Skip to content

There is hope!

alnairalnair Member Posts: 561

Samuel Potter ‏@bg_sepotter
@TrentOster IF Baldur's Gate were to be auctioned off, and IF the price was one beamdog could afford, even if just barely, would you bid?

Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster
@bg_sepotter we are proposing something along those lines

Sources:

Comments

• MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    There would be hope, if it weren't for the fact that Baldur's Gate isn't on the list of IPs Atari is auctioning off.

I'm the first to admit to being an optimistic fool

And I'm the first to admit that I'm a pessimistic bastard, so maybe I'm not the guy to listen to here. *sigh* I don't know, I just don't see this ending well, but hell, I rarely see anything ending well.
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    Malicron said:

There would be hope, if it weren't for the fact that Baldur's Gate isn't on the list of IPs Atari is auctioning off.

Maybe that means they're proposing a private transaction, then? (I want hope.)
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Somehow I partially doubt the IP of Baldur's Gate is considered all that important by Atari and Hasbro... It being a relatively old game series and AD&D being outdated... Might be why it's not listed... Might also affect the price.
  • FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    edited June 2013
    I'm sure Hasbro place quite a bit of importance on the D&D digital rights though.

Beamdog would need to operate 'under license' from Hasbro. Although I hear that WotC and Beamdog are close, which would pretty much mean that Hasbro would have no qualms.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I kind of wonder if the entire D&D license isn't being auctioned off and that the BG component is bundled in there somewhere. That could be a bad thing because I don't see Beamdog having the cash to pony up for the entire license. (this is all 10000% wild and rampant speculation and based on zero facts)

On the other hand, I think that BG has proven to be capable of generating revenue. As such, I would hope that someone somewhere would see there is money to be made and at least attempt to pick it up.

But then I regularly eat at Milliways, so having ten impossible things with my breakfast cereal is normal for me. Or that's what the pink elephants tell me anyway.

I'm sure Hasbro place quite a bit of importance on the D&D digital rights though.

Hmm, Beamdog's contract with WotC/Hasbro is still intact, and WotC has said they still support the EEs, so all rights reverting back to Hasbro would still be a win.
  • FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    Yeah, sorry I edited my post...and it mirrors what you said. :)
    Malicron said:

Hmm, Beamdog's contract with WotC/Hasbro is still intact, and WotC has said they still support the EEs, so all rights reverting back to Hasbro would still be a win.
    Um, that's the first time I have ever seen someone use the words "Hasbro" and "Win" in the same sentence without words like "not" and "can't be" and other less politically correct words somewhere in between. But there is a first time for everything I guess.

• EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    I wondered if something along those lines were in the works.

It was a fairly dickish move for atari to enter into contracts without full disclosure while knowing how distressed their company was. From a speculative basis it could be viewed as a bargain in bad faith...especially considering how they are continuing to sell BGEE on steam while prohibiting Beamdog from doing the same.

Um, that's the first time I have ever seen someone use the words "Hasbro" and "Win" in the same sentence without words like "not" and "can't be" and other less politically correct words somewhere in between. But there is a first time for everything I guess.

I'm a Transformers fan; I'm used to thinking of Hasbro as, if not the "good guys", at least a neutral party. At the end of the day, they're no worse then most companies, an better than some (EA and Atari come to mind.)

@Flashheart No worries about the edit.
  • mement0mement0 Member Posts: 105
    I do not think that Beamdog has the money to outbid EA. Unless I have missed an official post or something, I chose to believe that all the legal bullying comes from EA. ;)
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Hope can be dissapointing, in the end. I think I'll stick to reality. I don't have big hopes about the problem being resolved quick, but I'm not denying that it can be resolved at all. All we can do is wait.
  • DafojkDafojk Member Posts: 111
    I've seen people here mention that BGEE sold okay and that BG still can generate some revenue. ANyone know where this information comes from? Does anyone even know if BGEE sold well? To me its hard to tell without some facts :)

Hoping for the best
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    Dafojk said:

I've seen people here mention that BGEE sold okay and that BG still can generate some revenue. ANyone know where this information comes from? Does anyone even know if BGEE sold well?

