Skip to content

Chapter 7 not working [MAJOR spoilers] + Book of Wisdom problem

puszczykpuszczyk Member Posts: 5
Hi, all. Nice to meet you and sorry in advance for any language errors - I'm not a native speaker.

I decided to do a playthrough of BGEE recently and got to the point when PC gets framed for murders in Candlekeep. After getting out of the catacombs I wanted to finish Ulgoth's Beard quests prior to the final confrontation, so I did the remaining one - Mysterious Island. This is when things got weird. I did not go to Baldur's Gate straight after leaving the catacombs, but went to UB instead. I was quite surprised to discover, that upon my reentry to BG the city did not change one bit. I'm not a fugitive, no Flaming Fist patrols, no Chapter 7 encounters, Iron Throne's tower as empty as I left it in Ch5. I can't do anything to move forward in the game. Funny thing is, Journal entries suggest I'm in fact not in Ch7, but in the Epilogue, although the passage through Shadow Thieves' guild is closed, so I can't get inside the labirynth. I have no savegames prior to my current predicament. Basically - I'm screwed. What should I do? I'm running a clean install of BG, no mods, nothing.

Second problem is minor in comparison. In Ch5 during the quest with Marek's poison I had to retrieve the Book of Wisdom from Tymora's temple, so I went there and attempted to buy it. The priest said, that apparently I'm desperate, so he would part with the book, took 500 gold and... nothing. I do know how that was possible - in the same chapter I "pickpocketted" the book from the priest and read it. Serves me right, you would say, but this is a serious issue if somebody didn't hear about EEKeeper, or doesn't have the patience to fiddle with its settings to make it work. Adding the book was the only thing I did, I didn't CLUAconsole any game variables, so I seriously doubt that my activities during this quest affected my Chapter 7 issue - it's worth looking into anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    Try typing CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("AR0123") in the console.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Start with CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("Teth"); and check its value. If it isn't a 2 then use SetGlobal to force it to a 2 and go back to Candlekeep (ar2626) or just SetGlobal("Chapter","GLOBAL",7) and try going to Baldur's Gate again.
    I am uncertain on the second issue. The global for "TalkedToUlbright" should have been 0 and "HelpJalantha" should have been a 1; after receiving the book "TalkedToUlbright" becomes a 1 and you have the book, item "book08".
  • puszczykpuszczyk Member Posts: 5
    Thank you, guys, tried all options and ("Chapter","GLOBAL",7) worked like a charm for me. (:

@Mathsorcerer I'm guessing the issue is caused by a small overlooking on Overhaul's part - when I actually gave the book to Jalantha I tried stealing it back (some people never learn, do they (; ). The theft was successful, but the book was not available for theft. Out of curiosity I killed her and bam, the book was there. I think they should add the same precaution to Ulbright's character, so that nobody can land in the same dead end as I did - unfortunately that's not happening anytime soon, due to Atari being a d*ck (go figure). I wonder when they will actually resolve the situation and publish the patch.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I would be highly surprised if the legal negotiations were settled within 6 months; my expectation is at least a year.

Just out of curiosity, you didn't pickpocket the book first and then talk to Ulbright, did you? The reason I ask is that if you did then he wouldn't have the book to give to you. The limitation of GiveItem is that the creature in question has to have the item in their inventory which means that the easy fix for us is to update chanth.dlg to use GiveItemCreate so even if you have stolen the book you can still get it. Of course, this would not be "real" (we suspend our disbelief when playing games)--you can't steal the book from and and also receive it.
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    Just got this bug too. Like @puszczyk i could continue only thanks to the ("Chapter","GLOBAL",7) code.

This should be fixed, because it's a serious bug that prevents finishing the game... So i'm tagging you @Dee, to be sure you see this.

I really con't see what could cause this. I was playing on 1.2 patch with SCS + BGTweaks. I also decided to did the TOSC quests after chapter 6, before chapter 7. Not sure if it can help.