Skip to content

A Quick Ask About Copyright

viaderviader Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 875
@Dee Can I use some resource from others games, like NWN, I don't know: portraits, soundtracks, soundsets, special effects, animations (last is special important for me http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19347/resource-pack-extended-animations#latest)

Can I use in my mod cool soundtrack, from popular band, if I attach in readme/authors/special thanks that, I use their music? I am not sure, if they response, if I ask :(

Comments

• LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    edited June 2013
    @viader If you have permission from the author (by license or personal permission), you can use it. If using a resource breaches copyright, it can't go up here.

NWN I'll find out about as it's related, but unless there's specific permission or the user is required to have the game installed, for most games it's going to be a no.

Your Extended Animations pack just seems to have Infinity Engine content unless I'm mistaken, which is fine.
  • viaderviader Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 875
    edited June 2013
    Thanks, license for music are usually hospitable for this target :), pack have only content from IE games now, I wanted add more in future, but nevermind :(
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Will this also count for forum avatars?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    We're more concerned with distribution of other people's work as your own (which is to say, packaging it within a mod you made and posting it on the forums). That's why the note about copyright is posted in the Modding subforum, rather than the site rules.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I figured, but never hurts to ask.
    Thanks for the clear answer.