I have no knowledge of what sales were like for BGEE, but it's important to remember that "selling well" is, to some extent, a subjective judgment. A massive, management-heavy company like EA might well judge sales numbers that would thrill a smaller, leaner company unacceptably low. It's not *entirely* a matter of perspective, but it is partially a matter of perspective.

But as I said, I have no perspective whatsoever on the BGEE sales, other than that they were apparently sufficient to justify Overhaul continuing work on BG2EE and hiring a new writer to work on it and other projects (and oh, I have been *busy* these last few weeks) after Dave Gross decided to pursue novel writing full-time.

The opinions expressed here are solely my own yaddayaddayadda.
    I can't provide "Facts" but maybe others can. I can say that I wouldn't imagine that the very impressive level of support we have seen from BG:EE thus far would have been as robust as it is if they hadn't shown some form of profit by now. Not that the good folks at Beamdog aren't dedicated to their jobs and providing a good product, but there is a logical jumping off point if you can't even pay your people. They aren't a charity after all.

Nor do I imagine that any work at all would have been done on BG2:EE if they didn't anticipate that they could make money off of it based on the sales of BG:EE. They did say early on after launch that BG:EE was a proof of concept and that the green light wouldn't be given on BG2 unless certain criteria in the way of sales were met for BG:EE. Presumably they were met. QED.

But these are all suppositions on my part.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Malicron said:

That might be a good thing, though - they wouldn't auction it off if they were already negotiating the sale of that particular IP...
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122

(and oh, I have been *busy* these last few weeks).

Tell me what on. It will be our little secret, no one outside this thread needs to know :p
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    This whole mess started in a very unfortunate period of time. With the continuous success of classic rpgs on kickstarter, the whole gaming branch has received (in this case atleast) a lot of unwanted attention from publishers. Since beamdog is just a small fish in a huge sea ruled by giant sharks, i think it is rather unlikely, beamdog will even come close to the money offered for this legendary franchise name, should the franchise be sold through an auction.
    Dark times indeed for beamdog.
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    Hmmm, I need to vent this but it's a real shame Beamdog has encountered such large hurdles with this enhanced edition. consisting of the anger back lash from lengthening the deadline when the game was to be released, unfulfilled feature that the game apparently offered (example: The multiplayer), contractual limitations which close off what they can actually do with the game and now this, just when a large patch which many people have been eager about. Which I like to mention still doesn't solve the missing features which were put onto the table early on like Adventure Y and Multiplayer servers.

I cannot imagine the frustration this has been for the developers especially now that they cannot even sell the game. Hopefully the latest hurdle can be jumped but I also feel the need to express my own annoyance, I find myself waiting and hanging around on the forums rather than playing the game. I've already played this game thousands of times back in the past and I had bought this game to play with my friends and other players. I am sick of using Hamachi which does not always work and in some cases cuts off the acess of my internet, Hamachi can be too personal, would be nice to hop onto a server much like how gameranger handles it to see who is playing and asking if you can join.

Ever since the game was announced there has been a mountain to climb or a wait for a new patch, a new feature, or an unexpected delay or deadlines not being met and what annoys me more is the mention of a big new juicy patch then people saying "coming soon" or just the word "Soon" which really means: "Not sure", "Don't Know", "When we have finished it" or "at the end of the of the month/in a couple of months"

getting back to the OP, I don't know what is going to happen but this just seems like another calendar date which is shady and uncertain, its re-release is "coming soon" :P. I don't think I will pre-order Baldurs Gate 2: EE if that title will even be in the works any more. My confidence in Beamdog releasing games relating to Baldur's gate is very low now knowing long waits for fixes and features will be expected and annoying limitations can happen any time even after the game has been released for over a year. I feel slightly fooled by my myself and my nostalgia, the well presented website and forums back when the game was in the works made me expect something that was not delivered and I do not have great expectations only what is said on the tin and event that needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, I am glad I have learnt my lesson.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681

They did say early on after launch that BG:EE was a proof of concept and that the green light wouldn't be given on BG2 unless certain criteria in the way of sales were met for BG:EE.

