Skip to content

In-universe justifications for game rules

13»

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,153
    And such things were often done in 2E PnP games BaldursCat. But BG is a bit more traditional in a way. And the specialty clerics were only half implemented.
    But I think we have to be fine with that. At some point, the players just need to accept the DM's ruling and play along. It's not rule by committee. What the DM says, goes. And in this case, the DM was Bioware, and they choose something closer to core.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited August 2013
    No....they couldn't wield Carsomyr, as Carsomyr is a holy sword and is paladin only...technically if it was PnP accurate, they could, but it would only function as a +2 2hded sword in the hands of a non-paladin.

And they would absolutely suck in combat due to lacking everything that makes a warrior class good in combat.

Not to mention being poor all the time due to having to donate 50% of all your income the church.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,153
    Zanath its only 10% that Paladins give to their church. "Tithe" means tenth.

They also cannot retain wealth or possess more than 10 magic items. But that has no bearing on their ability to spend the bulk of their earnings on the best weapons and items available.
    I've never had a problem with keeping a PnP Paladin competitive within his own party. Those restrictions can make for an interesting role playing challenge.

Clerics have no similar restriction. And logically, the details of giving and retaining wealth would vary greatly based on the specific faith involved.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited August 2013
    Didn't read my response clearly.

It has nothing to do with paladins aside from the bit talking about holy swords. Since he brought up a paladin only weapon when talking about a cleric kit for some reason.

The Mythos-priest kit Baldurscat was referring to is what I was talking about. They can become proficient in any melee weapon and get a free suit of plate and a 2hded sword at creation, and don't lose anything for it and in fact gain a few minor bonuses (can't be ambushed except on a 1, get a +2 bonus to disbelieve illusions and get a special once per day glyph of warding at level 7 that lasts 24 hours and deals more damage then normal, shaped like helms holy symbol).

But their penalty is that they have to give away 50% of all their income to the church of Helm. And if they're ever blinded by anything, they have to save or run in fear for 12 rounds. And for as long as they're blinded they're unable to use any of their special benefits or abilities, besides equipment use.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432

Didn't read my response clearly.

It has nothing to do with paladins aside from the bit talking about holy swords. Since he brought up a paladin only weapon when talking about a cleric kit for some reason.

Ah, fair point.