Skip to content

BG1: Weapons degrade instead of outright breaking?

BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
I just sort of had an epiphany when going through the thread where I had suggested Masterwork items. A couple of other posters suggested that even they still be breakable.

Why not just change all normal items to have 100 "charges." Each swing will reduce the number of "charges" a normal weapon has, until *akorse* it reduces down to zero. When a normal weapon reaches zero charges, aka 100 swings of the weapon, it breaks.

This would be much better than a random 1% chance of a weapon breaking. Allow me to explain.

First of all, each weapon will have a "counter" displayed in the corner of the icon. For new players, they will wonder what this is about (later for them to discover the Iron Crisis).

Secondly, a counter will let a player know about how much usefulness is left in the weapon in hand. Any fighter would have a rough idea of their weapon was beginning to break down.

Finally, normal weapons can follow a path of degradation, of being less effective with each use. Say for example, Masterwork items are introduced. They could have 300 charges/swings, after which they would degrade into being a "normal" weapon (when charges are used up, weapon is replaced). Then after 50 swings of the normal weapon, it would break down into a "crude/worn" weapon with -2 damage. Then after the "Crude" weapon breaks after 30 swings, the weapon could finally break.

You could have it by Swings/Attacks or actual hits on the counter, whichever would make more sense.

You could even scale it up a bit, as follows:

Magical +2 (never degrade).
Magical +1 (1000 swings). -->
Masterwork (300-500 swings). -->
Normal Weapon (50-100 swings). -->
Worn Weapon (30-50 swings). -->
Item is broken.

What do you all think?

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    If memory serves, this solution would be inconsistent with the ingame description of the iron crisis, whereby it is said that weapons just crumble to dust or something like that. Basically, they make it explicitly clear that the iron is decaying, like, sueprfast. Introducing a gradual weapon breakage would be a glaring deviation from the original intent.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    Boaster said:

Secondly, a counter will let a player know about how much usefulness is left in the weapon in hand. Any fighter would have a rough idea of their weapon was beginning to break down.

As a person who trained fencing with saber for over two years, I can tell that no, no they wouldn't. I was taken completely by surprise when a part of my saber's hilt suddenly sailed across the room in the middle of fight - and I did tinker with the hilt after every training, (to tighten a screw that tended to get loose), and there was never any indication that this piece could break away - up until the point when it did.

And from the tales I heard from much more experienced fencers I can surmise that weapon-breaking is a completely random occurrence - that's how it was portrayed in BG, and that's how it should stay.

• The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Exactly. @Syntia13. And please, magical weapons breaking because of simple use goes pretty much against everything in D&D lore. Item degradation is such an annoying "feature" in games that have it: see Fallout 3 reviews for what people think of it. I wouldn't want it in BG.
  • DelvonDelvon Member Posts: 77
    With such an implementation one would probably also have to include a repairing mechanism. Either through vendors, and/or with party characters. I'd assume then coding, including different ways in which attributes and skills affect it, would be pretty deep and laborious. I think this could be a mod for those who enjoyed the constant repair-fest from Fallout 3 or a similar hoarding mentality from e.g. the Fire Emblem -series. I don't mind the breaking of basic weapons, but getting good equipment which then would break, would equally break my heart.
  • LilacorLilacor Member Posts: 8
    If it's not broke, why fix it? The original BG system is how it was originally intended, and npcs make reference to it and how it works.

Why take something that complete works and people are familiar with, and make it more complicated, new and strange?
  • LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    I think the game works fine the way at is as far as this mechanic is concerned.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Well, it was a thought worth sharing :)