Skip to content

You know how the first review will go...

2»

Comments

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    So, the question is, how do we avoid getting those bad reviews?
    From an area look standpoint, I'm not worried, Russ worked on BG1 and BG2 and he's doing very well with matching the look / feel.

-Trent
    As far as I am concerned, they simply shouldn't happen. Graphically, Baldur's Gate is a work of art, and any reviews bashing that fact is basically a bad review. Even animations, spell casting, character movement, it's all smooth and very good looking.
    Besides, you added new resolution support as well as zoom in/zoom out, which in my opinion is quite a big deal and improvement.

• SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
    The funny thing is if you get Baldur's Gate running through a mod that lets you use the BGII version of the Infinity Engine, and then slap on the widescreen on what you are basically left with are gorgeous hand drawn art backdrops. Which to be honest allows the game to age very well. All the EE has to do is perhaps update the sprites and animations just a little, and you have a game that looks very nice indeed.

Just because something is 3D and CGI does not mean it replaces traditional art, I'd wager there are more actual by hand prints and paintings on people's walls than CGI scenes. I'd say it was only with Neverwinter Nights 2 and Diablo III that 3D game engines have come close to matching a high res playthrough of the Baldur's Gate series. Even Dragon Age doesn't come close IMO.