Skip to content

Gaining HP on LVL UP

Ok im no new player for BG i did get the game when it came out back in 1998, i didnt get the game right from the start i did play with a thief, and i rolled stats just once, or better to say i didnt roll at all simply begin the game with the stats that i have i thought its ok like that i did have like 4 hp, lvl up till 9, with like 30 hp or so :) but did finish the game did what i have to till the end. First time playing didnt realized that i can have more hp less hp and so depending on statistics, was entirely new to me this kind of game. Then i began a new game with a fighter then and did my research now so i knew what i should and shouldnt have how much this a and that, and after that began new games like 8 times with different classes and races so i enjoyed the hell out the game back then. Now its some time that this new enhanced edition came out. Begin to play, like a HO Barbar, and stats like this 19/18/19/10/10/18. Untill this point everything was ok, begin as i did before, went trough beginner quest like i should. And went on with gorion.
Ok ill get to the point, sorry, so my point is, i didnt noticed first but, i did cause i have my party now full and have the new wildmage :) instead of minsc and dynaheir, instead of khalid and jaheira, have ajantis and branwen and instead of minsc have kivan, dynaheir is replaced by the wildmage sorry the name still cant remember, and thief is imoen. So i have my party did play do quest, explore kill a few vampiric wolfes and heres the problem, did get a new lvl with kivan, imoen and the mage after the fight. With imoen it was con 16 + 3 = 8hp, great. so i went to kivan, with d10, con 14 + 2 = 12hp, i guess always it was this way, now lvl up get 10 hp max. and i tried lowering the difficulty, but u can also do it without that by S/L method, mean QS QL. So anyway i didnt get more then 10hp, before this was the incident with ajantis too, instead of 13hp get only 12 no matter how many times i tried reloading, changing difficulty or whatever, nothing always 12hp, then my barbar lvled up, np at all 17hp, great, the same thing is with the wildmage. i mean she cant get more then 4 hp and i think she should go with 5hp. As far as i know hp is d4 so it should be like this 10 - 12 con = 4hp, 14 - 5 hp and 16 = 6 hp, maybe im wrong cause i did have dynaheir always before that and she is con 16 so its 6 hp/lvl, if max, so what is wrong. Simply cant get max HP per lvl, i know 1-2 hp is nothing but, if u do the math 7*2 is 14hp and it can be difference between life and death in some fights. I played trough the game not once twice but like 8 times, not in a row but in a course of time, so i know what it should be like. Anyway u can see that something is not working here right as it should. Maybe what i did mention with hp is not quite like that with the mage, but i think that a mage with 14 con should gain more like 4 hp, as best i know 1-4hp is the minimum what a mage can gain. Can u pls confirm that someone has a the same problem, or is something with my saves or i dont know. I wont begin a new game because of that, its not that of a deal, but its bugging me still and want to figure it out.

Comments

• ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    edited June 2013
    Is RTFM an allowed response on these forums?

There is a reason the manual includes physical ability tables and hitpoint progression.
    - Constitution of 7-14 grants *no bonus HP*, so Kivan will gain 1d10 per level up at low level. Neera, being a Mage, I'll gain 1d4 per level up
    - Constitution of 15 and 16 grants +1/+2 HP on level up so Adjantis will gain 1d10+2 HP per level up at low level; Imoen, being a thief, gains 1d6+2
    - only Fighter types benefit from higher constitution, which is why your barbarian with 19 con gains 1d12 + 5 HP per level up.

On lower difficulty, HP rolls are always maxed I.e. 1d12 will always be 12 whilst the game will actually roll on higher difficulty (roughly halving HP)
  • DeathproofDeathproof Member Posts: 6
    ok i just tried out some things checked on web if im going mad, and no im right, so it is like i thought it is mean when u have strength 10-11 +0, 12-13 +1, 14-15 +2, 16-17 +3, 18 +4, 19 +5 dont know further in 2nd edition, but what i have is as follows STR 10-11 +0, 12-13 +0, 14 +0, 15 +1, 16 +2, 17 +3, 18 +4, 19 +5. So stats 18 and 19 are ok also 17 is, but below that it isnt 16 should be +3 15 +2 14 +2 and so on. But i have 16 +2. Did create new chars and checked and it really looks like this is the way it is.
    ambrennan said:

Is RTFM an allowed response on these forums?

