Skip to content

Find Familiar

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
I have just finished my exploration of the coastline, where I found the Tome of 'Something that gives me +1 Constitution'. When I rolled my EE PC, I deliberately gave him 1 extra Constitution point (16) compared to my Vanilla run, partly because I wanted to minimise the early-game 'Oops 1-shot I'm dead and I need to reload' period, and partly because I want to try out Familiars, and I knew I'd lose 1 Con point when it dies, which will probably be unavoidable. So... now that Charname has that extra Con point, I'm ready to summon my minature dragon. :D

I suspect familiars are far from effective from a gaming perspective, but given that I want to summon one for RP purposes, do they actually do anything useful at all? Is there any viable tactics or things you can do with them?

With only 12 hp, it seems a bad idea to bring it anywhere near a serious fight, and the lawful good one does not seem to have any utility value like detecting traps or pick-pocketing.

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Every familiar has its own strengths. Some have thief skills, some have resistances, some have magic spells. All of them can be picked up and put in your pack and all of them give you bonus HP. They shouldn't be used in battle outside of specific circumstances.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited July 2013
    CaptRory said:

Every familiar has its own strengths. Some have thief skills, some have resistances, some have magic spells. All of them can be picked up and put in your pack and all of them give you bonus HP. They shouldn't be used in battle outside of specific circumstances.

U can put them in ur inventory?! I didn't know that... how? That'd help keep it alive for sure, and then it's just like having 6 free hps permanently isn't it?

Update:

Oh nevermind, I just worked it out! Cool now I got a minature dragon in my pack. lol
  • raxtorenraxtoren Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2013
    Just looked it up... hmm there is a tome of every ability for a perm +1.
    So basically, you should never put 18+ in anythig, really. or rather, not something you really dont need 100%. I mean 18 constitution really help in the start etc...
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited July 2013
    Force talk to your familiar and it will let you put it in your backpack. You can also play with it and feed it. It will still give you the bonus HP if it's in your backpack, but it can't attack or use it's special abilities before you put it out again.
    raxtoren said:

So basically, you should never put 18+ in anythig, really. or rather, not something you really dont need 100%. I mean 18 constitution really help in the start etc...

You should put 18 in :

Strength : More damage and better Thac0
    Constitution : Gives you more health if you're a fighter, paladin, barbarian or ranger. The other classes stop gaining more health after 16 constituton.
    Wisdom : Grants you more divine spells the higher wisdom you have
    Dexterity : Getting 19 dexterity doesn't improve your AC (It improves at 18 and 21) but 19 dexterity will still improve your rogue skills and ranged Thac0.
    Charisma : Shopping prices and reaction.
    Intellect : This one isn't really that important. The difference between 18 and 19 intellect is 2% chanse to learn spells and some lore.

You can go all the way up to 25 in a stat.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    raxtoren said:

Actually, you can go to 19 or higher, so 18s can be a big help. Especially strength or Constitution on a warrior.

But don't worry too much about the min/maxing game. A balanced character can be just effective in the long run as one maxed out in certain areas. And there are items, especially in BG2 that will set certain scores at 18 or higher, no matter what your base score is.
    raxtoren said:

Yeah, I know, and I think u can get +3 for Wisdom eventually.

And yes Cons is very useful, as is Dex, but as I mentioned before, my Fighter/Mage is supposed to be a bit fragile compared to a man-mountain-of-a-warrior kinda hero, so I never wanted him to have more than 16 Constitution anyway.

I quite like the balance I have achieved. With -6 AC thanks to good gear and Dex, he avoids alot of incoming attacks and can stand toe to toe against most enemies in melee combat. However if he does get hit, it usually means I need to be careful and possibly retreat, since he is not designed to be a tanky fighter.
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    edited July 2013
    Is there any viable tactics or things you can do with them?
    Abilities vary so check the description, but iirc the dragon is immune to petrification .
    ambrennan said:

Is there any viable tactics or things you can do with them?
    Abilities vary so check the description, but iirc the dragon is immune to petrification .

Ah, that'd have been useful for the Basilisks and Muntamin... I stumbled into it by accident and only had 1 Stone to Flesh scroll ready. The 'friendly ghoul' also turned on me cos I decided to rest to memorize 2 Protect vs Petri spells... Ended up getting Imoen, Minsc and Khalid turned to stone before I killed Muntamin and his pets. Obviously had to run back to Beregost and return with more scrolls... closest battle I've had where I was not forced to reload.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well, in combat, the familiars are not really supposed to be fighting... They used to be good, mostly because they were intended to be able to survive in BG2, but then they scaled them down to BG1...

Also, to see what every familiar has, the spell description has a listing of all them and which alignment gets which...

And Constitution, for non-fighters, anything between 16 and 20 is meaningless, at 20 you gain a little bit of natural regeneration... But pretty much the only way to get 20 Con without cheating pretty much is being a half-orc with 19 normally and using the tome, playing through the game multiple times go get the tome over and over or being a Dragon Desciple Sorcerer who gain +1 to Con at levels 5 and 15 (though it was added in the 1.0.2014 version which may not be on steam...)
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    High Con for non-fighters does let you use that cursed ring for sale at High Hedge without penalty. Just a thought.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2013

Do they actually do anything useful at all? Is there any viable tactics or things you can do with them?

Edit: Apparently they nerfed the invisibility '10 from fairy dragons. So my point was rendered kind of moot :)