Beamdog had a contract to deliver both games. The "proof of concept" you're thinking of is for a hypothetical BG3. :)
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    Dee said:

@AndrewFoley
    I think we need to buy you a t-shirt with that disclaimer on it. :)

I've gotten better over time, but I can still be a mouthy, opinionated #*(& sometimes (check my twitter if you don't believe me) (seriously, check it. Then follow it. @theandrewfoley I WANT YOUR LOOOOOOVE).

In an environment like this where I could potentially be perceived as representing someone or thing more than my own idiot self, it's always best to make sure nobody mistakes whatever nonsense I'm babbling for anything but what it is. :)
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    Well I'm assuming here. I'm going to guess the legal trouble is that Atari is trying to privately sell BG rights either to Hasbro/WOTC or Beamdog. However the banks who want their debts want everything publicly auctioned for more revenue.

So far it isn't on the list of things to be auctioned. If it does get publicly auctioned I'm curious how much it would go for. I might even bid myself if it's low enough.
    edited June 2013
    Jalily said:

They did say early on after launch that BG:EE was a proof of concept and that the green light wouldn't be given on BG2 unless certain criteria in the way of sales were met for BG:EE.

Beamdog had a contract to deliver both games. The "proof of concept" you're thinking of is for a hypothetical BG3. :)
    Ah, thanks for the correction.

@TheGreatKhan - I'd chip in some money if it came to that. Wouldn't that be a kick in EA's craw if a consortium of enthusiastic gamers got together and out-bid and then out sold them?

• ShadowdemonShadowdemon Member Posts: 80

I kind of wonder if the entire D&D license isn't being auctioned off and that the BG component is bundled in there somewhere. That could be a bad thing because I don't see Beamdog having the cash to pony up for the entire license. (this is all 10000% wild and rampant speculation and based on zero facts)

On the other hand, I think that BG has proven to be capable of generating revenue. As such, I would hope that someone somewhere would see there is money to be made and at least attempt to pick it up.

But then I regularly eat at Milliways, so having ten impossible things with my breakfast cereal is normal for me. Or that's what the pink elephants tell me anyway.

The license for the digital rights to D&D was supposedly returned to Hasbro a year or two ago when they sued Atari. Atari was able to keep some rights to BG (and possibly the other IE games) but it was never revealed exactly what it was. If they have rights to the BG name then I can see that as being expensive since that would include the rights to BG3, BG4, BG DA 3, etc. If they just have the rights to games already produced then it may go cheap since there would not be a ton of interest in a 10 year old 2D game.

I didn't see BG on the list of stuff they are auctioning but that may mean they didn't consider it important enough to list. However, they may want to keep it since it makes them some money. Judging by the crap they have on their site it is probably one of their top money makers. They would want to try to keep some of their IPs otherwise they would have nothing to make money on when they emerge from bankruptcy protection. I question the need to piss off a developer that is making them money especially in their condition but I don't think the people running Atari are the brightest bulbs on the tree either.

At least that is my theory anyway.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    edited June 2013
    If they were to sell the Baldur's Gate IP then personally I'd hope for a bigger studio to buy it. Beamdog are great with what they're trying to do with BG:EE, but if it's to be sold off to anyone then I'd appreciate it being bought by a studio with better resources to not only take the game to a wider market, but also to potentially do more ambitious projects with the BG IP than tinkering with the old game somewhat.

I'd also wouldn't be entirely optimistic about Beamdog acquiring Baldur's Gate itself. From what they've said about money and resources being a real issue when it comes to what they can do with BG:EE regardless of the legal restrictions it doesn't make me feel confident they could raise a viable offer, especially when bigger studios could probably outmatch much of what they could offer. I have to wonder if this talk is due to the same eagerness that made Trent and co. take on BG:EE despite all the legal 'mumbo jumbo' they had to put up with just to do that.