There is a reason the manual includes physical ability tables and hitpoint progression.
    - Constitution of 7-14 grants *no bonus HP*, so Kivan will gain 1d10 per level up at low level. Neera, being a Mage, I'll gain 1d4 per level up.
    - Constitution of 15 and 16 grants +1/+2 HP on level up so Adjantis will gain 1d10+2 HP per level up at low level.
    - only Fighter types benefit from higher constitution, which is why your barbarian with 19 con gains 1d12 + 5 HP per level up.

but its wrong, whys the change even in IWD 2 with DnD 2.5 edition was the same 15 +2. 16 +3 17 +3 18 +4, why is it changed ?
    just read the manual, and yes, when it comes to strenght everything is ok, when it comes to constitution everything is set out as for mages, i mean d4 characters, it means with a mage was a waste to have 18 con cause with 18 con u couldnt have more tehn 6 hp with, but with fighters it was different as i did said before 10 -11 +0, 12-13 +1 and so on, so with only 12 con a warrior could have 11 hp, with 14 con 12hp, with 16 con 13hp and 18con 14hp, did play IWD and IWD 2 more then once so sorry but i just know what im saying, they changed the rules, in some cases i think, google it up
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    Actually game is being faithful to the 2E rules it is based on. The charts you're citing are all 3E. (2.5 is an artificial definition for adding several supplemental books).

But per 2E it should be +1 for a 15 constitution; +2 for a 16 (and non-warriors stop there). Warriors only get a +3 for a 17 and +4 at 18.

The strength table is completely different. Below 16 you only get bonuses to max carry weight. But at 16 you get a +1 to damage only. At 17 you get a +1 to hit and damage; and it gets more complex from there. Really, look at the manual.
    atcDave said:

Actually game is being faithful to the 2E rules it is based on. The charts you're citing are all 3E. (2.5 is an artificial definition for adding several supplemental books).

But per 2E it should be +1 for a 15 constitution; +2 for a 16 (and non-warriors stop there). Warriors only get a +3 for a 17 and +4 at 18.

The strength table is completely different. Below 16 you only get bonuses to max carry weight. But at 16 you get a +1 to damage only. At 17 you get a +1 to hit and damage; and it gets more complex from there. Really, look at the manual.

FCK, my bad, i mixed up the 3rd with 2nd, im sorry about that, so theres nothing wrong with the game it seems, untill now that is, dont know if therell be bugs on the way, but ok. I didnt play anything with D&D in it, so i thought what i remember is correct, now i read this and http://huntershaven.wordpress.com/2011/07/15/dd-ability-scores-and-my-sense-of-scale/ and everything came back, the last D&D game what i played i think was NWN 2 and it used 3rd edition or 3.5 anyway, there was that new thing with ability scores and ye im sorry again, feel stupid :D, did finish the first BG 8 times the second i think 11 times and im so not remembering these things, ah well, i will now :D
    Hey not a problem. There's been so many variants its hard for any of us to be entirely sure of what's what! I've spent over 30 years playing AD&D, and I still mix up 1E and 2E on occasion!
  • dannymacdannymac Member Posts: 4
    My Thief has 19 constitution and I just realized he's only been gaining 2 HP per level, regardless of difficulty setting. Kinda sucks since he's getting gimped over the long haul. I wonder what the issue is...
    dannymac said:

My Thief has 19 constitution and I just realized he's only been gaining 2 HP per level, regardless of difficulty setting. Kinda sucks since he's getting gimped over the long haul. I wonder what the issue is...

All characters stop gaining full hit dice at the higher levels. Mages get 1 HP per level above 10th; Thieves gets 2 HP per level above 10th; Clerics get 2 HP per level above 9th; and Warriors get 3 HP per level above 9th. And no constitution bonuses.
    It keeps hit points from getting stupid high.