Skip to content

EE NPC BG2:EE Proficiencies

SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
Assuming BG2:EE ever does, in fact, happen, I'd like to request that if the game is going to go the original BG2 route and spawn new versions of the NPCs to recruit, that Dorn's extra proficiencies are not spent on a ranged weapon or the like. Leveling up from level 2 and on would be preferable, so that I can allocate his proficiencies into halberds or bastard swords or something. I'd much rather have CHARNAME being my go-to greatsword guy, and I like to have my companions wielding different weapons than CHARNAME, so if Dorn ends up looking like so:

Two-Handed Swords ++
Longbow ++
Two-Handed Weapon Style ++

I will be a little bummed. That is all.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I don't think they will give him bow proficiency. It doesn't seem very character like.
  • Draith012Draith012 Member Posts: 174
    Think Dorm is a crossbolt user if you recruit him at higher levels. What I rather see is for every character you use in BG1 the decisions you make for them upon leveling and placing points and whatnot will be carried over to the second game.

But short of that, the BG2:EE should give Dorn whatever is appropriate for his character. If you want something different, I believe mods can change that easily.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    That'd be nice, Draith, but without changing the intro a la the BGT mod, I don't think translating the same .CRE from one game to another will work very smoothly.

And part of the reason I made this request is because my CHARNAME already uses greatswords and crossbows, so I want to have a way to switch Dorn to halberds or some other proficiency with his extra pips.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    elminster said:

I don't think they will give him bow proficiency. It doesn't seem very character like.

I don't see bows any less fitting than crossbows for a half-orc. When I think of an orc (or half-orc) using a longbow, I think of Lurtz from Fellowship of the Ring:
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Don't worry, we'll do our best to trick out Dorn with daggers and darts. No bows.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Well, daggers or slings would be pretty synergistic with his high strength...
    edited July 2013
    If bastard swords were given their true one- or two-handed use in the game, it would be worth giving Dorn a point or two in them, especially since his two-handed weapon proficiency would apply. I'd like to see how he does with Kundane, Albruin, or the Sword of Balduran (not to mention the bastard swords in BG2).
    Post edited by Mortianna on
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Shouldn't be that hard (it's easy enough to set them up so you can swap between 1hd and 2hd forms), though if you set them up like that, they wouldn't be dual-wieldable or with shields, unless there's someway you could prevent them from changing it's form while having an off-hand item equipped. Otherwise you could just toss on a shield/off-hand weapon, and then swap to the 2hd version for a slight damage boost.
    @ZanathKariashi The G3 Tweaks mod installs the one/two handed conversion, which enables you to switch between bastard sword handedness, much like the Rod of Lordly Might from BG2. Not sure if its works with BGEE though. I would mod it in my own game, but I haven't yet been able to figure out how to do it.
    But does it prevent the issue I mentioned? As above, making a weapon swappable between 1hd and 2hd is extremely easy, making sure it can't be abused is the hard part, since swappable weapons by-pass the normal checks. It's why thrown axes, hammers, and daggers can't be dual-wielded, even though they have melee mode that functions identical to a normal weapon of that type.
    edited July 2013
    @ZanathKariashi I can see why thrown weapons would be prohibited from being dual-wielded, since there's no way to prevent players from dual-throwing them. As for swapping between 1h and 2h, how do you set it to toggle between the two? Making a one-handed weapon interchangeable as a thrown/missile weapon is easy, but I don't see how to get past the two-handed toggle function (I'm using DLTCEP).
    edited July 2013
    It's exactly the same as adding a ranged function to a weapon (I added a ranged mode to the Hammer of Thunderbolts and Crom Faeyr as well as the missing 10ft radius stun on impact effect when thrown (sets number of attacks to 1 while in ranged mode)). You just make the values the same as the 2hder of your choice as a base, and then tweak until you're happy with the result (was using NI for my tweaking).
    I tried the G3 mod and it works perfectly. When you toggle 1h/2h, it removes the sword from the weapon slot and puts it in your inventory with the new weapon style. You have to make a separate 2h sword and then assign it the "create inventory item" effect (referencing the 1h version), and then do the same with the 1h version.