Skip to content

Cant enter Baldur's Gate

mkel2385mkel2385 Member Posts: 3
edited November 2013 in Not An Issue
i Cant enter the city after the cloakwood mine floods any help? do i have to talk to someone to tigger the entrance or leave thru a certain part of the map? Chap 5 has started
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    You have to go across the bridge. Did you go across the bridge? It's the bridge-looking area right outside the city.
  • mkel2385mkel2385 Member Posts: 3
    the closet i can get to the city is the bandit camp northeast. cant even access the bridge outside the city. its still grey
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Strangely, if you charm the Flaming Fist guard standing on the bridge it will open even if you are not in chapter 5. I wouldn't recommend this for really low-level characters, of course.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I am uncertain because I have never done that, only noticed that it is there. As far as I can tell right now it won't actually break the main plot at all but low-level characters probably won't be able to handle the Marek/Lothander quest if they trigger it. I suspect some creatures or situations won't spawn if the chapter is less than 5, though.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mkel2385mkel2385 Member Posts: 3
    thats what i had to to thanks typo. and good piece of info Mathsorcerer i have to try that on my multiplayer play thru with my group
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681

Strangely, if you charm the Flaming Fist guard standing on the bridge it will open even if you are not in chapter 5. I wouldn't recommend this for really low-level characters, of course.

Can't reproduce this. The bridge update is handled through the area script; the Flaming Fist guard has nothing to do with it. Do you have any mods installed, or did you do something besides charm him?
    edited June 2013
    No, I don't use mods that anyone else creates--nothing personal, mind you, just a quirk of mine. (Well...perhaps I should be truthful about it--I did play through Trials of the Luremaster and Auril's Bane for IWD.) The creature file in question is flambrid.cre and part of his script is

IF
    StateCheck(Myself,STATE_CHARMED)
    Global("Drawbridge","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("Drawbridge","GLOBAL",1)
    CloseDoor("DoorDraw")
    END

The bridge is also handled through the area script, as you note, but I suspect you aren't reproducing this effect because it works only if you have not made it to chapter 5 yet. The pertinent slice of ar0900.bcs is

IF
    GlobalGT("Chapter","GLOBAL",4)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    ActionOverride("FLAMBRID",DestroySelf())
    Continue()
    END

IF
    Global("Chapter","GLOBAL",5)
    Global("Drawbridge","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("Drawbridge","GLOBAL",1)
    CloseDoor("DoorDraw")
    END

I do not know if this was an oversight on anyone's part when the game was first made or if it got put in there on purpose but it would reflect "reality" if you were actually in Faerun--charming the city guard to lower the drawbridge.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    I tested with a brand new game, so I definitely hadn't reached Chapter 5. :)

The only scripts I see assigned to flambrid.cre are shout, seeenemy, and wtasight. A BCS search for "Drawbridge" indicates the only place this variable is checked or set is AR0900.bcs. I'm looking in the latest release version, 2014.
    How curious. I am uncertain how to resolve this discrepancy because I am using 2014, myself, with no mods that anyone else has created and I have never edited that area before. *shrug*

It is possible--likely, in fact--that this is an old edit I created for vanilla BG eons ago then managed to import into BGEE and simply forgot about it. That would certainly explain why it exists in my version and not yours. The idea of charming the city guard to gain entrance to the city sounds like an idea I would have, as would opening the central portion of Candlekeep to new characters (which I have also done).