Skip to content

Wait, what? Baldur's Gate and NWN connected?

2»

Comments

• chrstnmonkschrstnmonks Member Posts: 176
    i liked nwn and the expansions just fine. they were pretty fun
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268

Yeah....Bioware tends to drop the ball BADLY...when it comes to 3rd parts (ToB....ME3....TOR). DA might dodge the bullet though, since DA2 was so godawful.

We can only hope...

I must be one of the few people who didn't mind the NWN1 OC. Yes, it was stale. Yes, it was boring. Yes, the maps seemed about as warm and inviting as Bodhi's pantaloons. It was still head and shoulders above the competition when it came out. And the persistent worlds, OH the worlds! That's how you make a great game; give the players the same sandbox the developers played in and let them go nuts.

SoU was awesome. HOTU was a fantastic dungeon crawler but would have been mediocre if it wasn't for the fact you were epic level.

NWN2 OC sucks. I hate it. The only reason I still play it is so that I can import Fortified Armour into Mask of the Betrayer. MOTB is, by the way, has THE BEST evil play through in a game ever. You're not just some evil jackass running around stabbing the odd beggar, you're literally a force of pure savage destruction that makes the Gods quake in fear.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Yeah the persistant worlds are (note the present tense), the best part of NWN. It more closely captures that table-top feel, since you're actually meeting and interacting with new people, in a generally less scripted world, with active GMs to create on the fly events. I still play Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist, off and on, between other games.

My biggest hate for NWN2 is the godawful interface (NWN1's was already pretty close to perfect, aside from camera controls...and not only did they F the interface up, they made the camera even WORSE), the lack of improvements to classes from NWN1 (most were just copy-pasted as is from NWN1), the HORRIBLE graphics (especially the spell effects), utterly raping the Warlock class (they should've never bothered adding it at all, if THAT was the best they could do). The wooden, unlikable party members that not once evoked a single moment of caring about. Several other things, but those are at the top.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688

i liked nwn and the expansions just fine. they were pretty fun

I've never been a real fan of the game. To me the story and areas of the vanilla game and the first add-ons were mostly very bland compared to the IE games.
    However, I believe later add-ons allow for great worlds to be crated for multiplayer. The user-created servers I've seem at least were much better than most of the original stuff. :)

• TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268

The wooden, unlikable party members that not once evoked a single moment of caring about. Several other things, but those are at the top.

NWN2: MOTB suffered the same fate here. Thankfully One of Many has enough awesome flavour to make up for it. He's one of my favourite NPCs ever.

"Wait a second, you mean to tell me that in order to get the best magical item in the game, I have to eat the souls of these annoying jerks? I'm in!"
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    edited July 2013
    I actually liked Bishop from NWN2... I was hoping he'd be romanceable. Which probably showcases my horrible taste in men now that i think about it >_> Always looking for that badboy with the heart of gold only for me... sigh. Of course he turns out to be a jerk in the end like they all do.
  • kabkab Member Posts: 75
    I didn't like NWN at all. NWN2 was alright. One of the few games Obsidian Entertainment managed to actually finish, unlike say KOTOR2 with it's "oops we're out of time" ending and half the content cut.