

D&D Chronicals of Mystara now out on steam

ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
What do you guys think of this?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/229480/?snr=1_4_4__100_7

Anyone played the originals?

Comments

• Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    Yeah, they're excellent side-scroller beat 'em ups. Not really my genre of choice but they're fun.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited June 2013
    I was just about to create a topic about this newest D&D Game, but first checked if one was alreay there. If I had created the topic, the title would have been 'what Dungeons&Dragons has become to'. Though I'm not sure if it's proper enlish or a dutchism, it sums up my feelings about this.

I really wonder if this game has anything to do with D&D. What about roleplaying, a story, a character as in 'someone that has a personality'? What about Thac0 determining if you will hit instead of your own fast-clicking skills? What about quests that are about solving something instead of just kill-and-grab-loot? I really don't see a connection between what the title 'Dungeons & Dragons' advertises and what the game is about.

For me, it's the 2nd bad news about D&D, just like the BGEE patch release & sales of BGEE temporarily stopped. Strangely, BGEE can still be bought with intrusive Steam-DRM, but not with low-DRM Beamdog. So anyone who wants to buy it now, can only buy it in a way that requires a third-party client to run and Beamdog gets less of the profit. This week is a sad week for Dungeons&Dragons.
  • CrawleyCrawley Member Posts: 74
    You are wrong, this is great news and that game is absolutely bad ass. I am glad it got some refreshment from capcom and can be played on PC without using emulators.

Rejoice!
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited June 2013
    Just looked at some reviews. My opinion (and the opinion that it's great news) is a fine example of the role of theory in observation (I don't know how the dutch philosophical phrase 'theorie-geladenheid van de observatie' translates in english philosophical terms? *edit: my father suggests "theory-guidedness of observation"):

If seeing the game as a translation of the D&D PnP roleplaying experience of teenage years to modern-day computers, it comes off as very bad.

If seeing the game as a translation of the old arcade-hall gaming fun of teenage years, it comes off as very good news.

Just how it is in the eyes of those who are teen or twen now in the 2010's, I wouldn't know. I'm talking from the viewpoint of an old fart who played D&D round a table in the eighties and occasionaly ventured into arcade halls playing Gauntlet. Now that would be a trip down memory lane if Gauntlet was ported to the modern PC age, but if I put on above's second set of glasses, Chronicles of Mystara might function just as well.
    Post edited by Son_of_Imoen on
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    It's a fun version of D&D made clearly for multi-player. I enjoyed many SNES alike games as this in my youth, as GoldenAxe and King of Dragons.