Skip to content

beneficial bugs in games

ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
edited July 2013 in Off-Topic
so i was playing dark souls today and start trying to invade other worlds because i needed humanity. after i finally got into a world, i was immediately booted and placed back in my world. my eyes immediately went down to my souls count and i was amazed by what i saw: over half a million souls out of nowhere! i, however, am going to pretend like this never happened because this is a game that is supposed to be intense and doubling my level would get rid of the intensity for a long time. it would probably be late game that i finally face a challenge again. i was wondering from you guys, however, what you do when you experience a bug that you benefit from?
  1. beneficial bugs in games27 votes
    1. it happened so i guess i am lucky. shouldn't throw away a gift :)
      25.93%
    2. it will change the experience and remove some of the challenge. i would not utilize it and if i can get rid of it
      22.22%
    3. i would accept a smaller beneficial bug, but that is just ridiculous!
      33.33%
    4. i would take it only if it is minor to the point that i could only buy one item/gain one level/etc
      18.52%

Comments

• MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Well, a bug so large that it removes the challenge til end game is kind of... Boring.

But in Total War games, the AI sometimes just does something completely idiotic, like standing there or getting stuck on a wall while you attack them. Normally I would be able to crush them anyhow, but if its in a siege battle that I have no hope of otherwise winning simply because I am so hopelessly outnumbered, I'll take it. Victory at any cost.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Yup....everyone could probably guess what my answer was going to be....haha.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    There is no "benefictial bugs" in my dictionary.
  • ImperatorImperator Member Posts: 154
    I wouldn't say no to a hundred euro note I find on the ground. 500 euros might be a bit too much, though.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Something like that happens, I would probably just go "well, that happened" and take it.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    edited July 2013
    Its not a bug, its a feature!
    Post edited by CoM_Solaufein on
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited July 2013
    Ha, I had the same thing happen to me in Dark Souls. I didn't have your restraint though, and I went ahead and used the souls. Although I think at the point that happened I was just tooling around in New Game+, so I didn't really end up doing much with it anyways.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    I only use glitches whenever I really want to speed up some sort of grinding process i.e. Bottomless box/Dragon head glitches (I am currently playing in an unpatched game of dark souls to exploit these glitches), level 99 mob glitch in Disgaea, Alchemy/restoration exploit in Skyrim, or if i just want to mess around in the game, such as the infinite glitches in Pokemon Red, or Ocarina of Time.
    The skyrim thing isn't really an exploit though.....it's been available in every Elder scrolls since Daggerfall. That one really and honestly is just creative use of game mechanics and is actually vaguely referenced in one of the in-game tomes in Morrowind. (even the consequences of crashing the game if you go too far is lampshaded, as some alchemists attempting to tread in the domain of gods being wiped from existence from reaching too far).
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    @oneangrymushroom btw I met some of your friends in the forest before the great wolf fight. unfortunately the lock on worked so I assumed them hostile and killed one. luckily they didn't seem to mind :)

also, I don't need to restrain myself anymore. I ended up dying later and then losing it all in new londo. heck, I am beginning to feel like those souls were like nothing. the four kings boss might have still been a challenge even if I used them, and I am getting a feeling like there is more to do before I face him, or I am going to have to go really grind heavy on my gameplay.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    @ChildofBhaal599
    Actually most of the time I'm a dedicated sunbro but I join other covenents to abuse glitches or get rare items.
    Until then
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Too bad baldurs gate doesn't have any.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    @TeflonTeflon
    Sure it does; it's called the CLUAConsole ;)
    @Teflon

R/C bull#%^$ is entirely a bug. The class combo is perfectly valid...it's spell casting progression is NOT.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Oh console, well I thought console command not included to bug.
    In that pov well you got the point.
    @ZanathKariashi R/C you mean ranger/cleric ?
    Well if bg2:ee is released much later it woulf worth a shot :)
    Since I am a user who likes exploitation.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    CHEEEEEESEEE CHEEEEEESEEEEE I LOVE IT!!!!
    There is only one thing better than cheesing.
    And I do not have to mention it, everybody knows it.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    If there's a bug that makes my characters do max damage for a single battle, I'm fine with it.
    If it's a bug that boosts everyone to level 29 when we're just starting out, I'll reload.

In other words, I don't mind the occasional beneficial bug (just like I'm fairly ok with the occasional non-beneficial bug) but anything that actually changes the game in its entirerity is not ok in my book.
  • ErinneErinne Member Posts: 151
    Teflon said:

Fake talk?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2013
    Erinne said:

Teflon said:

Fake talk?
    For sure.
    Chain contingency with P image set to state helpless, cast spell immunity: divination cast project image and you will have two Images going side by side, and no one can destroy them with true sight. also put a thing like Invisibility in the C. Contingency if you don't want to get chuncked. And that is only the start. POWERGAMING FTW!
  • Xei_Win_TohXei_Win_Toh Member Posts: 43
    Picked option 1 here, since on a Baldur's Gate forum I'm in a single-player mindset.
    In single-player games, I'm perfectly fine with using bugs to my advantage, since the story is usually more interesting than the challenge. (also I'm the only one affected by it.

In multi-player games, however, it's the opposite.