Skip to content

Stats for a Cleric/illusionist

Hello to all of you!
I'm planing a run(Bg:EE + BG2(EE?)) with a Cleric/illusionist. Now I got a roll of 95(on my 10th reroll) which means that I can max out most of the stats that I need (Dex,Con,Int,Wiz) but then I ran into something of a headache.
Do I get 18 in Str and 5 i Cha, or do I take 15 Str (for big shield) and 8 in Cha?

I can't really remeber if Cha is used for otherthings then merchant prices or not. (read somewhere that it can influense party interactions aswell).

Please help me friendly forum members, you're my only hope!

/Cheers Rangeltoft

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Doesn't really matter but I'd just get the 18 STR.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    18 DEX
    16 CON
    18 WIS
    18 INT
    xx STR
    xx CHA
    You mean 17 WIS 19 INT of course.
  • RangeltoftRangeltoft Member Posts: 83
    SionIV - As its a gnome character, that 17wis/19int..aswell as 18 con due to shorty ST.
    FinneousPJ - That will allow me to carry more stuff
    edited July 2013
    It's not worth 2 con for +1 saving throw so i would stick with 16 con there. Saving throws aren't even that important on a C/M.
    SionIV - So it would end up something like: Dex18,Con16,Int19,Wis17,Str18,Cha7?
    I'd say the CON makes more sense than 7 CHA which does nothing.
    It depends on how much power gaming / RP you want. I don't min/max my character so i could never have that low CHA.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2013
    17 DEX
    17 CON
    17 WIS
    19 INT
    18 STR
    8 CHA

With tomes this will become

18 DEX
    18 CON
    20 WIS
    20 INT
    19 STR
    9 CHA
    Not really a powergamer, but I tend to roll untill I get somewhat good stats.
    Always roleplay my gnome characters to be grumpy and not really a people person, so low Cha, isnt all that wrong for me.
    elminster - Thats a good Point, didnt really think about the tomes
    elminster said:

17 DEX
    17 CON
    17 WIS
    19 INT
    18 STR
    8 CHA

18 DEX
    18 CON
    20 WIS
    20 INT
    19 STR
    9 CHA

Yeah but

18 DEX
    17 CON
    17 WIS
    19 INT
    18 STR
    06 CHA

will become

19 DEX
    18 CON
    20 WIS
    20 INT
    19 STR
    07 CHA

which is slightly better lol. Or start with 18 CON and give the Tome to Minsc or someone (else) who really needs it

elminster said:

17 DEX
    17 CON
    17 WIS
    19 INT
    18 STR
    8 CHA

18 DEX
    18 CON
    20 WIS
    20 INT
    19 STR
    9 CHA

Yeah but

18 DEX
    17 CON
    17 WIS
    19 INT
    18 STR
    06 CHA

will become

19 DEX
    18 CON
    20 WIS
    20 INT
    19 STR
    07 CHA

which is slightly better lol. Or start with 18 CON and give the Tome to Minsc or someone (else) who really needs it
    Sure if you want to totally powergame this but I was going for at least some effort to keep charisma as close to 10 as possible.
    There is absolutely no reason to get 19 dex unless you're a rogue.

18 DEX -> AC bonus
    21 DEX -> AC bonus

So unless you can get 19 somehow then staying at 18 is the best choise. He won't need ranged Thac0 on that character anyway.
    My C/M used a sling ;)

My C/M used a sling ;)

So does mine, for early game. And that +1 Thac0 isn't going to save you :P
  • leddyhsleddyhs Member Posts: 54
    I use con as a dump stat for cleric/mages (7). They are too busy casting spells to ever really engage in melee. And if they do, there's always a mirror image, stoneskin or any such spell that completely negates the need for hitpoints and then STR for hitting things and DEX for AC bonuses play their role.
    leddyhs said:

I use con as a dump stat for cleric/mages (7). They are too busy casting spells to ever really engage in melee. And if they do, there's always a mirror image, stoneskin or any such spell that completely negates the need for hitpoints and then STR for hitting things and DEX for AC bonuses play their role.

It is possible to play like this and be immune to everything, but if a stray fireball hit you when you don't have up a shield you'll instantly die with that Con.
    SionIV said:

leddyhs said:

It is possible to play like this and be immune to everything, but if a stray fireball hit you when you don't have up a shield you'll instantly die with that Con.
    Also one of your benefits of being a gnome is the shorty saves. Why only settle for +2 bonus against spells and wands when you can have +5? (along with 20 more health than someone with 7 CON). I'd use charisma, strength, or even intelligence as a dump stat before I did that to CON.
    elminster said:

SionIV said:

leddyhs said:

Also one of your benefits of being a gnome is the shorty saves. Why only settle for +2 bonus against spells and wands when you can have +5? (along with 20 more health than someone with 7 CON). I'd use charisma, strength, or even intelligence as a dump stat before I did that to CON.
    I would rate them like this from most important to least.

Dexterity
    Constitution
    Intelligence
    Strength
    Wisdom
    Charisma

I would go

Constitution
    Dexterity
    Wisdom
    Intelligence
    Strength
    Charisma
    edited July 2013
    elminster said:

I would go

Constitution
    Dexterity
    Wisdom
    Intelligence
    Strength
    Charisma

Dexterity is more important than Constitution thanks to the AC, it's better to not get hit at all than to have more health. Also the bonus to ranged Thac0 will help immensly in BG1. Also the extra AC will help your mirror images to keep alive longer, with the extra health from constitution you'll get hit more often and that health won't save you.

I rate intelligence over wisdom because of mind flayers and such in BG2. You'll have so many spells as a divine caster anyway that the wisdom won't really matter that much.
    SionIV said:

elminster said:

I would go

Constitution
    Dexterity
    Wisdom
    Intelligence
    Strength
    Charisma

Dexterity is more important than Constitution thanks to the AC, it's better to not get hit at all than to have more health. Also the bonus to ranged Thac0 will help immensly in BG1. Also the extra AC will help your mirror images to keep alive longer, with the extra health from constitution you'll get hit more often and that health won't save you.

I rate intelligence over wisdom because of mind flayers and such in BG2. You'll have so many spells as a divine caster anyway that the wisdom won't really matter that much.
    Suffice to say I totally disagree.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    Do you RP a donkey? No, than 13 ST and 10 CH. You cant use a shield while casting arcana magic anyway.
    I'd recall you can use a shield just fine.
    You can wield a shield fine while casting arcane magic in BG. The only thing preventing you from casting arcane magic are armors.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    Thats buggier than bugs on Bugs bunny....
    Actually it isn't a bug, it was a designer choise.