Skip to content

Would Dragon Disciple be stronger if it got more bonuses from Con?

FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
edited June 2013 in Feature Requests
Currently Dragon disciple, at least in my opinion, is a lot worse than sorcerer. The AC bonus is cool, but by the time it becomes meaningful you will have those epic mage defense spells, so it isnt that great. What really looks cool about it is its con bonuses, but only fighters gain bonuses for con over 16.

But what if dragon disciples also got minor bonuses for high con, like the fighters, but smaller. Or maybe an additional spellcast for every 5 con. Maybe something small would help it be better in comparison the the Sorcerer.

Just my thoughts, maybe it would be too srong
Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Why should it be better than the sorcerer, though?
  • FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
    It shouldnt be. It should be equal.

Imo all the kits/classes should be equal, (excpet multiclasses) but that would be quite hard to do. But, being a powergamer by nature I want to play Dragon Disciple, but then I feel like there is really no point.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Yeah, as a fellow powergamer it's pretty darn easy to just make a Fire-themed Wizard with a red color scheme and call him a Dragon Disciple.

The fact that the DD has the exact same "best" spells as the Sorcerer means it's going to play exactly like a Sorcerer, but with a few more HP and a few more rests per area.

IMHO the Dragon Disciple ought to give some real advantage to compensate for the spell loss, something which changes the resources available to be different from the Sorcerer. 3/day breath weapon, scaling up to 7/day at level 21, would be a start: then I could ignore Fireball / Delay Blast Fireball / Meteor Swarm and pick different spells (okay to be fair I already ignore Meteor Swarm...).
    Yeah. The dragon disciple is just a sorc with slightly more tankiness, but less spells, which is kinda pointless on a arcane caster. Their spells already make them practically invincible
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The dragon disciple would have been more attractive to me if it also came with unique dragon-themed spells and/or spell-like abilities, which only this kit has access to. For example, there are quite a few interesting spells to be found within the D&D 3.5 edition source book "Draconomicon: the Book of Dragons" that could fit BG:EE very well.

One thing I really miss from the BG:EE's kit are physical transformations, such as wings, claws, tail and size growth. On that note, there exist an most interesting article on WotC called Epic Insights - Transformational Prestige Class Epic Progressions, of which discusses exactly what I imagine an dragon disciple should be able to archieve in his/her life.

Of course, I still prefer the more fascinating Acolyte of the Skin. I mean, come on: replacing your own skin with a living Baatezu, Yugoloth or Tanar'ri and ultimately becoming a fiend yourself? Where do I have to sign up for such vile epicness?! >:D
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    They could at least make them immune to dragon's knock back (from dragons and the like). Not for BGEE obviously but for BG2EE. Just a suggestion :)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Moving this thread to Feature Requests. Carry on!
    Oops sorry
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    I think RDD should be reworked a little, too.
  • SwordsNotWordsSwordsNotWords Member Posts: 147
    I'd just like some extra unique content for the kit in the Dragon encounters in SoA and ToB.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    1) 18 con + 1 con tome + dragon disciple = constant regen
    2) -4 AC bonus = Totally avoid some damage
    3) extra powerful aoe spell = nice

For 1 less memorised spell per circle per day (still 5 different spells per circle but can only cast them 5 time a day instead of 6). Seem pretty legit/strong/balanced for me.

But the con bonus is bugged right now, my char is supposed to have 20 con, but have 22, so I'm less inclined to play it vs a regular one.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Could maybe give dragon disciples the fighter hitpoint bonuses for con (i.e. more hitpoints above 16 con).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    karnor00 said:

Could maybe give dragon disciples the fighter hitpoint bonuses for con (i.e. more hitpoints above 16 con).

This would be good. It would at least provide some purpose for the con bonus.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    A more Hardy Sorceror that breathes fire, I can deal with that.