Skip to content

Character creator?

BoogieManBoogieMan Member Posts: 4
Does anyone know of a character creator or generator that is for BG or at least for the same version of the DND rules? I figured I should try to spice up my next game in the Enhanced Edition with some dual classing. I'd like to try and plan ahead and check out different combinations. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    What I usually do when I want to check class progression out ahead of time is to create characters in-game and then just boost their exp incrementally with shadowkeeper or the console.
  • beerflavourbeerflavour Member Posts: 117
    edited July 2012
    You don't really need a character generator or planner for that.

Only humans can dual class per aD&D rules. Additionally there are the engine restrictions which restrict dual classing to some allowed multi-class combinations (fighter/cleric, fighter/druid, fighter/thief, ranger/cleric, cleric/thief, thief/mage, cleric/mage, fighter/mage). Just remember that a character has to have some additional minimum requirements to be allowed to dual class. The prime ability scores of the first class must be at least 15. The prime ability scores of the 2nd class must be at least 17.

Fighter (prime ability score strength)
    Cleric (prime ability score wisdom)
    Druid (prime ability score wisdom, charisma)
    Wizard (prime ability score intelligence)
    Thief (prime ability score dexterity)
    Ranger (prime ability score strength, dexterity, wisdom)

But you can test your build with classic BG1 or BG2 or IWD. Create your character. After the game starts you can activate the LUA console for cheating and give the character some experience to level up.

On the character screen there is a button "dual class". It will be active if your character is allowed to dual class. It is greyed out when you don't meet the criteria. You start your adventuring career in one class and at the earliest can dual-class when reaching 2nd level.
  • RufusRufus Member Posts: 11
    There isn't ONE standalone charcreator for BG??
    Kinda sucks.... My CD copy of bg2 is broken and i won't buy a new one just before the release of bg:ee =/
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Hm. What would be interesting is an online character generator that let you roll something up, fiddle with the points, and spit out the appropriate .CHR file to import into BG:EE, classic BG TotSC, or classic BG2:SoA and ToB.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Brude said:

Hm. What would be interesting is an online character generator that let you roll something up, fiddle with the points, and spit out the appropriate .CHR file to import into BG:EE, classic BG TotSC, or classic BG2:SoA and ToB.

And try out different gear too

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Not to be sardonic, but...doesn't Shadowkeeper already do that?

Just open up the exported character from your game that you want to play around with, adjust to your liking, and save it as something new.

It doesn't have a stat-roller, although that wouldn't be too difficult to implement.

As for planning your character's dual-class development, a good resource would probably be the XP progression tables. Each class has a different progression, which means (for example) that you'll be able to dual-class into Thief much later than to Paladin or Cleric and still be able to catch up to your first class.

Assuming a 150k XP cap, for example, you could do any one of the following:

Fighter 7 / Mage 7 (64k + 60k = 124k)
    Ranger 7 / Thief 8 (75k + 70k = 145k)
    Mage 6 / Thief 9 (40k + 110k = 150k)

And so on. Of course, the XP cap for the EE will be higher, but that will give you something to help you plan.