Skip to content

Feature Request: New Faiths/Gods to worship, plus associated kits and spells for Clerics

LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
I would like there to be more than just three choices for clerics to worship, such as Auril, Malar, Selune, Chauntea, Milil, Illmater, etc. as well as their associated Specialty Priest kits added to the game. I would also like Specialty Priest spells for specific faiths added to the game, including Lolth Spells to the Underdark section. I can help with this, having the Faiths and Avatars, Demihuman Deities and Priests and Powers books in my collection.

But basically, it would be nice to have more choices than three for clerics.

Comments

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    I'd also like the current priests kits to receive their proper bonuses and penalties. Since they seem to be an attempt to implement Mythos priests. That of course means changing their equipment rules and spell access, depending on what rules the deities have for their most devoted. (like Clerics of Talos not being able to cast any healing spells, but gain several weather or elemental related spells).
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582

I'd also like the current priests kits to receive their proper bonuses and penalties. Since they seem to be an attempt to implement Mythos priests. That of course means changing their equipment rules and spell access, depending on what rules the deities have for their most devoted. (like Clerics of Talos not being able to cast any healing spells, but gain several weather or elemental related spells).

Equipment usabilities--specifically allowing a kit to use equipment denied to the base class (eg spears for talos)--may be impossible (ie require more changes to the IE than are feasible*).

I think the only way you will see something like this is with a mod and the only way I know to mod this is to change usabilities if the base class. There are some opcodes (which I think require tobex but anyway should eventually work in bgee if they don't already) that disallow usability of specific items. in my experience this method looks "hacky" beside the "normal" usability system. The items aren't greyed out and rather than getting a message ' you can't equip this item' it just doesn't allow you to equip the item. This may be different in bgee (or change in future iterations) but if not the best alternative might be a complete rework of usabilities (ala the "faiths of farune"(sp) mod--actually I've never tested it so it may look natural as it's supposed to work along side of the "standard"system) which I assume is outside the purview of core bgee.

unique spell lists are doable (and have been done in a few mods already) though I'm not sure about the details. One method I know of (discovered by demiv..(sp)) of the 'revisions' mods) is a little bit "hacky" as you see the original spell list for a second on level up. I believe the engine likes to assign the original spellist at each level up.

I guess what I'm saying is this might be more feasible as a mod request.

*full disclosure: I don't know what, exactly, this would entail. It may be easier than I think though I doubt it (heh, obviously :) )
    edited July 2013
    It's totally easy to set it up, but the usability flags are on each individual item, rather then the class itself, so you'd have to manually change each kit access on all applicable items (time consuming, but not the slightest bit hard).

It's totally easy to set it up, but the usability flags are on each individual item, rather then the class itself, so you'd have to manually change each kit access on all applicable items (time consuming, but not the slightest bit hard).

You only have so many slots (3 plus base class). This is fine if every single cleric kit had the same usabilities as either a cleric of talos, lathander or helm and you were fine with the base cleric having access to all equipment usable by any of the kits (kits can't have access to items barred to the base class).

(unless there is something different about BGEE...)

btw, there are ways to automate it (assuming Weidu works with BGEE--does it yet?) so it's not actually that time consuming
    Depends on the editor you're using. The ones with gui tend to be pretty limited, but ones that just crack open the item file and let you mess with the data directly can do almost anything. (You just have to know EXACTLY what you're doing).

(NI though allows individual customization for all classes and kits in the game, despite having a rather user friendly gui. I already modded my own Talos to have proper guidelines, so I know it's totally possible to do (Just no idea how to make custom kits, so I'm just modifying existing kits to be more PnP accurate)).

Depends on the editor you're using. The ones with gui tend to be pretty limited, but ones that just crack open the item file and let you mess with the data directly can do almost anything. (You just have to know EXACTLY what you're doing).

(NI though allows individual customization for all classes and kits in the game, despite having a rather user friendly gui. I already modded my own Talos to have proper guidelines, so I know it's totally possible to do (Just no idea how to make custom kits, so I'm just modifying existing kits to be more PnP accurate)).

Interesting. Can this priest of talos use items the base cleric can't?
    Of course. Easily done. Just have to play around with your favorite editor. (I know for sure NI can do it).

Of course. Easily done. Just have to play around with your favorite editor. (I know for sure NI can do it).

The editors don't change the basic behavior of the engine. All kits (excepting wizard slayer and beast master) can already 'use' all items (you can check each item yourself). But, for example, priests of talos are still limited to blunt only weapons because the base class is limited to only blunt items. The usability system is really an 'unusability' system; if one 'component' of your class--either the base class or the kit--can't use a particular item, you can't use it. (m/c's have their own usabilities thankfully!).

From this I can only guess that BGEE has changed a lot (and in a very good way!) or you haven't had a chance to test it yet...

• NalrashidoNalrashido Member Posts: 31
    I'd worship Thoth :D
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Nalrashido He's part of the Mulhorandi Pantheon. :)
    He's pretty much Oghma (with touches of Jergal)...you aren't really missing much.
    @LadyRhian I know I prefer him over Oghma
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    I found it odd that there wasn't any mention of Velsharoon in the entire BG series, even though he ascended to godhood in 1368 DR: the same year in which BG begins.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    And Kelemvor!
    Oh god Kelemvor :(
    I find Thoth and the Mulhorandi Pantheon a bit more interesting than a few deities of the Faerunian pantheon
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Nalrashido That's because they are based on actual real-life pagan deities. But the Realms has tons of deities, like Ubtao, Hiatea, and so on, not all of which are the "usual" FR Deities. I like Eshowdow as an idea. He is literally the shadow of Ubtao, the evil to his good, and so on, which also makes him Ubtao's shadow aspect. :)
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    The change in Kelemvor's personality was brilliant and the distance it put between him and Mystra. I found it rather interesting as he slowly became the neutral grey deity he is today...
    Also they still can be worshiped in 4e.