Skip to content

Militiaman Kit help

BoinkerBoinker Member Posts: 8
Kinda evolution of my search for most comfortable class for saga. Also thought that it'd be cool for Beamdog to make a competition for class kits with inclusion of winner kit in oficial BG2:EE, since it seems to be quite basic and fun modding.
I'm trying to make custom kit for thief: Militiaman.
Unable to arm people with costly conventional weapons and armor, commonfolk of swordcoast employ defensive squads experienced in guerilla tactics, utilizing simple and cheap weapons like clubs, quaterstaff and especially slings(Yay!) to their full potential.

Advantages:
- May achieve grandmastery in slings
- +1 to damage/thac0 with slings for every 4 levels of Militiaman
- At level 5 Militiaman may use Improve Bullets 1/day
* Improve Bullets: Simple bullet confers low damage, espicially to armored targets and magically enhanced ones costs considerable amount of gold. As such many Militiamen try to improve their ammunition themselves by ballance and use of simple cantrips. Improve Bullets generate 10 +1 bullets. Number of created bullets raises by five each fith level. Bonus improves by +1 at 15, 25 and 35.
- At level 6 Militiaman may use Expeditious Retreat 1/day. at levels 9, 12, and 15 he gains additional uses of it. At level 18 Expeditious Retreat affects all party members
*Expeditious Retreat: Militia tactics assume frequent formation reassembling and maintaining field control. Experienced Militiaman may double her movement speed for a number of rounds equal her level.
- At level 8 Militiaman learns to use staves deffensively, gaining +1 AC while weilding them. Bonus improves to +2 at level 16
- At level 11 Militiaman may use Disbalancing Shot 1/day.
Disbalancing Shot. Militiaman performs a tricky feint shot with +4 bonus to thac0, trying to make enemy lose his balance and concentration in order to give his squad a better chance at hitting target. Disbalancing Shot confers no damage to target. Insted if target is hit, spellcasting is interrupted and target suffers -5AC penalty for 1 round. At level 21 and 31 Militiaman gets additional uses of Disabling Shot per day
Disadvantages:
- May be *proficient* only with quarterstaffs, clubs, darts and knifes
- Backstabbing capped at x3
- Only 20 points thieving skills to distribute at level up
- -1 intelligence at character generation: army training is harsh and demotivates free thinking
- Halflings, Gnomes and Humans only
- Alignment: any non-chaotic

I feel that such a class would fill a niche left by Archer for ranged sling fighter, adding a nice dual option of militiaman->mage/cleric, by giving some value for casters in mundane fights, while still having him away from heat of melee.
Plus some nice trump tactical abilities, like Expeditious Retreat, or Disbalancing Shot.

Well, and since I did already got myself into all this modding stuff, I'd also like to add encounter of Relentless Militia undead halfling militia raised to service again by a grateful necromancer. Their settlement abandoned by their descendants eons ago and only skeleton slingers still carrying their duties...
I think a couple of them could prove quite deadly if provided with Sirine's AI and haste.

I'd like to ask if this isn't overpowered and also for ER: I can mod Haste spell, for Slings bonuses - Archer boni, where to look for DS and IB? HLAs for making elemental/effect bullets maybe?

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Might be hard to get Disbalancing shot to work in the game, and i think it would be nice if it knocked the enemy down for a set of rounds instead of the - AC. Other than that i really like it.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    As non-fighters currently don't get extra attacks for proficiency, grand mastery for a thief kit is nearly pointless (though of course it helps to be able to go higher than the first pip).
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    We're still talking about +4-5 damage +3-4 Thac0 from your normal proficiency.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Aye, I was remarking on the last pip to grand mastery. Of course 3-4 pips compared to one is a big difference, but there is very little incentive to go all the way.