Skip to content

I've caught the solo bug

I never used to like solo-ing, because I found it too difficult (i still can't do no reloads) and wanted the NPC interaction, but recently I've really enjoyed a couple of solo runs with unlikely characters, I'm always thinking of ways to use class/kit advantages to solo. for example, for the my next run I'm thinking archer with darts** and bows****. at lvl 8 when called shot accumatively penalises thac0 and saves vs spells by 1 per hit, combine this with the high apr of darts, i can see him being beastly

AND darts of stunning requires saves vs spells to stun, so with the 5 apr from darts (with haste), how can he fail to stun enemies? i tried a monk solo using the darts of stunning tactic, but eventually it got to the point, in some fights, where if i didn't make the stun on the first hit i'd reload and try again

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Do darts of stunning penetrate protection from normal missiles? I don't think it does under SCS, but mayhap in vanilla. Also for enemies immune to non-magical weapons you may have to bring a fair amount of +1 arrows or better.. opponents that are both immune and quick, like vampiric wolves, may be tricky. Still, as so many encounters can be kited pretty much infinitely even in small spaces, it seems like a good setup.. even more so once you get the boots of speed.
  • TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180
    There is a peculiar fun to be had in rolling the perfect class combo. NWN is sublime in this regard, even moreso with the Player Resource Consortium pack, but I digress...

I haven't played with a party since my first couple of playthroughs, though I might pick up certain people here and there to not appear like a complete jerkface but mostly after it was said and done, we parted amicably. PlaneScape: Torment is especially responsible for this philosophy, that game took companions and wouldn't let you look away until you saw the hell you dragged them through.

So I solo mainly for RP reasons, maybe with a good helping of metagaming knowledge. That archer would be nice if called-shot works like that, I remember wondering if the save vs spells penalty was cumulative, it'd certainly work better than monk due to the rangers better thAC0 charts even if you don't get to taijutsu Sarevok to death.

I imagine that the darts of stunning won't be used one-after-the-other from the outset, you could use the dart of requisite enchantment until you stacked the debuff enough to almost guarantee a stun with just 1 or a few darts. The problem lies in there regularly being groups of 5+ enemies.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    I love playing solo, the only problem i have is that it's too easy to get experience. So i'm going to have to start looking into mods that reduce the amount of experience you get.

Solo
    SCS
    6 party experience
    No reload

Yes please.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Simding0 had a mod that reduced the experience gained, for BG2 and BGT - never tried getting it to work on EE though. Barring that it's possible that you could just utilize an opcode to modify your character directly, but didn't try that either.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    SionIV said:

I love playing solo, the only problem i have is that it's too easy to get experience. So i'm going to have to start looking into mods that reduce the amount of experience you get.

Solo
    SCS
    6 party experience
    No reload

Yes please.

Shouldn't be too hard to make a small Weidu mod that reduces exp from kills.
    Don't know how it's with Quest exp.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Freche said:

SionIV said:

Solo
    SCS
    6 party experience
    No reload

Yes please.

Shouldn't be too hard to make a small Weidu mod that reduces exp from kills.
    Don't know how it's with Quest exp.
    I have used two mods before but it ended up with % so i could get 1732 for a quest which kind of broke the immersion for me. The new mod would have to be something like 30 000 quest reward : 5 000 - 8 000 etc and not 4444.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    Shin said:

Do darts of stunning penetrate protection from normal missiles? I don't think it does under SCS, but mayhap in vanilla. Also for enemies immune to non-magical weapons you may have to bring a fair amount of +1 arrows or better.. opponents that are both immune and quick, like vampiric wolves, may be tricky. Still, as so many encounters can be kited pretty much infinitely even in small spaces, it seems like a good setup.. even more so once you get the boots of speed.

not sure on my SCS set-up, but I do know that I could stun Slythe with them and I'm sure he raises some protections

with the monk I was able to stealth in and dart them before protections were raised, this dealt with cythandria. i didn't fight anyone that i couldn't jump with stealth and avoided all avoidable difficult fights (e.g. bandit camp tent battle: stealth in, open chest, talk to ender, get out of there)

i'd probably try a similar thing with the archer