Skip to content

The Beserker Death by Exhaustion is beyond irritating.

When you're 1st level, a Beserker fighter, have maximum hit points, and you travel too far or OMG rest, you DIE. The cause of death is an annoying glitch. During a very fun hardcore run this happened to me. But this quickly turned into a nightmare, that has yet to end. While traveling from the Bassilus map to the Safana map I encountered 3 gnolls. I am traveling with Neera and we are both 1st level, and the difficulty is set to hard. So one swing from those smelly beasts could mean instant decapitation. I went beserk and kept them at bay while Neera kept her distance and used the wand of MM. It was a fun fight, and we won. My beserker did not get hit, and yet when we resumed travel I arrived dead on the scene.

Infuriated, I decided to begin again from the auto-save with the hopes of repeating the same encounter and letting the chips fall where they may. And that's when hell became reality. Apparently, getting 3 gnolls as an encounter is as rare as meeting a beer vender at a funeral. I must have tried 30 times before giving up for the night. I get 2 wargs, or 4 dogs, but never the 3 gnolls. I am close to becoming real life beserk!!!!!!

kerblahh!!!

Comments

• FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
    I noticed this too, I dont like to play Berserkers much, but it is really annoying.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited July 2013
    Now just imagine they also had much less benefits, 30% chance of complete loss of control, hide your health total and prevent healing while enraged (as per what it SHOULD be)....the class would ALMOST be balanced vs a normal fighter.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Lateralus, could you please outline what the glitch is?
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    Berserker rage adds an extra 15HP (both max and current); normally, when rage ends you lose 15HP, and then max HP is reduced back to normal (this will briefly cause the character portrait to reflect damage). In some situations, it seems that this is glitched in that the 15HP are subtracted after max HP is reset to normal. [if you have less than 15HP this will kill you, and it will have no effect if you have taken more than 15 damage in a fight]

I've seen that glitch in Black Pits, and the simple workaround is to not travel/rest until rage has worn off.
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    edited July 2013
    If you want to replicate the bug, start a new game with a minimum constitution berserker, then activate rage and immediately sleep at the inn. Game over. I made a video (http://freakshare.com/files/3shrwmp3/baldur_berserk_bug.mp4.html) but don't do Youtube, sorry.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I was ready to bet this bug was fixed. Apparently I am wrong O_o
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125

Exactly. @Jalily wasn't it?
  • rathlordrathlord Member Posts: 171
    I've had this happen myself once or twice.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Set the difficulty to core when your rage is going to expire, or you take more damage than you should, and risk dying.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited July 2013

Exactly. @Jalily wasn't it?
    It is. It's been a while since the last patch.
  • EejitEejit Member Posts: 55
    Not a bug, it's an undocumented balance change to op zerkers !
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Lateralus said:

My beserker did not get hit, and yet when we resumed travel I arrived dead on the scene.

I can't put into words how funny this statement is. I guess it was one of those days. :D
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The strange implication here is that your character died en route, and either your companions didn't notice, or just decided to carry your now-rotting carcass to the next spot of wilderness.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    High Blood Pressure is known as the silent killer. You never know when it will strike.

The combination of a Berserker's notoriously bad stress management and the lack of modern medicine such as ace-inhibitors, Beta-blockers, Angiotensins - et al, often proves lethal.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Calmar said:

Lateralus said:

My beserker did not get hit, and yet when we resumed travel I arrived dead on the scene.

I can't put into words how funny this statement is. I guess it was one of those days. :D
    I'll tell you what's even funnier, Neera. She was standing downwind of my beserker when a strong breeze blew most of his ashen remains right into her face. I thought I heard her say, "Did I do that?!?".

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

Now just imagine they also had much less benefits, 30% chance of complete loss of control, hide your health total and prevent healing while enraged (as per what it SHOULD be)....the class would ALMOST be balanced vs a normal fighter.

Well, it could be based more on the Frenzied Berserker PrC from 3E, which has no such disadvantages.

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    did the OP by any chance use any of these names for their Zerker??

Schwarzenegger
    Stalone
    Li
    Lundgrun

or

Van Dam

Might be your problem right there. They are Expendable after all.

did the OP by any chance use any of these names for their Zerker??

Schwarzenegger
    Stalone
    Li
    Lundgrun

or

Van Dam

Might be your problem right there. They are Expendable after all.

His name is Chuck Norris. He actually killed Sarevok while Gorion ran for safety. The ONLY thing that could kill Him, did in fact kill Him. And that is, His own toughness.

Well, it could be based more on the Frenzied Berserker PrC from 3E, which has no such disadvantages.

It's something new, and I don't think of it as "going beserk". My character studied rare books on martial arts from all over the world, and learned how to steady his mind as apposed to allowing some kind of primal rage to take over. It's not a transformation into some reckless, because his defenses IMPROVE. His strikes become more surgical and precise, and his mind becomes an incorruptible fortress of solace. He has achieved his skill through meditation, his INT is high. Javalus is paving the way to a NEW class, and I call it: The Sageblades. Educated martial experts.