Skip to content

too lazy to sign up elsewhere: diy pc build monitor question

ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
edited July 2013 in Off-Topic
yeah i don't want to sign up for another site and have a question. baldurs gate is mainly a pc fanbase (now with some ios and mac people) and thought i could ask this question here before i go to another place and probably adding on to my spam mail. i just did a diy build for the first time and surprisingly it went A-OKAY! It is working now and I can see the fan and power supply led, everything is running. however, i plugged into our current monitor and i couldn't get it to show anything so that i can make sure that everything is really working okay. it is an older monitor and maybe doesn't support my card if that is even possible with monitors. my graphics card is msi radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128 bit GDDR5 that I know is compatible with the motherboard and power supply because they are 3 items out of 7 in a combo that I got so I know that is not the case. I don't know the model of the monitor and I believe we've had it for a while so it could be incompatible and if that is the case I will know when I plug this into my new monitor. However are there any other things I could have missed in a DIY that could cause it to not work with the monitor because I could have missed a cable or something but i just can't find the solution. and if i install video drivers like a recommendation i've seen how would i without a monitor to see the installation? thank you to anybody who can help me i would give you 100 insightfuls if i could for helping to make my future in gaming away from the consoles :)

also, i am not just some noob so you don't need to go telling me i shouldn't do it myself. i have been training at a pc repair store and have had their help doing some diy, but this one was all me. i looked up tutorials, read the manuals, and used common sense along with all the knowledge they had taught me. i think i did pretty good for my first time solo and it was an experience, even if i had to backtrack once or twice because i missed something that was then blocked.
Post edited by ChildofBhaal599 on