Skip to content

Very new player class and party questions

Hi guys. I got BGEE recently and I'm struggling with classes and party members. Whilst I'm not a stranger to RPGs in general, they are all newer and easier than BG, so I was wondering what a good class for a new player was? Personally, I was thinking of a fighter/cleric or ranger/cleric for my first play through.

Party wise, would a party like this be balanced?

Jaheria
Khalid
Minsc
Dynaheir/Xan/Neera (unless there's a way to keep Edwin and Minsc in the party)
Imoen (most likely going to leave her as a thief for the first play through, at least until I get a better handle on dual classing and levelling)

Hmm, looking at that party, I think I'm quite light on healing spells, unless a ranger/cleric can handle healing? What do people think of this set up? Any help you guys can offer would be great.

Comments

• zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited July 2013
    fighter/cleric is very strong probably strongest in old bg1 and you don't really need more healing(no need for more clerics/druids) just put in game options "reast till full healed"

other good options for new players are
    fighter/thiefs with bows/something meele
    ranger/clerics like fighter cleric but with few new spells from druids
    berserkers or barbarians
    paladins or rangers

you should do very well with this party but

minsc + dynaheir is a pair you can't really dump her and choose neera

khalid + jaheira is a pair

you can swith jaheira and khalid for any other fighters because you have cleric so you don't really need jaheira

you can switch imoen for coran because coran is great as archer imoen is only "decent"

kivan(another great archer) and ajantis can be your other fighters options for good party(not evil)
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959

Hi guys. I got BGEE recently and I'm struggling with classes and party members. Whilst I'm not a stranger to RPGs in general, they are all newer and easier than BG, so I was wondering what a good class for a new player was? Personally, I was thinking of a fighter/cleric or ranger/cleric for my first play through.

Party wise, would a party like this be balanced?

Jaheria
    Khalid
    Minsc
    Dynaheir/Xan/Neera (unless there's a way to keep Edwin and Minsc in the party)
    Imoen (most likely going to leave her as a thief for the first play through, at least until I get a better handle on dual classing and levelling)

Hmm, looking at that party, I think I'm quite light on healing spells, unless a ranger/cleric can handle healing? What do people think of this set up? Any help you guys can offer would be great.

Welcome to BG and the forum. This game has a steep learning curve, but it is well worth it. =)

Pretty much any character can complete the game. Fighter/Cleric is a very strong choice if you had to choose between the two. Even if you did not take F/C, just Jaheira is fine for healing. The value of healers really declines as you advance into the game, because you will have more than enough gold to buy healing potions and pay temples for healing, and clerical healing spells are not that effective as your party levels up.

There is no way to keep both Minsc and Edwin, and having evil characters in a good party always causes problems anyway, so I would not recommend it.

Incidentally, if you stick with Dynaheir, you would be using the canon party, which would make more sense if you continue on into BG 2.

Finally, don't make the mistake I did with my first play-through, make sure to put Imoen's thief points into detecting traps. You need that to be at 100 for the endgame.
  • ThePreacherThePreacher Member Posts: 2

Welcome to BG and the forum. This game has a steep learning curve, but it is well worth it. =)

Pretty much any character can complete the game. Fighter/Cleric is a very strong choice if you had to choose between the two. Even if you did not take F/C, just Jaheira is fine for healing. The value of healers really declines as you advance into the game, because you will have more than enough gold to buy healing potions and pay temples for healing, and clerical healing spells are not that effective as your party levels up.

There is no way to keep both Minsc and Edwin, and having evil characters in a good party always causes problems anyway, so I would not recommend it.

Incidentally, if you stick with Dynaheir, you would be using the canon party, which would make more sense if you continue on into BG 2.

Finally, don't make the mistake I did with my first play-through, make sure to put Imoen's thief points into detecting traps. You need that to be at 100 for the endgame.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice :)

I have heard that the game auto levels thieves who aren't in the party weirdly, putting points in pickpocket rather than traps. One of my friends told me to either use Imoen or be the party thief myself for BG. I don't know how accurate he was being though, he could just be biased.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited July 2013

I have heard that the game auto levels thieves who aren't in the party weirdly, putting points in pickpocket rather than traps. One of my friends told me to either use Imoen or be the party thief myself for BG. I don't know how accurate he was being though, he could just be biased.
    the game is not very intelligent about level up so your friend is probably right

and you always can just be fighter/thief and stick with jaheira
    fighter/thief with bows and something for melee is very decent character maybe even more versatile compared to fighter/thief coz you can always stand in the back shooting arrows rather than fighting in close combat

also if you are fighter/thief you can dual imoen for more spells and some thief skills/arrows to the knee
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959

He is accurate I believe. Imoen is a Good thief, so she should not do much pick-pocketing anyway (u won't be missing out on much, the only person worth picking the pockets of is Algernon, and u can do that with her basic skill level with some save-loads.)

And yes, detecting traps is very important, so if you wanted an offensive thief with backstabbing or traps, u need to roll a PC thief. I would not recommend that for a total beginner though, it's usually easier to just hack the enemy down with a nice sword or blast them with a fireball.
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    Just want to add this: If you only want one of the npcs of a pair (say, you'd rather have Neera instead of Dynaheir, but keep Minsc (which I wholeheartedly support btw)), there are ways to "break them up".

You could get one of them killed and then remove them, for the more permanent and gory option, or you could leave them alone in a building, and then remove them.

Personally I like to get them petrified (make them use a cursed scroll of petrification), so they'll just wait as nice little statues till you decide to let them join again. Or not.

And for your own Char: fighter/cleric for a decent melee/healer or ranger/cleric for the ultimate divine caster. (This is one of my fav class-combos ^^)